Why become a member? ×

My Double Rig

joegarcia

Just beefed up my rig. I'm now running two amps, one for bass with one set of fx and another for 'guitar' (bass shifted up 2 octaves) with another set of fx.
It looks like this:

And it sounds truly terrifying.
The 'guitar' rig is a 50's Vortexion 50w PA head full of Mullards (EL34's and ECC81s) with a Frunt (never heard of them) 4x12 which I filled with Celestion Seventy/80 speakers.
The bass rig is a Sunn 1200s, Korg DTR1000 and Aguilar GS412.

The pedal board I use to control it all is here:

Although I've shifted it all around and added another Danelectro DJ13 since that was taken. The DJ13's are what I'm using to shift up and add distortion for the 'guitar' channel.
The router in the middle of the board is just a two way looper (for the bass fx) plus a third loop fed by a split from the input with a separate output that mutes when you turn it off. This is used to double my signal into the guitar fx and amp so I can bring it in when I like. It sounds surprisingly convincing and you really couldn't tell it's a pitch shifted bass.
There is more info on the signal chain of the board and stuff in the pedalboard thread if you're really interested.

No recordings with it yet but I'll post some up in the next few weeks.

Hehe. It is heavy and it does sound huge. We will thankfully have a crew of about three people on the next tour so I don't have to worry too much about it. Just a pain for local gigs. We recently went from two guitarists to one so it just fills stuff out a bit. Thankfully the guitarist loves it. I think.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='joegarcia' post='72532' date='Oct 11 2007, 12:41 AM']Just beefed up my rig. I'm now running two amps, one for bass with one set of fx and another for 'guitar' (bass shifted up 2 octaves) with another set of fx.
It looks like this:

And it sounds truly terrifying.
The 'guitar' rig is a 50's Vortexion 50w PA head full of Mullards (EL34's and ECC81s) with a Frunt (never heard of them) 4x12 which I filled with Celestion Seventy/80 speakers.
The bass rig is a Sunn 1200s, Korg DTR1000 and Aguilar GS412.

The pedal board I use to control it all is here:

Although I've shifted it all around and added another Danelectro DJ13 since that was taken. The DJ13's are what I'm using to shift up and add distortion for the 'guitar' channel.
The router in the middle of the board is just a two way looper (for the bass fx) plus a third loop fed by a split from the input with a separate output that mutes when you turn it off. This is used to double my signal into the guitar fx and amp so I can bring it in when I like. It sounds surprisingly convincing and you really couldn't tell it's a pitch shifted bass.
There is more info on the signal chain of the board and stuff in the pedalboard thread if you're really interested.

No recordings with it yet but I'll post some up in the next few weeks.[/quote]Will you get some better pics of your rig up, so I can have a good perv?
Cheers.

Yea, it's all changed again.
Got a Marshall JCM800 Bass Series now instead of the Vortexion and I'm using a second Aguilar GS412's instead of the Frunt 412.
The boards changed loads too, and about to change some more. Will get more up to date pics up soon.

This is close to how it is right now except the DOD 250 and Danelectro DJ13's are gone and there's now a Pearl phaser and Pearl flanger and the Microsynth is actually on the board.
About to replace the Giga Delay with a EHX Memory Man with Hazarai. Will add an EHX 2880 for looping too when funds permit.

[attachment=10046:rec_board_resize.jpg]

Bit of fun:

[attachment=10047:19032008513.jpg]

Now I have the JCM800 I thought about making it a triple rig, having the Sunn and GS412 for clean bass, the JCM800 and GS412 for bass fx and the Vortexion and Frunt 412 for my octave up 'guitar' channel but that may well be overkill. :)

Edited by joegarcia

Nah, not a Fender but a 'Joodee'. Japanese brand, I think from the 70's. My first bass and I still have it and love it to bits.
The concrete was stopping a precarious overhead mic stand from toppling over. The board is right in front of the drums in the studio, amps in iso booth to left.

The album with all this stuff will be out come autumn I think but there are a few tracks on the Myspace page:
[url="http://www.myspace.com/rosekemp"]http://www.myspace.com/rosekemp[/url]

Neither of those really showcase the double rig particularly well though to be honest as there are double tracked guitars too.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='joegarcia' post='227429' date='Jun 26 2008, 03:04 PM']The album with all this stuff will be out come autumn I think but there are a few tracks on the Myspace page:
[url="http://www.myspace.com/rosekemp"]http://www.myspace.com/rosekemp[/url][/quote]

Blige! That Ross Kemp never sounded like that on 'stenders ...