Why become a member? ×

Guest jonnyj

Don't hold your breath, the concensus seems to be that Yamaha are 'overcharging' for their reissues.
I played some beautiful 'super bb' reissues at bassday uk last week and got shot down when i expressed my enthusiasm as...
"£2000 is too much for a Yamaha"
"expect heavy discounts"

It's worth whatever someone looking for an original BB wants to pay, i'd offer you a grand, but some anti-yammies on here would say £50 scrap value.
Pete Hook loves the 1200's, maybe you could offer it him, and see what happens!

If you are selling, hold your price, don't get bullied off it.

speaking to the Yamaha guys at bassday, their new 'super bb's' are passive and bolt on, because their entire artist roster all wanted passive and bolt on.

I'll be honest, i've just sold all of my active basses too.

All the knobs and buttons, i spent half of my time f***ing around with settings.
I just know in my heart of hearts, passive is best, and i'm not some one finger dawdler technophobe, i can out-Marcus most if needs be, but it does seem a lot of bassists are heading back to basics.

Maybe this bass is the happy medium, neck through, passive. Winner?

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='670688' date='Dec 1 2009, 02:21 AM']I just know in my heart of hearts, passive is best, and i'm not some one finger dawdler technophobe, i can out-Marcus most if needs be, but it does seem a lot of bassists are heading back to basics.[/quote]

I agree the current fashion is for simple planks. They do sound nice.

I wonder what the next fashion will be? Whatever it is will probably sound nice.

A '79 BB1200 and NE-1, and I get a fantastic range of tones. I have to say I prefer the BB2000 model for pickup configuration over the BB3000. The reverse P-pickup combined with thru-neck build gives both the BB1200 and 2000 an individual character that sets them apart from other P-basses.

[quote name='jonnyj' post='671364' date='Dec 1 2009, 06:04 PM'][I]ve always wondered about the price. What do they usualy go for? ... [B]ecause I haven't seen many around its hard to give it an exact price range. ... If a few of the knowledgable around here give a price range then I could see if there is a trend.[/quote]

As you say the 3000 doesn't come up for sale as often as some of the other BB series basses. The iconic BB series bass is the 1200. It was the original model in the series, and first appeared in the late 70s. If I were you I'd make a direct comparison with the 1200, and use the prices that these sell for to gauge the potential resale value of your 3000. To give you an idea, I recently purchased a 1200, in a natural finish, with original moulded case, plexi scratchplate, tools and polishing cloth, for in the region of £450. Except for some minor blemishes, and one small-ish ding to the body lacquer, that 1200 is in fantastic condition. About a year ago, I picked up another 1200, dating to '82, which had some more wear, but well below average for it's age, for circa £350.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='jonnyj' post='671544' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:53 PM']Who is Pete Hook?[/quote]
Good grief! Even I know that one. Try googling 'Joy Division' or 'New Order'.

noel27 I could be wrong but I thought that the original BBs were the BB800 and BB1000 in 1978, neither of which was neck-through.

[quote name='pete.young' post='671626' date='Dec 1 2009, 09:55 PM']I could be wrong but I thought that the original BBs were the BB800 and BB1000 in 1978, neither of which was neck-through.[/quote]

The Broad Bass 1200, or BB1200, was first produced by Yamaha in 1977.

Edited by noelk27

My mid 80s BB3000S was £350, that was some years ago, but I certainly wouldn't want to pay much more than that for one now either, 400 quid if it was really nice. Worth every penny mind, superb bass in every way. My 1100S was around £275 and my 400S around £150.

[quote name='pete.young' post='671626' date='Dec 1 2009, 09:55 PM']Good grief! Even I know that one. Try googling 'Joy Division' or 'New Order'.

noel27 I could be wrong but I thought that the original BBs were the BB800 and BB1000 in 1978, neither of which was neck-through.[/quote]

The BB800,1000 and 1200 all came out in the same year.

[quote name='Rayman' post='671668' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:38 PM']My mid 80s BB3000S was £350, that was some years ago, but I certainly wouldn't want to pay much more than that for one now either, 400 quid if it was really nice. Worth every penny mind, superb bass in every way. My 1100S was around £275 and my 400S around £150.[/quote]

A BB3000s would fetch much more than £400. Next in the money stakes would be the BB2000 followed by the BB1200 and BB3000. If you ever want to sell your BB3000s let me know.