Why become a member? ×

Light, loud cabs

Wil

I'm considering getting a cab soon, but ideally I want something that will hold its own by itself, without being too massive or heavy. I'm intrigued by 2 way cabs like the SWR Triad (too heavy though) and the multi speaker offerings from Schroeder - what else is out there though? Something like a 15" speaker and a 12"/two 8" speakers in one box, that sort of crazy thing. Do cabs like this truely offer the best of both worlds, fat bottom and punch?

Edited by Wil

I'm sceptical of the compact to be honest. I'm sure it's loud, but I'm not sure it would be full sounding enough for me. My ideal cab, in a world where I dont have hardly any storage space, noodly arms and a small car would be something like a 6x10, so to get that sound in a small, light package might take a miracle!

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='662846' date='Nov 23 2009, 04:24 PM']...I'm sceptical of the compact to be honest. I'm sure it's loud, but I'm not sure it would be full sounding enough for me. My ideal cab, in a world where I dont have hardly any storage space, noodly arms and a small car would be something like a 6x10, so to get that sound in a small, light package might take a miracle!....[/quote]
How can a 15 in a correctly designed cab not sound full? You want to knock down walls? Save up and get 2! Wherever Sadly Broke is you should get on the Compact tour and do yourself a favour and see that miracle!!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Wil' post='662911' date='Nov 23 2009, 05:09 PM']Well, I'm a realist :) I've only got 300 watts to play with, so I dont think the compact will cut it. I'm looking forward to hearing Shockwave's vintage soon, mind (too big for me, though!)[/quote]

You totally missed the Compact hitting the House of Bass. It does a surprising amount, Joe was bouncing my floor about with a 100w valve amp. Was running it really dirty though. Easily outdid the Marshall 2x15 by a very large margin.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='663318' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:17 PM']You totally missed the Compact hitting the House of Bass. It does a surprising amount, Joe was bouncing my floor about with a 100w valve amp. Was running it really dirty though. Easily outdid the Marshall 2x15 by a very large margin.[/quote]

Doesn't it need a lot of power to get big bottom from it though? Not that 300 watts isn't a lot, but you know what I mean.

onehappybunny, I was perving on that cab earlier. I've just splashed out on my Tech 21 head though so I might not have the funds for a cab until the new year, but it might be in the running! I fancy looking at all the bases first though, so to speak.

Edited by Wil

I've been scouting around, and actually having looked at the Barefaced site (GAS inducing) the double midget sounds like it might be worth saving up for. Alexclaber, do you have any pics of completed double midgets, and do you think one would equal a 4x10 with 300 watts pushing it?

I would recommend getting a Compact and then saving up for another one in due course.
They are pretty sensitive speakers in there and a 300W amp will be fine.

I run 2 x Compacts with a MarkBass SA450 and the stack is plenty loud enough, with volume to spare, for a LOUD rock band so am speaking from experience here.

Good luck on your quest!

Jon.

I have just used the compact for the last 10 or so gigs in the pretty loud rock band I play in

I used it with my budget Behringer amp and it ever went over half way and it had tons of bottom end

You will have no problems with it all on performance and portability

Can't really see me ever wanting a "big loud stack" again as a good lightweight portable unit matched up ( when required ) to the PA is plenty for me

Tony