Why become a member? ×

Selling on consignment

dangerboy

I currently have a nice Ibanez Musician for sale, and it's not shifting on here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=65234"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=65234[/url]

I thought that rather than dealing with the eBay hassle, it might be an interesting experiment to ask a shop to sell it on consignment. I'm in London, so I have quite a big choice.

I was wondering which shops people recommend? Are some shops better for some kinds of bass? What kind of commission should I expect? I'm totally new to this, but thought that I might give it a go.

I had a good experience with Wunjo in Denmark Street with a Yamaha SG 3000. Their communication wasn't great but they got the sale quickly and got top dollar for it. Since then my brother used them to sell his junk shop bargain - a 64 Rivoli - again, got a really good price. I think they have standardised their commission to 20%. They also like slightly different stuff.

I'm a bit out of touch these days, so wouldn't like to recommend any.

Many shops are whiter than white. Others are thoroughly bad eggs. The downside of commission sales / consignment is when:

* They sell it and trouser the cash. Then spend months telling you it still hasn't shifted, as was the well-known practice of one formerly eminent Denmark Street-er. Do a walk-by every so often. Or ring 'em up from round the corner, then drop in 30 seconds later and ask to see your bass. If they've lied to you, remove the instrument immediately, producing your consignment receipt.

* They report a lower sale price than actually achieved and pocket the difference. No viable safeguards against this.

* They sell it to a mate or another dealer at the low end of your price spread. No viable safeguards against this.

* They may not haggle very hard with a potential buyer. £50 off costs them a tenner and you £40. Send a mate by to fake an approach.

That said, if you know the dealer already and trust them, or someone here can recommend some names, then it's worth a try.

Edited by skankdelvar

I sold an amp through Andy's Guitars in Denmark Street. I never got the money and Andy Preston consistently lied to me about it. I took him to Court over it, but he declared bankruptcy.

He is still working in the shop that used to be Andy's Guitar's, so perhaps best to avoid that one.