Why become a member? ×

Anyone A/B'ed a Fender 62RI P-bass vs a 2009 MIA P?

Clarky

Hi, given my continuing failure to find an early 70s Precision (missed another one on eBay last night) I am looking at US Fender 62RI Precision as a real possibility.

They look slightly prettier to me than the MIA 2009 Precision due to the nitro paint and the rich, wide rosewood board, which together give it a real retro Jamerson look. However, there is a pretty big difference in price too!

So has any BC'er A/B'ed the two models and do they have any comments on the playability, weight, quality etc? In short, is the 62RI worth the extra dosh?

Thanks in advance, Clarky

I had one of the American Standard P's last year and it was a nice bass for the money, but I played Peter's (GreeneKing) US Vintage 62 RI a few weeks ago & I was blown away. Being as I don't ususally like Precisions, even I was surprised. The 62 has a delicacy to the sound that I've never heard in a P before. I don't know if it was just that particular bass being a one off, but it sounded and responded just how I'd want a Precision to sound. (I'm very picky as I'm used to massively hifi sounding basses!)

Hope that helps, mate.

Rich.

Hi Clarky,

I played GreeneKing's 62RI a few weeks before I got my P5 and I'd say it was easily the best P I've ever played and definitely a step up from MIA standards. It was a joy to play and sounded fantastic.

That said, when I got my P5 a few weeks ago, I immediately thought it's a step up from other MIAs I've owned and played and to be honest, now I'd have to AB them to see if the 62RI is any better.

No help am I :)

Clarky, be patient, your heart is set on a vintage and one will come along. You've only been looking four weeks after all, I waited almost a year for my '73 to come up on ebay. If you buy a '62RI, it'll eat into the money you've allocated to the vintage (even if you PX), and then in a couple of months time you'll be dissatisfied again and restart the quest. Yes, the '62RIs are generally a step up from the MIA standard, but, as is always the case with Fender, a good standard will blow the socks off an average or poor '62. Peter's is clearly a great example, but it's a sample of one and not sufficient information on which to bass you decision. My pink MIJ '62 was also a blinder, but still didn't have anything like the feel and history of any of the '70s I've owned, and from what you've said previously, it seems to be that feel and history you're after?

Bottom line dude, despite everything, there's little difference between a good '62 and a good MIA (apart from afew hundred quid), and you've already got a good MIA (it's worth remembering that pretty much everyone who played your old 2009 standard Jazz said it was one of the best Jazzes they've played). There's also not a great difference betwen a good MIA, a good '62RI, and a 7good 0's vintage, apart from the feel, history etc of the latter. If that's what you're after, you'll just have to be pateint :)

Good luck dude

C

Thanks OTPJ, NGH and Beedster

I hear what you say Chris but I do think I should consider all the options. My hearty's desire is for a really good early/mid 70s P bass but I don't have as much patience as you, as a year searching would drive me crazy (I already spend too much time on BC and eBay)! Plus I am nowhere near as au fait with the technicalities of basses and their parts as other BC'ers (like yourself and wateroftyne) and thus I stand a massively higher chance of being sold a "dog" vintage bass. To give an example, if someone had swapped over the wiring and pots or replaced the bridge with something very similar I simply would not have the nous to spot that this had happened.

So unless someone obviously reputable comes up with a lovely 70s bass I want to think about alternatives. There is a BC'er I have been in contact with (no names mentioned for fairness sake) whose 70s P bass would tick all my boxes but he does not want to sell.

[quote name='Clarky' post='656713' date='Nov 17 2009, 09:50 AM']Thanks OTPJ, NGH and Beedster

I hear what you say Chris but I do think I should consider all the options. My hearty's desire is for a really good early/mid 70s P bass but I don't have as much patience as you, as a year searching would drive me crazy (I already spend too much time on BC and eBay)! Plus I am nowhere near as au fait with the technicalities of basses and their parts as other BC'ers (like yourself and wateroftyne) and thus I stand a massively higher chance of being sold a "dog" vintage bass. To give an example, if someone had swapped over the wiring and pots or replaced the bridge with something very similar I simply would not have the nous to spot that this had happened.

So unless someone obviously reputable comes up with a lovely 70s bass I want to think about alternatives. There is a BC'er I have been in contact with (no names mentioned for fairness sake) whose 70s P bass would tick all my boxes but he does not want to sell.[/quote]

Firstly I've just had WoTs solicitors on the phone complaining that his name and mine have been used together in the context above. I'm no expert mate, certainly not in the league of a few guys on here, of whom WoT is probably both most likely to know the answer and most likely to be willing to engage.

BUT, and it's a big but....

You've got a great MIA Precision. Why do you think a '62 is going to make any difference? Honestly mate, they can be very good but they can be quite average. IT'S FENDER FFS! The reality is that you might be getting a bass that isn't as good as the one you've already got! Is all the expense worth it for a different headstock logo?

I can totally understand your quest for a true vintage, but given the basses you already have, I don't get the '62 thing. If you need an expert opinion, go see the bass in question, take pics and post them on here (WoT helped me out a hell of a lot about 18 months ago when I was in the same situation). There are 70's Precisions in various shops for less than £1500, try them, or see if you can buy on 7 days approval. It's a buyer's market mate, make the most of it!

Apologies for being so opinionated :)

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='656727' date='Nov 17 2009, 10:04 AM']You've got a great MIA Precision.

There are 70's Precisions in various shops for less than £1500, try them, or see if you can buy on 7 days approval. It's a buyer's market mate, make the most of it![/quote]
Thanks for your views Chris, I really do appreciate your candour and thought-provoking advice.

