Why become a member? ×

Obscenities in South Humberside shock!

OutToPlayJazz

Okay, so my brother Nick [doctor_of_the_bass] and I had a mini bass bash and a meal up here this evening. Here are the results. Nick brought up seven basses, one of which I have on long term loan & we literally played and discussed the merits of every single one of our basses on site. So without further ado, here's the obscenity in person...

Full L to R listing... Enfield, Status S2000, Stingray 2eq, Pangborn Warrior(?), Vigier Arpege, MusicMan Stingray 5, Vigier Arpege fretless, Status Streamline, Status S2 BO 5, Am.Std Jazz, CIJ 75 Jazz, Status S2 5 (Miss.Myrtle), Status S2 walnut, MusicMan Stingray piezo.

Highlights - Nick's amazing fretless Vigier Arpege with the brass fingerboard. Best fretless bass I've ever played or heard! Oh, and the hyper technical Enfield bass. I think this is truly the original multi-purpose bass. There's nothing this instrument can't do!

[quote name='BassBus' post='663328' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:30 PM']Oh Rich, how could you show such obcene pictures. I think the moderators should pull you up on that one. :lol:

But seriously, I am green with envy. Is there a bass on the market that Nick does not own. Just some beauties there. Lucky guys. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I don't think so, Graham! Don't forget, that's only a small selection from the 68! :)

[quote name='Bassman101' post='663395' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:02 AM']Wow, thats gotta be interesting, brothers who play bass, hmm, must make for some pretty intersting conversations (for you, not for your family..)

Nice Basses!

Dazzz[/quote]

Well in fact we are not brothers in the biblical sense but we are very similar (both full time players and bass nuts!!! Thanks for a great evening Rich - was really great to see you again and have a good play on your lovely basses! Got home safely. That meal was hot!

Rich's Statii collection is fantastic - they are all full of rich tonal variation and character. The walnut 4 string S2 is my favourite (tons of power) but the S2 bolt on is perhaps the best five string I know of - its full of fruity goodness - and the Streamline - cool as ice! The white LEDS really set it off and the fact that the front and side ones are switchable means a practical use on gigs where you dont want to blind the crowd! The StingRay with the piezo is another beaut - smooth and silky when required and then into growling like a rottweiler and the Jazzes are great! (she will be mine soon!).

See ya soon!

Nick

[quote name='Marcus' post='663588' date='Nov 24 2009, 11:33 AM']Tell us all about the Enfield then !![/quote]

Where do I start with the Enfield? The sound is immense and as adaptable as anything could be. Each half of the "super 8" pickup can be run as single coil, split coil, or humbucker. There's a parametric sweep on the mids & the only thing I can't personally get along with is the "V" shaped neck. It's made of two separate pieces of wood, so you can feel a definite ridge in the middle. Certainly makes you keep your thumb in the right place, though! Build quality is excellent as well. I'll withhold a verdict until I've heard it on some decent strings, though. Nick will be able to tell you more about it...