Why become a member? ×

Yamaha RBX A2 in white/grey w. led-knobs. SOLD !!

eubassix

I'll probably give this a spin on ebay, but thought I'd mention here first ... just in case anybody's looking for a decent/cheaper .. and more unusual bass (... and a lot lighter).....
Bought it out of curiosity (with the new AIR build concept) and project as it had a couple of minor issues and bits missing. Now fully sorted/complete and plays well. Tried it with Flats for a while and found that beneficial (in providing more bottom). The lights are working and do show the level of Volume per pickup. The black, plastic cover at the f/board end was missing - so I've made a simple wooden veneer cover.
I'll add the Yamaha bumf/specs and some photos. Prices seem to vary a lot online - I'm asking lesss, so might appeal as it's better than many in that price-range, and is very light and just different. Plus a basic gig-bag. I'll probably split it to send (just strings & 4 neck-bolts removed) for safety.
Yamaha state: [i] RBX4 A2. The Secret of A.I.R. TechnologyAlternative Internal Resonance (or A.I.R.) technology utilises a lightweight wood core sandwiched between a harder, heavier wood on both the front and back of the guitar's body. Special sound tubes pass through the body so that string vibrations normally resonating only the guitar's top are transmitted through the entire body. By exciting the entire body structure and shaping the tone with the hard top and back, A.I.R. construction creates a full, powerful, and resonant tone with distinctive presence and body that are truly unique.
- Construction: Bolt on - Scale Length: 34’’ (864mm) - Fingerboard: Rosewood / 24 frets - Radius: 10’’ (250mm) - Body: A.I.R. Body - Neck: Maple - Tuners: Diecast - Bridge: A.I.R. Mounting, System Bridge - Pickups: Single Coil x 2
- Controls: Front Volume, Rear Volume, Master Tone - PU’s Colours : Front = Green, Rear = Blue; the brightness of the indicator gains in conjunction with volume. This regular scale model weighs just 3.2 kg and offers superior balance in addition to its ultra light weight. Fusing seamlessly with the player it offers unprecedented playing comfort that stuns bassists who regularly play a standard bass. Light weight, superior comfort, and easy playing action let you concentrate on your playing for extended periods of time. Physically it is light in weight, sonically it is anything but. A.I.R. technology and newly developed pickups deliver a thick, robust tone that is clear, powerful, and blends well with a wide range of musical styles....[/i]
£ SOLD !!!!

Edited by eubassix

I'm looking for a light weight bass to replace an old heavy jazz bass for reggae gigs since my back is bad and I'm still too young to sit down.
It needs to sound very deep, smooth and punchy, I only use the neck pup with the tone rolled off and no mid or treble on the amp.
I also use heavy flatwounds for an old skool dub sound.
Do you consider this bass suitable ?

PS
You can get an idea of my sound by visiting my reggae band's myspace page [url="http://myspace.com/redstriper"]here[/url].

[quote name='redstriper' post='657157' date='Nov 17 2009, 04:20 PM']I'm looking for a light weight bass to replace an old heavy jazz bass for reggae gigs since my back is bad and I'm still too young to sit down.
It needs to sound very deep, smooth and punchy, I only use the neck pup with the tone rolled off and no mid or treble on the amp.
I also use heavy flatwounds for an old skool dub sound.
Do you consider this bass suitable ?

PS
You can get an idea of my sound by visiting my reggae band's myspace page [url="http://myspace.com/redstriper"]here[/url].[/quote]

With the bass set-up as you describe it should be fine. You might need to adust the nut-slots and truss-rod for those heavy (50-110's?.. it's currently on 40-100's) FW's. I did use FW's on it for a while and the sound was much deeper/heavier - they were still lights though (40-100's)
Hope this helps!

[quote name='redstriper' post='659493' date='Nov 19 2009, 06:20 PM']No worries.[/quote]

Keep a check on ebay (and elsewhere) - there was one listed a while back for a £230'ish BIN - OR Best Offer; so you might be able to source one for about the same ££.