Why become a member? ×

Another tuning question

Skinkemann

Hey there!
I've been looking around on forums trying to find an answer on my question. I haven't found excactly what I've wanted to hear. Or I've not understood it completely :)

But alright! I'm now playing a 4 string, tuned to drop C, to match the guitar in my band. I can't say I'm happy with the sound in my 4 string, to sloppy, isn't comfortable playing it while tuned down to drop C.

So what I'm wondering is, if I try a 5-string bass, how do I tune it to get the same tuning on the B string, as I have on my E string when it's tuned to drop C.

Or how does 5-string bass players normally tune when they play with drop C guitars?

Sorry if it was a bad explanation of what I'm trying to figure. English aint my best side

Thanks for the time!

If you wanted the same tuning you would have to tune the B string UP a semitone to
a C.
Personally,if I was playing a 5 string I wouldn't bother tuning up to C as it is already on the first
fret of the B string. I've ever felt the need to change my tuning on a 5 string.

Alternatively,if you feel that you have to be tuned to an open C,you may be better off stringing
your 4 string with heavier gauge strings.

You may also have to adjust your playing style. even if you stick the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string set on your bass, you'll need to play slightly differently to ensure you have enough note definition.

So, ease off a little, turn your amp up, play nearer the bridge and tweak the EQ a little - a little less bass and a little more mid to reduce some of the boominess, etc...

My band tune DGCF as standard and also do quite a lot of songs in CGCF. I use 50-70-90-110 strings which is perfect for DGCF and acceptable for CGCF (I have a good break angle at the nut and bridge with thru-body stringing).
I prefer to do this rather than use my 5-string as some of the songs have riffs played against the open C or D string respectively.
Jon

My band tunes to C standard (C, F, Bb, Eb), I use a 4 string bass with 45-105 strings, low action/not sloppy at all (for a low tuning), and no need to recut the nut.
How?
Higher Tension strings, I'm sure other brands do them!?...perhaps, but give Malcolm at Newtone a call, tell him your tuning and preferred guage, and he'll sort you out a tension that works for you! :)

Si

p.s.
I may sticky a downtuning thread....mainly so I can stop going over the same ground lol
Is there a definitive one do people think?