Why become a member? ×

SOLD SOLD SOLD

dangerboy

FINAL PRICE DROP BEFORE CONSIGNMENT OR EBAY- NOW SOLD

I bought this bass 3 years ago, sold it one year ago to my girlfriend, and now it's back, because she has double bass repair bills to pay, and no basschat account!

Some history - the previous owner sent me a picture of this with 'CMI' on the headstock. Unfortunately this had been scratched off by the time it got to me, so I've replaced the TRC with an 'interesting' one from a man in Italy. I'm told it's not real, and I believe this, but it looks really nice and somehow balances the bass well visually. I tried plain white and it never looked right.

Similarly, I've replaced the pickups and the saddles-section of the bridge (what do you call that?) with parts that sellers on here (pickups, a long time ago) and eBay (saddles) tell me are genuine Rick. But I can never be sure - I don't have an original to compare. The tuners are also replacements - when I got it there were mini schallers fitted, two of them upside-down! These are far-eastern generic things.

Good points:

The thru-neck
The colour (!)
The thick gloss on the fretboard
The inlays
The sound

Bad points (all by a previous owner!):

The bridge has been lowered by routing underneath, in order to make the action lower. The rout is fine, but it has left the finish messy around the bridge
The bridge pickup surround has been cut back to allow a lower action
I don't like the knobs
There's a thin crack in the scratchplate
Only one truss rod

Given the additions and the unique colour I'm looking for SOLD. I'm in london, and am happy to meet pretty much anywhere in this fair (?) city for handover.

Edited by dangerboy

Just curious (cos I can't have another Rickenfaker!) but is the finish original, or has it had transparent turquoise lacquer applied over a clear finish?

About the bridge/tailpiece. Rickenbacker & copy ones are near-identical in terms of dimensions - but the distance between the height adjuster screws on the bridge are slightly different - the copy parts are 1 or 2mm closer. I found this out when fitting a copy bridge in a Rick tailpiece - I had to drill the locating holes out a little to make them fit. I'd expect this to be the case here if it's a mix of copy & real parts.

I'm 99% sure the neck Hi-gain's a real Rick one - the raised centre strip's recent and doesn't appear on any Fakers. Show a pic of the bridge unit & I'm pretty sure I could ID that.

Best of luck - very unusual bass! :)

Jon.

Hi Jon,

I reckon the finish is a transparent blue over clear. Where it has flaked off it's revealed a glossy clear layer. No idea who did it or when.

The height adjuster screws fit fine - but they didn't when I played with this saddle-section on another faker bridge. I guess this one has more accurate dimensions?

Off to take pics of the bridge pup!

Very good macro you've got there - check out all the skin flakes! If your buyer's a mad scientist they'll be able to clone you, your girlfriend and the bass' last 15 owners, right back to 1975 from all those bits of finger... :)

And aye, that's a real Rick pup - staggered round-end poles & rounded corners on t'bobbin.

J.

Hello Dangerboy. I am very close to having a punt, so some answers if you would be so kind.
Is the truss rod working?
Are all the electrics good, pick ups working individual and together.
What is the action like at 1, 12 or 17 frets.
Whats it like to play (subjective I know)
Would you accept a cheque(I would happily wait for it to clear) as it's a long way from Wigan to London.

Sorry for the dumb questions, it's just I'm dumb.
Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' post='659847' date='Nov 20 2009, 07:55 AM']Hello Dangerboy. I am very close to having a punt, so some answers if you would be so kind.
Is the truss rod working?
Are all the electrics good, pick ups working individual and together.
What is the action like at 1, 12 or 17 frets.
Whats it like to play (subjective I know)
Would you accept a cheque(I would happily wait for it to clear) as it's a long way from Wigan to London.[/quote]

Hi. I haven't ever used the truss rod. The neck is straight, so I guess that it's working.

Electrics are good. I had a go with all the switches and knobs earlier.

I'll take some measurements of the action - I would say that it's a medium at the moment, but I've never really worked to bring it down (I just rock out, and my gf likes this bass the way it is).

To play? It's not too heavy. It sounds very Rick-like. I love it - but then I only play with a pick. Your mileage may vary!

Cheques are fine by me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dangerboy' post='673187' date='Dec 3 2009, 01:51 PM']N7. Easy for Victoria Line, Piccadilly Line or the A1/A406.[/quote]

Damn it i'd love this bass - just splashed out on a semi acoustic. I never thought i'd say this but I like the colour and I don't mind it lookin battered either.........gutted

Good luck with the sale Steve... erm hang on what am I saying!!!!! Hope ya can't sell it ..... till i got some readies

• 2 weeks later...