Why become a member? ×

Good 15" cabs

funks-e

[quote name='chris_b' post='651443' date='Nov 11 2009, 11:26 AM']Try something with an EV speaker in it or, better still, check out a Barefaced Compact.[/quote]

+1

If you get a Compact you'll never use the internal speaker on your combo again though, so be prepared!

AS I said i another thread- those BAREFACED cabs look great!! Pity they dont make 'em here so I could try one :-( s'funny how Bergantino cabs aint that expensive here in OZ-thanx to George at Bass Gear Direct.com - compared to some other brands- they're very competetive out here. Tis ALSO a pity thet Berg. don't do a single 15" ( even the NV215's been discontinued)

But, At the time I WAS gonna grab another Berg AE112- To go with the AE112 I already had, the AUS $$$ dropped radically & the price of new AE112's went up a fair bit, putting one just outta my reach, & after a fair bit of research & LUCK- I found a Mark Bass STD 151HR for sale at a great price.
I LOVE 15"s & even tho many experts reccomended against mixing driver sizes, I tried to find a single 15" that matched up pretty well in sensitivity & other specs- to my AE112, & the MB STD151HR did all that pretty darn well. Prevoiusly I had a Aggie GS112, & this cab- while a lovely cab- didn't match up well with the Berg AE112, I found that the more sensitive Berg cab was putting out WAY more volume than the GS112 was. So I WAS planning on grabbing another AE112- for a 2 x AE112 stack. But as I said above.... couldn't & I love 15"s anyway.
So the MB STD151HR matched up(on paper anyway) to the AE112 prety well. I was VERY happy(& relieved) when I discovered they matched up extremely well together in actual use too!!! IMO/IME etc.... they sound SUPERB together. The AE112 has the simply superb clarity & punch & tone- & the 151HR has the big roundnes of a good 15".
I often use the MB151HR by itself(AS I oftern use the AE112 by ITSELF too) & find the MB 151HR to be a great 1x15". Sounds very 'old school' to me. Even w/ the horn ON( either 1/2 way up on it's dial- or more) I don't find it to be a bright 15". The horn seems very subtle- which I like. I USUALLY have the horn set on about 1/4 up(on it's dial) or less & use the AE112's horn a li'l more.
So- as a single 15" I highly reccomend the Mark Bass STD 151HR