Why become a member? ×

Thinking of downgrading my cabinet....

bigevilman

After excessive amounts of grief off my band mates whining about having to lift my cab about when loading the van to gig, I've decided that after Xmas, i'm going to get shot of my gorgeous 70's svt 810, and get something that will stop the band complaining, and still give me a decent sound!

I've heard a lot of decent things about aguilar, although haven't seen many rigs about. Was hoping there was going to one of the music shops at bass day selling some, but to my dismay, no :). I saw someone playing through a pair of GS112's, a solo bassist playing to a backing track, and he had a nice sound. I know the DB112s are meant to have better mids than the GS's but is that the only difference? What are the 412's like?

What kind of sound can I expect from mark bass 410's? Does any one else have any ideas for me?

Yep- the Aggie 4x12" IS PROBLY AT LEAST AS HEAVY AS THE svt810. Sorry caps lock.

If U want a '70's SVT 810 SOUND but want a smaller, lighter cab U CANNOT go past the Bergantino NV610. Absolutely a stunning cab(so's their 4x12" NV412) But it's SO easy to shift- @ 97lbs (Ampeg is about 160lbs IIRC) & a great size too. There's NO way a pair of 2 1x12"s will give U anywhere NEAR the sound U are used to. But thats OK if thats what U want. Again I'd recommend Bergantino I've a Berg. AE112- another simply stunning cab- this time Neo-dymium & LIGHT!!!!!!!! BUT again- I doubt 2 of these would satisfy U- AGAIN I could be wrong. I found a Mark Bass HR151 -1x15" Neo-Dym too & LIGHT for a 1x15"!! - which I use UNDER the Berg AE112 & this works GREAT. Both cabs have the same Sensitivity rating & while the Berg AE112 is quite 'middy' but still deep & bright, the Mark Bass 1x15 is pretty 'old school' sounding & I wouldn't class it as "bright" at all, but together they're great.
If U ARE able to adjust to the sound of 2 1x12" cabs the Aggie DB112's are good & a bit less scooped than the GS112 & therefore less 'modern' sounding. But IMO the Berg AE112's are WAY better. 2 of 'em would be great. I like 15's So I went with what I have, but U may like 2x 112''s

[quote name='bigevilman' post='663368' date='Nov 24 2009, 12:57 AM']After excessive amounts of grief off my band mates whining about having to lift my cab about when loading the van to gig, I've decided that after Xmas, i'm going to get shot of my gorgeous 70's svt 810, and get something that will stop the band complaining, and still give me a decent sound!

I've heard a lot of decent things about aguilar, although haven't seen many rigs about. Was hoping there was going to one of the music shops at bass day selling some, but to my dismay, no :). I saw someone playing through a pair of GS112's, a solo bassist playing to a backing track, and he had a nice sound. I know the DB112s are meant to have better mids than the GS's but is that the only difference? What are the 412's like?

What kind of sound can I expect from mark bass 410's? Does any one else have any ideas for me?[/quote]

You want light but loud, go talk to alex at barefaced, all of his cabs are light, or go bergantino cos they are awesome!!

also what sort of stuff you playing?

I'm not too fuss about reaching the same volume levels, as most gig's my amp doesn't get past half way. Also, we've just upgraded to a 3-speaker-a-side Fein PA, with a couple of QSC poweramps, so i'll be DI'ing out of my sansamp through the PA.

I just want something that will be loud enough to be a decent monitor, but have some great tone for smaller gigs if i decide not to DI. I still think a 610 will be too big, probs biggest size would a 410.

[quote name='bigevilman' post='663599' date='Nov 24 2009, 11:48 AM']I'm not too fuss about reaching the same volume levels, as most gig's my amp doesn't get past half way. Also, we've just upgraded to a 3-speaker-a-side Fein PA, with a couple of QSC poweramps, so i'll be DI'ing out of my sansamp through the PA.

I just want something that will be loud enough to be a decent monitor, but have some great tone for smaller gigs if i decide not to DI. I still think a 610 will be too big, probs biggest size would a 410.[/quote]

how much is your budget?