Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratt's Jazz Bass Betsy

mep

I attended the Masons guitar show in Exeter the other week. On the Saturday afternoon Guy Prat was doing a Q&A session. Afterwards he was signing copies of his book 'My Bass and other animals' at the Mansons stand. I bought a copy and have already read it, it's great and I would recommend it.

There weren't that many people around and Guy had plenty of time on his hands before his stand up show later that evening in Exeter so a group of us were chatting with him and had the opportunity to not just admire Besty, his famous 64 Jazz Bass that he bought of John Entwhistle, but play it and take some photo's. It was not plugged in, but felt great.

It was a true privilege to play the bass that has featured on numerous famous recordings and talk to to Guy. I will not bore you with lists of songs it and he have featured on as you can read about that elsewhere. Just admire the bass.

[attachment=35743:Betsy.JPG]

Edited by mep

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='645873' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:00 AM']Has he still got EMGs loaded in it?[/quote]

Yeah he has. I suggested that he also needs a Badass bridge and Hipshot D tuner to fully customise it, but he was having none of it. Apparently he hasn't had to adjust anything since he got it.

[quote name='7string' post='645877' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:02 AM']Very cool :)

Was it Mansons Guitar Show and not the Masons? Could be a totally different event with weird handshakes and all that. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thanks for pointing out my typo. I have edited it and must be off to bed now as it's late.

I've got a Custom Shop 64 closet classic in those colours and it's just awesome. I was playing in a Floyd tribute at the time I got it so bought a set of EMG's to go on it to be like Guys (sad I know!) but they wouldn't slot in without me widening the routs - so I've left it with the originals in. I've got a few really nice basses but this one is definately one of my best!