Why become a member? ×

One of the most iconic basses of all time

Bass_In_Yer_Face

I know this isn't really a good discussion but, interesting how the neck broke but not the neck joint. For some (I'm sure very poor) reason we looked at bass smashing on Youtube and its amazing how much grief the neck joint takes before it gives, if ever. On one the body pieces separated first.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='658962' date='Nov 19 2009, 10:11 AM']I know this isn't really a good discussion but, interesting how the neck broke but not the neck joint. For some (I'm sure very poor) reason we looked at bass smashing on Youtube and its amazing how much grief the neck joint takes before it gives, if ever. On one the body pieces separated first.[/quote]

He hit side on so all of the mass around the joint would have protected it making the centre of the neck the weak point.

I would love to repair that and play it.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='658962' date='Nov 19 2009, 10:11 AM']I know this isn't really a good discussion but, interesting how the neck broke but not the neck joint. For some (I'm sure very poor) reason we looked at bass smashing on Youtube and its amazing how much grief the neck joint takes before it gives, if ever. On one the body pieces separated first.[/quote]

I'm guessing it works like a hammer/axe. The handle is used to accelerate the head and to guide it to the right position, but the vast bulk of the energy is in the head and on impact the handle actually takes very little of the shock.

This might explain why the body breaks before the neck, but not why the neck breaks in the middle rather than at the joint. 30 years ago I might have done the physics to prove why, but not anymore. However, if you think about it, if you have a long stick that you want to break in half (eg firewood), and you put the end on two fixed points and stamp on it, experience tells us that its most likely to break in the middle. (Not an exact analogy I know).

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='651573' date='Nov 11 2009, 01:11 PM']Never knew this existed. Paul Simonon's bass a few seconds after the cover of London Calling at the Rock N' Roll hall of fame in Chicago.[/quote]

What a great link - if I'm ever in Chicago, this will have to be on the list of places to visit!