Why become a member? ×

my dyslexia

jimmypreston

random i kno but sum ppl may have noticed my poore speling it is not me bein lazy or a ^chav^ i hav dyslexia and hav had to painstackeingly teech myself 2 try to 2 spell i jst wanted to ask ppl nicely on this forum not to take the mik as many ppl do and bass playeing is my releese sorry if ppl think this is a silly post but i jst dnt want 2 b jugded on sumthin i love so much thankyou

buddy i know what its like to learn to write. I don't suffer from dyslexia (as as child they thought I did) but I used to write backwards and upside down occasionally. It is quite common for some dyslexic people but I too taught myself to write normally as teachers would say I'm lazy and gave up on me. I even had detention at school for supposedly being lazy and unwilling to work.

So I know how it feels to be bullied and judged on your writing, all I can say is mate you won't get none from me, and even though I'm quite new on the forum I know the people I have spoke to on here won't either, hopefully nobody will take the p*ss.

Well done for teaching yourself what you have though mate you are doing well. And its legible!

Hey Jimmy, welcome to the forum. We have a couple of members who have dyslexia and they've found spell-checking to be of some help. Drop me a PM if you would like me to put you in contact with them. Dyslexia shouldn't be a barrier to you enjoying Basschat. :)

Can you raed tihs? Olny srmat poelpe can, alelgdely.

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

As I always say, the three most important things to take away from your basic education are Literacy and Numeracy.

Hey Jimmy i am Dyslexic and have a lot of problems with spelling and reading etc but i also have a masters degree so barriers can be overcome. Do you use Firefox? if not you should try it the spell checker does help me. It doesn't help with my grammar or odd sentence structure and phrasing but it makes it a bit easier for others to read.

Belated Welcome to the forum.

Hi.

I just wanted to chip in here as it's something close to my heart. I'm sure people haven't meant any harm responding with jokey misspelled text. But consider how incredibly confusing a text-based medium like the internet can be for people who suffer this problem - particularly given that text-based searching is really the only means yet available for using the internet effectively. Then consider how much the internet has permeated society and how being excluded, particularly for younger people, could hamper their ability to participate fully in modern society. Dyslexia was simply not an issue in the past as it is now, because on average our lives are far more text-dominated than at any other point in history.

I don't have dyslexia and I used to be a bit of a spelling Nazi when I was younger, much to my shame. Misspelled words irritated me, slowing my reading. But being married to someone who has dyslexia, as do most others in her family, has transformed my understanding. We have had many conversations about how the letters seem to shift around on the page/screen - how when I read, I take in whole phrases in a glance but she has to decipher each word one at a time, sometimes letter by letter. My wife worked incredibly hard on her reading and writing skills and is actually doing very well as an academic (she has degrees from Cambridge, Exeter and Edinburgh). But it's important to understand that whilst (very) hard work allows people to improve these skills, dyslexia can't be completely overcome. It's lifelong so you have to cut some slack. The mental effort my wife expends when concentrating on getting it right is significant, if she's tired or trying to hurry her accuracy drops considerably. And whilst internet search functions have started to include spelling suggestions these don't always work with some of her more creative attempts at a difficult word. An issue if you're working in obscure academic subjects with their own special jargon!

I do believe correct spelling where possible is a useful thing for everyone, but I find it incredibly irritating when people have a go at others based on their spelling rather than their argument, despite the fact that they've understood the words. Or if they lord it over them based on spelling. That's just pathetic. Anyway a bit of a rambling rant and not intended to have a go at anyone, just wanted to try and help people who've not got much experience with this condition to look at it from a more informed perspective.

Cheers and apologies if this sounds a bit preachy.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='669664' date='Nov 30 2009, 12:17 AM']Hi.

I just wanted to chip in here as it's something close to my heart. I'm sure people haven't meant any harm responding with jokey misspelled text. But consider how incredibly confusing a text-based medium like the internet can be for people who suffer this problem - particularly given that text-based searching is really the only means yet available for using the internet effectively. Then consider how much the internet has permeated society and how being excluded, particularly for younger people, could hamper their ability to participate fully in modern society. Dyslexia was simply not an issue in the past as it is now, because on average our lives are far more text-dominated than at any other point in history.

I don't have dyslexia and I used to be a bit of a spelling Nazi when I was younger, much to my shame. Misspelled words irritated me, slowing my reading. But being married to someone who has dyslexia, as do most others in her family, has transformed my understanding. We have had many conversations about how the letters seem to shift around on the page/screen - how when I read, I take in whole phrases in a glance but she has to decipher each word one at a time, sometimes letter by letter. My wife worked incredibly hard on her reading and writing skills and is actually doing very well as an academic (she has degrees from Cambridge, Exeter and Edinburgh). But it's important to understand that whilst (very) hard work allows people to improve these skills, dyslexia can't be completely overcome. It's lifelong so you have to cut some slack. The mental effort my wife expends when concentrating on getting it right is significant, if she's tired or trying to hurry her accuracy drops considerably. And whilst internet search functions have started to include spelling suggestions these don't always work with some of her more creative attempts at a difficult word. An issue if you're working in obscure academic subjects with their own special jargon!

I do believe correct spelling where possible is a useful thing for everyone, but I find it incredibly irritating when people have a go at others based on their spelling rather than their argument, despite the fact that they've understood the words. Or if they lord it over them based on spelling. That's just pathetic. Anyway a bit of a rambling rant and not intended to have a go at anyone, just wanted to try and help people who've not got much experience with this condition to look at it from a more informed perspective.

Cheers and apologies if this sounds a bit preachy.[/quote]

Cheers Lawrence.

