Why become a member? ×

Am i the last one on the Warwick take up!

Raslee

Never really got into the Warwick's thang, thick uncomfortable necks, nasal woody sound with no bottom, and well... i thought they were a bit overrated generally......

And soooo, i did a trade recently and ended up with a 96 Warwick Corvette, admittedly it has had good upgrades to EMG's and EMG pre amp, and wow this thing really rocks................well actually it funks for me to be honest! I haven't stopped funking on it, my terrible slap almost sounds audible, ...its weird because i don't really want to like it that much, i don't want to become attached because its kinda bass number 2/3 and having also recently sold my main Jazz bass to fund a 79 MM ray i feel guilty.
I keep picking up this Warwick though, it has something paranormal going on about it, i get drawn to it,...it has a slimmer neck than i remember of Warwicks i tried many moons ago, it has a nice ass (bottom) too, and well i even like the ergonomics and general looks....does it do DUB?

Its only a matter of time and i'll be singing the praises of those spiky BC Rich bitches :) I think i am becoming less judgemental but more mental every day, must be my day job i guess :rolleyes:

Anyway thought I'd bizarrely share this as losttheplot.com didn't yield any help for to me see sense in what i'm thinking.

Edited by Rasta

I had exactly the same experience recently with a used passive corvette standard in my local shop.
I'd never tried one for the same preconceptions you describe, so I wasn't expecting much when I had a go on it.
But I loved it - couldn't put it down and even thought of buying it except it's £50 more than a new one!
Great deep, fat sound and a joy to play - like a jazz but clearer and more direct.
Fit some fat flats and it's the perfect dub bass.

On the subject of blowing stereotypes - my main fretless is now a tanglewood rebel that I got from ebay for £23 delivered.
It sounds amazing strung with TI flats (which cost more than the bass) and is lovely to play after a good set up.

Moral - you can't judge a book by the cover.

Like all brands, the necks are of various thicknesseseses :) The Corvettes are usually the nice jazz-esque profiles & the Streamers are the thick precision-style necks usually, but there are of course some exceptions in both cases.

Best Warwicks for me have been the original Corvette $$ I had (That was a stonking all round bass, great to play hard and fast and a huge sound) and the Thumb bolt on Dirty Blonde. That was a truly great sounding bass which I almost traded a KingBass 5-string for at the time.

[quote name='Rasta' post='655387' date='Nov 15 2009, 08:11 PM']Never really got into the Warwick's thang, thick uncomfortable necks, nasal woody sound with no bottom, and well... i thought they were a bit overrated generally......

And soooo, i did a trade recently and ended up with a 96 Warwick Corvette, admittedly it has had good upgrades to EMG's and EMG pre amp, and wow this thing really rocks................well actually it funks for me to be honest! I haven't stopped funking on it, my terrible slap almost sounds audible, ...its weird because i don't really want to like it that much, i don't want to become attached because its kinda bass number 2/3 and having also recently sold my main Jazz bass to fund a 79 MM ray i feel guilty.
I keep picking up this Warwick though, it has something paranormal going on about it, i get drawn to it,...it has a slimmer neck than i remember of Warwicks i tried many moons ago, it has a nice ass (bottom) too, and well i even like the ergonomics and general looks....does it do DUB?

Its only a matter of time and i'll be singing the praises of those spiky BC Rich bitches :) I think i am becoming less judgemental but more mental every day, must be my day job i guess :rolleyes:

Anyway thought I'd bizarrely share this as losttheplot.com didn't yield any help for to me see sense in what i'm thinking.[/quote]

Welcome to the Warwick world!

Wait til you try a Streamer Stage 1/2!!

[quote name='Paul_C' post='655532' date='Nov 15 2009, 10:46 PM']you're not the last - I've still not found a Warwick I liked :)[/quote]
Same here.
I just can't get past the (to me) extreme ugliness of their body shapes. The only one they make I think has a nice shape is the Streamer, and they nicked that off Spector.