Why become a member? ×

Epi Thunderbird views?

0175westwood29

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, After moving the strap button to the neck does the bass now want to tilt forward? Example, the top starts leaning further out from your body than the bottom?

Don't Gibson's already have the strap button on the back of the neck? Don't they also have neck dive?

Been considering this bass somewhat, but I want neither forward tilt or neck dive.

How about some more picks of you wearing the guitar with no hands holding it, side and front. If it's not too much bother?

Cheers

[quote name='Damn-Deal-Done' post='709166' date='Jan 11 2010, 06:47 PM']Hi, After moving the strap button to the neck does the bass now want to tilt forward? Example, the top starts leaning further out from your body than the bottom?

Don't Gibson's already have the strap button on the back of the neck? Don't they also have neck dive?

Been considering this bass somewhat, but I want neither forward tilt or neck dive.

How about some more picks of you wearing the guitar with no hands holding it, side and front. If it's not too much bother?

Cheers[/quote]

kk ill try and get some.

the neck dive is gone, and it tilts a little but not alot! i have my basses low so its really playable now! i would def get one if your thinking bout it! ill get on those pics later 2nite.

andy

I've got a pupil who has one of the sub £200 ones and it's a great bass for the money. Lovely gloss neck, grunty sound and great playability. More recently I played the pro in the natural and while it's a great sounding and highly spec'd bass for the money, I didn't like the rough-arse unfinished neck at all. I'd still go for the cheaper one. Lovely instruments. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='709223' date='Jan 11 2010, 07:29 PM']I've got a pupil who has one of the sub £200 ones and it's a great bass for the money. Lovely gloss neck, grunty sound and great playability. More recently I played the pro in the natural and while it's a great sounding and highly spec'd bass for the money, I didn't like the rough-arse unfinished neck at all. I'd still go for the cheaper one. Lovely instruments. :)[/quote]

my necks not rough or unfinished?

andy

here are some pics

here's the bass just on the strap as you can see no dive ( really sorry bout the hands! )

here's a side pic, the bass does tilt forward slightly but only a little!

and as you can see in this pic while playing your my right hand corrects the tilt, im not pushing on the body or holding it, just when my hand is resting there it brings the body of the bass into mine.

andy

oh and really sorry about the gut!

Edited by 0175westwood29

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='709396' date='Jan 11 2010, 10:21 PM']nope its not so your probs right! my bad

andy[/quote]

Ah, I see now - Yes, yours is the black one, isn't it? The painted or stained models seem to get the gloss neck treatment, but the natural is horribly unfinished and rough to the touch.

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='710004' date='Jan 12 2010, 02:05 PM']Ah, I see now - Yes, yours is the black one, isn't it? The painted or stained models seem to get the gloss neck treatment, but the natural is horribly unfinished and rough to the touch.

Rich.[/quote]

indeed it is so maybe just the naturals that arent great?

andy

I bought an Arctic White Epi Tbird on eBay last week. It looks gorgeous, the finish is good and it's well put together. Soundwise it's quite flexible - if you roll off the bridge pickup a little and back off the treble, it's very warm and smooth, whereas with the neck pickup rolled off it's more edgy and clanky. I also had my Fender Precision at practice last night and they're very different, the Fender creates its own space in the band, whereas the TBird kind of flows around and underneath. I found myself digging in a bit more.

The nearest I had to the original was a Gibson IV, which is all mahogany, set neck and TB Plus pickups. It's reckoned to be a TBird on Prozac. I think what killed it for me was the mahogany, it just makes everything too blurry. I prefer the Alder/Maple combo on the Epi.

Seems to be a good time to buy the older models, I suppose due to the deals available on the Pros. I'm sure my bid wouldn't have won a few months ago.

Aaaaaggggghhhh!! Gas has struck again!! The shape!!! Neck through!!! Active!!!The pictures!!! Too cool looking!!!

Just ordered a black T bird from Thomann. How is the service from them?

I tried to order one from GAK as they said that they would match any European price but even though their website said that the black one was in stock, guess what? They sold them today and don`t know when they will be back in. Mmmm. I`ve never dealt with GAK before but does this sound familiar?

Anyway, got it for £300 delivered. This will be my 3rd Tbird and I got rid of the other 2 because I couldn`t get used to the playing position but this time I`m gonna move the strap button and buy a long strap and play it down at my knees Pete Way style.

Jez :)

• 3 weeks later...

Would a little fine grit sandpaper and some carefully applied pure tung oil not sort out the 'rough neck'? Might be a little extra work but probably worth it for such a killer looking bass?

I only ask as I'm seriously considering one in natural for the very reason I can refin the neck to my liking (tung oil or another alternative natural finish)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='710004' date='Jan 12 2010, 02:05 PM']Ah, I see now - Yes, yours is the black one, isn't it? The painted or stained models seem to get the gloss neck treatment, but the natural is horribly unfinished and rough to the touch.

Rich.[/quote]