Why become a member? ×

Stunning set-neck guitar - Washburn / Hamer hybrid or prototype?

Pictures first:

[attachment=36808:front1.jpg] [attachment=36809:fullfront.jpg] [attachment=36810:heads.jpg]
[attachment=36812:close1.jpg] [attachment=36813:back.jpg] [attachment=36814:close2.jpg]
[attachment=36811:front2.jpg]

As you can see - set neck, twin 'buckers, mahogany neck/body with 2-piece flamed/curly maple top, gold hardware & outrageously lovely blueburst / transparent blue lacquer. This is a really nicely-made guitar with good-quality unbranded hardware & pickups, 3-piece mahog body, long-tenon set neck.

But what the hell is it? I've scoured the Interwebs & various guitar catalogues and I've not found it anywhere - at least, not all in the one place... It's a no-namer, but it has design features which appear to be "borrowed" from other brands: the body shape & hardware/control layout appears to be identical to the Hamer Sunburst range, while the headstock design is the same as that on most 3-a-side Washburns. Headstock designs are usually copyright so it's possible it's some sort of design prototype.

It's Korean made - the truss rod cover is the same shape as those used by Cort on many of their own designs, and Washburn & Hamer have both been built by Cort. Doesn't give it a name, though. I bought this off a gutarist I know and he had no idea what it was either.

It's in excellent condition - there's barely a mark on it - but it's far from new, I'd say it's around 10 - 15 years old. It was pretty filthy when I got it, and fairly well-played too, judging from the fret wear.

I've given it a full clean-up, dressed the frets & set it up, & it plays as good as it looks. The finish is excellent - apart from two tiny dents on the front & a small rounded indentation on the back, it's near-perfect. A few of the screws are a bit tarnished-looking, the gold hardware is starting to silver up a bit, and the lacquer's yellowed a little, giving the finish a faint greenish tint.

It sounds pretty damn good to these ears - classic full, humbuckery, Gibsony noises from both pickups. These measure 8k a piece & are heavily wax-potted, they overdrive nicely & don't squeal when cranked. Controls are basic, just V, T & 3-way switch, I was going to put a pair of stack pots in it and wire it LP-style. It has quite a wide, flat fretboard - very comfortable & easy to play for a hamfisted gonk such as myself. The nut has possibly been replaced - it's slightly narrower than the board, but if so it's a very good job & the string spacing at the nut is fine.

And now SOLD to a gentleman of impeccable taste. :)

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

Bumping this - I'm sorted for a fretless now, so it's offers around £175 or intertesting Jap / weird stuff!

Anyway I think this is the lineage of the guitar in pictures:

Hamer Sunburst:

Washburn 3-a-side headstock:

And that Cort truss rod cover:

Ain't exactly rocket science! :) I think these were put together on the sly & sold as no-branders, using designs that were set up & ready to go. And what's in a name?

Probably about a hundred quid, as far as this guitar's concerned... :ph34r:

J.

This thing of beauty & blueness is now on ThiefBay:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120498497609"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=120498497609[/url]

Still available to youse lot here, of course - I'm more than happy to cancel the listing if anyone's interested.

J.