Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Super J

angelboy

[quote name='angelboy' post='73878' date='Oct 13 2007, 05:52 PM']Wondered what the fanned fretts are like.[/quote]
I played a passive Dingwall in Florida last year and the frets weren't a problem after the first 5 mins. It was very easy to adapt to. It felt good, played well and sounded great.

My main bass is a Dingwall Prima 5. The fanned frets are amazing and pretty easy to adapt to - it's a LOT different when you hold the bass than when you look at it from the front. Actually, I'm still surprised when I play and I walk by a mirror, because they seem so... fanned :) but they feel mostly normal.
I haven't played a super j, but having played a lot of dingwalls (prima, voodoo and Zs) I know I can only expect perfection from Sheldon.

I played Toasted's Jazz and thought it was very nice - obviously well put together, a little too radical for my tastes but the low strings reminded me of my 36" Bacchus with their deep and resonant response. Like others have said, really it feels very natural and wouldn't take anyone long to adjust.

Toasted's bass is at the Gallery in Camden if you fancy trying it for yourself.

The theory is that the lower strings benefit from the extra scale (the merits of which are contested themselves, but I have had nothing but fantastic experiences with extra scale basses..) and the higher strings benefit from a slightly shorter scale. The 'standard' 34" scale is basically a compromise between the two ideals. It might narrow down string choice though, I can't remember if it was string thru body or not.

The lower strings have bigger tension than on usual basses, which means greater definition, more even string-to-string tension and string-to-string tone. I always thought my 34" warwick had a great B string until I played a Dingwall... after that, it was a matter of months before I got the funds together and replaced the warwick with my prima. No regrets whatsoever.

[quote name='angelboy' post='73987' date='Oct 13 2007, 11:12 PM']Is it purely aesthetics or is there a benefit to the fanning?

Is it just a bit of a gimmick?[/quote]
Pianos and harps have longer bass strings and shorter treble strings in order to improve the tone of the note and the tuning of the instrument. That's not a gimmick.

[quote name='chris_b' post='74003' date='Oct 14 2007, 12:46 AM']Pianos and harps have longer bass strings and shorter treble strings in order to improve the tone of the note and the tuning of the instrument. That's not a gimmick.[/quote]

Makes sense when you explain it like that!

[quote name='fullrangebass' post='74052' date='Oct 14 2007, 09:14 AM']I now own Toasted's Super J Dingwall and , as you can see from my avatar, I am a FFF (Fanned Fret Fan). Only positive things come from this design[/quote]

FRB,

Glad to see another satisfied Dingwall owner! Here's a few pics of mine,along with my StingRay:[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1605&st=0&p=16566&#entry16566"]Dingwall Afterburner 1[/url]

Dave