Why become a member? ×

Amps with built in effects

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I've been looking at some line 6 Combo's/Heads ,which have
adjustable effects . On their website . Are these any good?

I was wondering if these would do somebody,who wants to travel light,
not have to worry about losing the bottom end,and use effects sparingly for a couple of
songs in their live set.

Looks like they wouldn't be fiddly like effects units,and saves all the faffing around.

Or is the quality ,not very good?

What do you think people?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='656428' date='Nov 16 2009, 09:18 PM']....I've been looking at some line 6 Combo's/Heads ,which have
adjustable effects....[/quote]
I'm not very keen on combos but as far as effects are concerned I would use separate pedals. These are more flexible and you can chop and change without having to sell the amp.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='656428' date='Nov 16 2009, 10:18 PM']I've been looking at some line 6 Combo's/Heads ,which have
adjustable effects . On their website . Are these any good?

I was wondering if these would do somebody,who wants to travel light,
not have to worry about losing the bottom end,and use effects sparingly for a couple of
songs in their live set.

Looks like they wouldn't be fiddly like effects units,and saves all the faffing around.

Or is the quality ,not very good?

What do you think people?[/quote]

I've used Line 6 combos a couple of times in studios... I didn't like the amp simulations (including overdrive) but I thought the filter, octave and chorus were excellent...

I wouldn't go for this kind of thing though... What would you use to rehearse in a studio, or when you're gigging and the venue/another bassist supplies the bass amp? You'd have to get a multifx or pedals for that anyway...

If effects are of that little importance to you and you want to travel light, you'd do better to get a really good amp or combo and buy a Zoom or a Floor POD...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Thanks Chaps :) I'll stick tomy Aguilar after all . I'd be mad to sell it . I wouldn't let anybody else
use it. You can probaly see from my sig, that I have enough to be getting on with :rolleyes:
I was contemplating , selling 1 or 2 effects ,but after your input I think I'll keep'em for now.

Cheers

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='657793' date='Nov 18 2009, 08:03 AM']Same here - the overdrive isn't very useable, the synth is fun but doesn't track fast enough, the octave is okay, the chorus , filter and compressor are great![/quote]

+1. The Built in compressor is actually better than a lot of pedals I've tried.