Why become a member? ×

Advice on choosing an amp

Rockbassix

Sorry i know this probably gets asked continually but i'm confused with all the options and need some help! :)

This is my first band i've done a few jam sessions but never actually played in a band before so all i have is a 65 watt practice amp :rolleyes:

My budget is probably going to be around 250-300 depending on how much i get for the stuff i'm selling
to fund the amp purchase.I'm obviously looking for 2nd hand as i'm not going to get very far buying new
for that price.

Should i go for a combo or buy seperate amp and cab.

How many watts do i need i've been told not to buy less than a 300w but not sure if this is right or wrong most of the gigs we'll be doing are rock pubs/clubs.

Any suggestions on which amps i should consider?

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='654179' date='Nov 14 2009, 12:51 AM']Thanks LOL i'm a girl and currently got a wrecked shoulder so probably couldn't lift it but there's 4 guys in the band so i'm not too worried about the weight! :)

Will have a look at it!
How heavy is the Firebass?[/quote]

Very heavy. Heavier than some valve amps. Just about anythign else would be lighter.

you should be able to get a fairly decent combo for £300.make sure its 300 watt at least as they mostly only put out their full power with a extension cab connected.i had a trace elliot 300w combo and it was more than loud enough in pubs and clubs.Also ashdowns mag range of combo's will be within your budget although they are a bit heavy.

If you have the luxury of a bit of time to choose, going modular with amp and cab is easier on the carrying and the modifying. Ashdown heads are cheap and there are plenty about, and you could probably do better on a cab, as the lower level Ashdowns aren't spectacular. A peavey 4x10 is heavy but sounds great.

What sort of music are you playing? With a 5-piece there can be a lot of competition for (musical) space and you may need something to cut through the mix.

In your position a while ago I opted for a 300w Ashdown amp and 115 bass cab (which in the shop handled the 5-string so much better than the 210). Nice tone, very pleased with my choice, until I started listening to recordings of practices and a couple of gigs. Competing with 2 guitars, keyboard and drums doing pop/rock covers my nice tone just wasn't coming through. I've ended up changing the cab and making a big difference.

If you can get to one of the Bass bashes happening over the next few weeks you may get the chance to try some kit and talk to a few owners before having to shell out the cash. If pennies will stretch, having separate bass and cab gives you flexibility for upgrades as well as splitting the weight!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='654490' date='Nov 14 2009, 02:21 PM']If you have the luxury of a bit of time to choose, going modular with amp and cab is easier on the carrying and the modifying. Ashdown heads are cheap and there are plenty about, and you could probably do better on a cab, as the lower level Ashdowns aren't spectacular. A peavey 4x10 is heavy but sounds great.[/quote]

I do have a little bit of time to choose as we're only rehearsing at the moment so it's going to be a few weeks before we are sorted enough to look for gigs.Also going to take me a couple of weeks to get the cash in from the stuff i'm selling to pay for it!

It looks like amp and cab are the way to go most of the people i've spoken to are saying i'm best with an amp and cab rather than the combo!

Cheers Apex the band is 5 of us although the singer is just doing vocals the rest is 2 guitars me on bass and a drummer who only knows one level LOUD lol. We're mainly doing rock covers for the moment.

The bass bash would probably be a good idea if there's one close enough to me! Is there any coming up in Scotland?

Cheers Mr Foxen i wish i was closer to it unfortunately i'm stuck in Scotland so collection would be a nightmare.

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='654577' date='Nov 14 2009, 03:45 PM']Cheers Apex the band is 5 of us although the singer is just doing vocals the rest is 2 guitars me on bass and a drummer who only knows one level LOUD lol. We're mainly doing rock covers for the moment.

The bass bash would probably be a good idea if there's one close enough to me! Is there any coming up in Scotland?

Cheers Mr Foxen i wish i was closer to it unfortunately i'm stuck in Scotland so collection would be a nightmare.[/quote]

Scotland's quite a big place I know but there's one in Gateshead 29th Nov - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=63245"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=63245[/url]

Buy your drummer some plastic sticks for Christmas!! :)

Mmm The Gateshead bash could be a possibilty if i'm not working!

I'm liking the plastic sticks idea lol i reckon a plastic drum kit to go with it would be good as well!
I'm still learning to dodge the sticks he breaks! I'm thinking of being the only bassist who stands behind the drummer when we start gigging :)

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='655326' date='Nov 15 2009, 06:13 PM']Cheers Stag! We're going to a few gigs in the next couple of weeks at places we're likely to get gigs at so
i'm going to have a good look/listen at what the other bands are using and speak to a few of them about their gear.

Also might try to get to the bass bash in Gateshead.[/quote]

I'd get a Hartke LH500 and Barefaced Compact, I power to weight to value is what you want
LH500 - cheap and really really loud
Compact - seriously light and great sound

I would say the Trace Elliot Series 6 715 Combo is what i'd be looking for. Its got such a nice sound, full of TE character, which is a subjective liking, but it can do very loud too, easily keeps up with a couple of guitarists down the rehearsel room and will do gigs with PA support no trouble. Should get one well within that budget too.

Cheers Plux strangely enough i just missed out on a Hartke LH500 the other day as usual i took too long trying to decide then found out it was gone doh!!

Cheers Geoff i've been looking at a lot of Peavey stuff mainly for the price and the fact they are bombproof! As for getting our drummer to quieten down i've got no hope his volume switch is set to loud so yep an extension cab is probably my only hope!

Cheers Butler i'll have a look at the Trace combo as well.

Trying to find stuff near here is proving a nightmare Gumtree has been bassless lately unless you want a 20 watt practice amp and Ebay isn't much better!
I'm hoping if i go down the seperates route we can grab a head off here or Ebay then try to pick up the cab locally.

A sansamp and a cheap PA amp, then dump the rest into a cab might make you and awesome rig at a crazy cheap price. Sansamp will do a generic 'good tone', PA to bring it up to level, and the cab is generally gonna be the weakest link, so is the best thing to invest in. Having put together a totally aweosome 1100w valve preamped beast in a rack for under £250, I think this is a very good way to go. Thinking about it, the 8x10 I could run it into cost me £200, so for under £500 (about that exactly including cables) I have a totally awesomely loud rig there. Overkill for almost anyone.

Edit, added a 1000w to power of amp.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

I'm rolling with a Marshall MB4210 currently. The list price is £330 new but I talked the guy down to £300, second hand would be cheaper.
It's good and loud, very versatile with the sounds too. My old Ibanez I used both channels on blend for some valve plus transistor for clarity, with my Status I just run the valve channel. The option is there if you need it.
It's 300W into the inbuilt 2 x 10" speakers, but hang another 4 ohm cab off the bottom and it's 450W. I've yet to need a second cab though.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='664073' date='Nov 24 2009, 05:47 PM']A sansamp and a cheap PA amp, then dump the rest into a cab might make you and awesome rig at a crazy cheap price. Sansamp will do a generic 'good tone', PA to bring it up to level, and the cab is generally gonna be the weakest link, so is the best thing to invest in. Having put together a totally aweosome 100w valve preamped beast in a rack for under £250, I think this is a very good way to go. Thinking about it, the 8x10 I could run it into cost me £200, so for under £500 (about that exactly including cables) I have a totally awesomely loud rig there. Overkill for almost anyone.[/quote]

Lol would never have thought of doing that but it's a cool idea! Especially since i have a Yamaha PA amp lying around here doing nothing at the moment!

Cheers Nickh I'll have a look at the Marshalls as well i've been using a Marshall MB65 for practicing at the moment and for a practice amp it's been pretty good.