I remember going to Aston university (I think) when I was a kid to be assessed, doing all kinds of tests etc. Long time ago now so I cannot remember much but what I do remember and will never forget was being called thick by a teacher at primary school. Also my parents anguish about having a 'slow' son. Still hopefully times have moved on now and kids can get better help and more understanding from their teachers.

Thank God for spell checker! :)

[quote name='bigthumb' post='669672' date='Nov 30 2009, 12:27 AM']Cheers Lawrence.

I remember going to Aston university (I think) when I was a kid to be assessed, doing all kinds of tests etc. Long time ago now so I cannot remember much but what I do remember and will never forget was being called thick by a teacher at primary school. Also my parents anguish about having a 'slow' son. Still hopefully times have moved on now and kids can get better help and more understanding from their teachers.

Thank God for spell checker! :)[/quote]

There is some interesting research about the possible positive aspects of dyslexia - correlations with particular types of creative thinking. My wife is amazing at linking together apparently disparate concepts, I definitely wouldn't call her slow! I hope attitudes like that of your teacher, presumably born out of ignorance, are a thing of the past among the teaching profession at least.

One thing I've encountered is that people aren't always very appreciative that dyslexia, like many other things, varies in its severity. And this can colour their attitude towards an individual depending on what they've encountered before.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='664754' date='Nov 25 2009, 09:33 AM']Can you raed tihs? Olny srmat poelpe can, alelgdely.[/quote]

Taht tchnqeiue only wrkso wthi smplei wrdos. Try tknaig the cnsnntsooa nda sprtneaaig tehm form the vwloes, then spllneig lngeor wrdos wtih the smae lttrees at ecah end.
[spoiler]That technique only works with simple words. Try taking the consonants and separating them from the vowels, then spelling longer words with the same letters at each end.[/spoiler]

Lkie:

eblssthmnaiet
[spoiler]establishment[/spoiler]

uccsnnuoois
[spoiler]unconscious[/spoiler]

or eevn

mbttsroauain
[spoiler]masturbation[/spoiler]

Its not so esay tehn...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='669705' date='Nov 30 2009, 02:22 AM']Its not so esay tehn...[/quote]

Pinot teakn :)

I have some knowledge of the complexities of the issues and wanted to mention Erlin's syndrome, which I understand from knowledgable colleagues, is more common than one would expect. I understand that it can be helped by a simple coloured overlay which makes it easier to read. Different people are helped by different coloured overlays but it can help the words stop moving. As a result of this, my employers changed their default printing paper from white to cream as this is the most common 'helpful' colour for sufferers. I know many people with dyslexia and most of them have degrees - as you say, it was harder for them. But there are tools that can help.

But, as you say, assumptions of stupidity in the absence of accurate spelling are, well, stupid!

[quote name='jimmypreston' post='671530' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:37 PM']i h8 my disese![/quote]
Be cool about it, we are :)

Just stick something in your sig if you want people to know about your condition and if you encounter any issues, talk to me or a mod.

I know how you feel, I too am dyslexic when I was at school I was called lazy and made to sit closer to the blackboard. The only person who was on my side was a famer/music teacher at my school and he said I could join the brass band and after years of playing my studies improved and i learnt that even though my mind worked differently I excelled creatively where others did not. I think you should focus on that and remember Einstein was dyslexic and if it’s good enough for him...............

don't worry bout that buddy, he's deleted his posts so he must know he's in the wrong.

he had no right to "laugh" as he said at your spelling, but don't worry about it theres many people who have posted on this topic on here who support you and admire your courage to tell people.

chin up laddy !

Can I play devil's advocate for a second?

I have met people with genuine dyslexia, and I feel for them in the same way Jimmy has been complaining. I know, from friends that have dyslexia, although in exams they receive extra time to compensate, they hate the embarassment of being "singled out" in front of class etc in these situations.

However, there is another side to this coin, and that is as someone myself who has a better than average ability at spelling and grammar, I hate the fact that English appears to be heading down the "text speak" road where people who are so desperate to say something on their MSN chat or Facebook status are too lazy to punctuate properly and check their spelling. I know you will tell me this is evolution and there's nothing I can do to stop it. You''re probably right, but I'm dreading the future for our beautiful language! There are people I know and have known when challenged on their terrible spelling, punctuation and grammar that will hide behind the dyslexia banner even though they're not dyslexic at all.

These are the people that in my opinion spoil it for genuine sufferers and cause the general attitude that many are "just lazy".

I will admit Jimmy, when I read one of your posts earlier today, my first impression that it was someone who was typing in text speak and just couldn't be a**ed to type properly.

I apologise to you (even though I would have never been the type to say anything) and "kudos" to you for having the stones to challenge my, and undoubtedly others' opinions of you.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the forum!

P.S. I realise you probably don't think there was any need for this post, but the subject is something close to my heart and happy to see discussed.

P.P.S. After I said "better than average ability", just watch all the pedantic types pick holes in my own spelling, grammar and punctuation now!

huge hands i agree with you, i detest all this "yoyo bruv wasup txt me l8r talk" too, but for some people it is really difficult. in a short amount of time i've been talking to jimmy he's really poured his heart out to me, and even emailed me scans of letters from teachers, print screens of other forums.....really bullying him, saying he's lazy, calling him a "dilluded spaztic" in one of the comments and i think its fantastic that instead of him going on a murderous rampage to kill all who have really subjected him he's venting it out through his bass. He sent me a lil clip too of him playing....he's not half bad at all!

I hope he doesn't mind me saying this, I don't think he wants sympathy, but I just think he wants to be spoken to on here like other people so he had to mention it before people did just think he was a "txt tlka" or a lazy typist.

He's already had one person take the pi*s out of him on here.