In all honesty I have scoured interweb but haven't found any for less than £1500, apart from late 70s P-basses (which are heavier and known for less stringent QC) so if you can point me in the direction of those shops I would be really grateful.

Also, as an aside my current MIA is a 5 stringer and I am after a 4'er

[quote name='Clarky' post='656754' date='Nov 17 2009, 10:25 AM']Thanks for your views Chris, I really do appreciate your candour and thought-provoking advice.

In all honesty I have scoured interweb but haven't found any for less than £1500, apart from late 70s P-basses (which are heavier and known for less stringent QC) so if you can point me in the direction of those shops I would be really grateful.

Also, as an aside my current MIA is a 5 stringer and I am after a 4'er[/quote]

The BEST 70's Precision I ever owned was a '79 bought from Mike on here (and I'm pretty sure he must regret selling it 'cos I do). It weighed a bit for sure, but the tone, playability (especially the maple neck which was quite stunning) and looks were oustanding. OK, the word is more dogs were made in the late 70s than the early 70s, but I have played goood and bad from both era and on that basis I wouldn't discount late 70's models. My fretless '77 is beautiful and lightweight and I would never let it go.

I'm feeling a bit like the owner of a dating agency with a problematic client who has made it their mission to find the right match and won't let that client settle for second best!

C

PS re your 5er, WTF happened to that 09 MIA Precision 4er you bought about 2 months ago!?
PPS Don't bother answering that :)

Some excellent, in-depth advice there, Chris...

As for my two-penneth-worth, I'd say that even with a 62RI or especially with a vintage instrument, go and play them first & make sure you take one of your basses with you. One that you really like the feel and sound of. That way, you'll know for definite if something you're playing really does blow your socks off.

It's really difficult when you're trying to buy a better version of a bass you already have. I've ended up selling a few Status basses, as they just didn't match up to what I had already or had owned previously. Witness the lovely cocobolo SII I sold everything surplus in order to buy. I spent a fortune at Status having the preamp restored to it's original spec & had a full overhaul done at the Status factory. And you know what? My newer walnut S2 still blew it out of the water in every respect. That's not to say it wasn't a great bass, because it definitely was, but my current S2 is just in another league altogether.

So basically, get out there and play every Precision you can. One will stand out as your ultimate P. Or perhaps that P5 you have is untouchable?

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='656773' date='Nov 17 2009, 10:46 AM']So basically, get out there and play every Precision you can. One will stand out as your ultimate P. Or perhaps that P5 you have is untouchable?[/quote]

+1000

If it's a lovely 3TSB '73 then all's well and good. If it's an '04 Mex, and it's still the best Precision you've played, there you go!

C

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='656886' date='Nov 17 2009, 12:32 PM']Aww, that's a pity Peter - Both of my 5's have 18mm string spacing. Shucks! :rolleyes:[/quote]

They are also keepers I suspect Rich. I find 17mm just wide enough :)

I suspect the P will be a keeper, once I've mastered 5 strings (perhaps that should read murdered) and am comfortable to switch it'll be a delight to return to.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='656895' date='Nov 17 2009, 12:40 PM']They are also keepers I suspect Rich. I find 17mm just wide enough :)

I suspect the P will be a keeper, once I've mastered 5 strings (perhaps that should read murdered) and am comfortable to switch it'll be a delight to return to.[/quote]

Agreed on all counts, Peter. Now, shall we stop hijacking Clarky's thread here... :rolleyes:

Oh and I think Chris is spot on. It's not just about tone. To me my RI oozes something that a standard MIA didn't. It's partly the nitro finish and the vibe of the unusual scratchplate tortiness, the headstock button and the great rosewood but if you're looking for that worn in feel then however good the tone is you'd maybe not appreciate something like it in the long term.

It's strange but as the 1st owner from new it also has something special about it, it's not 'someone else's' bass that I've aquired and it's a bit special too and I chose it because of that.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

All the best in your quest Clarky and patience is a great thing if you re-phrase it as foreplay.

[quote name='Clarky' post='656900' date='Nov 17 2009, 12:45 PM']Don't worry, I am sitting here whimpering in the corner after that good talking to from Beedster :lol:[/quote]

You know I love you dude! Just wanna see you settle down with a nice old bass so good you'll never let it go :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='656924' date='Nov 17 2009, 01:03 PM']I know what you mean - He nicked my dinner money three days on the trot last week! :lol:[/quote]

Damn, was that you, I'd have had one of your basses instead had I know :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' post='656646' date='Nov 17 2009, 08:05 AM']Hi, given my continuing failure to find an early 70s Precision (missed another one on eBay last night) I am looking at US Fender 62RI Precision as a real possibility.

So has any BC'er A/B'ed the two models and do they have any comments on the playability, weight, quality etc? In short, is the 62RI worth the extra dosh?

Thanks in advance, Clarky[/quote]

I have a 62RI and have owned numerous Precisions but none from the early 70s. Mainly late 70s or recents. The 62RI is great and that neck is certainly wide and slim. It makes my 2009 feel like a Jazz. Unfortunately I don't get the big P bass vibe from it. I think an early 70s may have the neck profile somewhere between the two which might be the sweet spot. Personally, I love the logo of the late 60s/early 70s Ps the best.

The 62RI feels like a real P bass. I find that sometimes the back of the neck can get a little sticky. I have mine set with La Bella flats with mute and it does that thing very well.