Why become a member? ×

EMG BQC in Spector Euro5LX!!!

Jacobrownoly

Hi, I own a Spector Euro5LX a great bass, but in the last few weeks I have been thinking about changing the preamp. At the minute the Euro has the Spector tonepump in it which I find nice and powerful but I feel that I don't have that much control over my tone. I have looked at installing a EMG BQC system to replace the tonepump because I read that EMG preamps go very well with EMG active pickups which I have in my Euro5LX (a pair of EMG 40DCs).

Has anyone had any experience with this set up and if so any advice would be appreciated, also if anyone could could give me the pros and cons with this idea.

P.S I play lots of styles of music (Rock and Metal mainly) and I am just looking on how to get more control over my tone.

Thanks for your time

Jack :)

I have an EMG BTS in one of my Spector NS5CRs which I will be replacing shortly. It sounded OK I guess but was a bit harsh with the EMG DC40's. Sounds better with the replacement pickups. I have the EMG pre up for sale but many of us Spector owners have installed onboard eq circuits by John East. The sweepable mids add extra versatility.

I have an EMG-BQC with a couple of EMG-HB pickups (like a 35P but in a guitar humbucker size/shape enclosure) in my Epiphone Les Paul bass. It's a very modern tone, I get what CK is saying about the harshness, I'd prefer to call it precise. The BQC gives a good range of tones, not too much warmth in there, I can get it to sound a bit like a Precision for instance, but it's a super hi-fi, SACD, DVD-A Precision, if you know what I mean. I guess that's just the EMG sound. I quite like it, FWIW.

I like the EMG sound too. I have a BQC in my Ibanez (neck-through, mahogany and maple) with EMG 40DC in the bridge and 40CS in the neck. I find that the preamp is great - really, really, really, really great - but the 40DC is harsh and I am considering swapping it for something else. I also mostly play hard rock and metal.

You've certainly come to the right place for modded Spectors :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67071&st=20"]Go here[/url] and listen to Peter's and my clips of various NS5s and Euro5s with John East U-Retros and EMGs. I have had a small revelation today as you'll see. Tomorrow I'm fitting some (Kiwi Specials) Wizard Gems to my NS5 and seeing how they sound with the U-Retro.