Why become a member? ×

Fender Trad...dad

ianwild16

I'm pretty sure the late 80's US Fenders are deemed to have mostly been 'of bad stock'.
It's when they were just getting back on their feet after the CBS buy-back

So I reckon, if it's nice to you, it's worth something, if you think it's a dog, chances are so will other people lol
Post some pictures anyway! :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='646879' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:28 AM']I'm pretty sure the late 80's US Fenders are deemed to have mostly been 'of bad stock'.
It's when they were just getting back on their feet after the CBS buy-back

So I reckon, if it's nice to you, it's worth something, if you think it's a dog, chances are so will other people lol
Post some pictures anyway! :)

Si[/quote]
Sorry Si.. that's not quite the case!

The company really began to turn things around from '82 onwards. Production was scaled right back, and the emphasis was definitely on QC.

Some of the designs were unpopular (the longhorn, etc) but the build quality was generally good.

And to answer the OP, the one-piece pickguard and Strat knobs were standard on the J for a short while, and not specific to a budget range. That's circa. '83-ish.

Edited by wateroftyne

Schultz and co. didn't buy back Fender from CBS until 1985, and even then initially imported the guitars.
But you're right, I just checked and I got my dates a little late :), apparently the Corona factory opened in '85 under the new regime also.

I've never tried late 80's/early 90's Fender's, but I have heard people say they weren't the best, mostly guitarists I have to say. I think Beedster had a similar bass for sale, can't rememner whether he said it was a good'n or not!?

I've seen a pic of the bass in question though, and it looks nice. Hardware looks a little cheap perhaps, definitly similar tuners to whats on MIMs and Squiers now.
The guy who's selling it hasn't taken great pictures of it. I'll let the OP post the full link to the listing if he wants to.

[url="http://img38.imageshack.us/i/jazzfo.jpg/"][/url]

Si

Mexi factory opened in '87 I think, although don't know when production started!?

[url="http://img30.imageshack.us/i/tunersl.jpg/"][/url]

Bear in mind I dunno what US tuners looked like back then lol, I can only tell what i think Mexi tuners look like now! :)

Si

My first MIA Jazz was one of these with the one piece white scratch plate - I bought it used in about 1986/7 so it was probably a 1983/4ish? It was in a nice sienna burst IIRC. It was nothing special but other than being cosmetically challenged (IMHO) vs a 2 piece MIA I'd say the quality was about the same. The tuners on mine were open backed like yours.

I almost bought one of the american traditional basses back in 2000. it was brand new in the shop, not sure how long it had been there. I was told by the shop owner it was essentially mexican parts put together in America. not sure how true this is though, bought a mim jazz instead which is still my number one

EDIT Oh yeah, it was the same price as mexican one back then. I think I paid 320 or 339?

Edited by Stu-khag