Why become a member? ×

Quickie - shipping costs from US via expedited service

Clarky

Hi, I am considering bidding for a lovely looking bass on eBay but am not getting a sensible answer from the seller about how much to ship from US to UK (he's not being awkward, just don't think he has ever sold anything outside of the US).

So does anyone recall how much it costs - forgetting import duties etc, as I will factor these in separately - to ship a bass in hard case to the UK from the US. I am thinking of UPS, rather than the awful US Postal Service, and also one of their faster services (so I would get the bass in say a week)?

Cheers

PS, I am sure there's a thread somewhere about this but I haven't got much time

I've mostly used USPS and although they're slow (up to 4 weeks) provided that the bass has been well packed and the tracked service has been used I've been perfectly happy with the results. Price last time I had a bass shipped was about $100.

One seller I dealt with used FedEx which was extremely quick (less than a week) and because I had the bass delivered to my workplace I never had to pay any import duty or VAT on it which was just as well as it cost $300.

I was going to saY $100-$150.

Remember to factor in Duty and VAT (about 22% on the £ value of the item). If it comes by FedEx or DHL, they tend to deliver first and bill later. USPS seems to come via Royal Mail who want Duty + VAT + handling charge (£13) before letting you have your goodies.

Edited by 7string

Had a bass shipped Fedex a couple of months ago and cost $240 approx. They do indeed deliver then invoice you for the import charges, which means you'll get it pretty sharpish. Don't try to stiff them on the invoice though - it's tax revenue and you don't want HMRC as enemies.

Edited by leftybassman392

Thanks everyone for your replies. Unfortunately I was out-bid in the last minute of the auction at 4.21am as I slept :)

BTW, it was for a 1972 P bass (3TS/tort/rosewood) just like the one I have been searching for

So the search goes on

Edited by Clarky