Why become a member? ×

New bass that sounds like an old '79 Precision Special?

Jamesemt

I posted this thread initially on talkbass as I thought the Specials were more common in the states, but not many people seem to know about them.

I got a great deal on a '79 Precision Special (painted headstock/active) the other month and thought that it sounded pretty rubbish at home. Took it to band rehearsal last night for the first time as I'm having work done on my rehearsal basses, all I can say is WOW - this bass is EXACTLY what I was looking for in my tone.

Only downside is that it's way too heavy to gig with (I had to sit down after 30 mins). My gig basses are a pair of lightweight Hohner Jacks.

Can anyone think of a bass which sounds pretty similar to an old Precision Special when running active? Has anyone compared the MIM newer Specials to the old ones? Although I don't think they'll be in the same ballpark as they are completely different animals...

I've never played a Stingray in a band setting (as I don't own one), but am led to believe that the late 70s/early80s Precision Specials were designed as competition to the 'Ray. Unfortunately aren't most of those back breakers too?

FWIW I was using the active circuit with the bass slightly boosted and boosting/cutting the treble depending on the song

Oldest rule in the book is that basses that sound crap soloed often sound great in the mix. Problem with Fenders is that the poor QC (and to be fair the often unpredictable tonal qualities of wood an metal) often means that one 1980 Precision might sound the same as another but completely different to a third so a generic solution may not be simple.

Many would say that the tone is ultimately down to the PUPs and circuit so you could try dropping them into a lighter Precision?

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='644268' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:41 AM']Problem with Fenders is that the poor QC (and to be fair the often unpredictable tonal qualities of wood an metal) often means that one 1980 Precision might sound the same as another but completely different to a third so a generic solution may not be simple.[/quote]

Just to point out - around 1981-ish, Fender downsized, cut production right back - partly for economic reasons, and partly in an attempt to recover after the horrors of the the preceeding few years. They introduced, amongst others, the Specials, the Elites and the American Vintage reissues in an attempt to rescue the brand, and show it could still produce 'quality' instruments.

Because of the small-scale production, these instruments - along with the standard Ps & Js of the time, are held in very high regard.

The heavy ones are still bloody heavy, though.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='644290' date='Nov 3 2009, 12:11 PM']Because of the small-scale production, these instruments - along with the standard Ps & Js of the time, are held in very high regard.[/quote]

....by some, whilst being considered complete dogs by others (I've never played one so don't have an opinion either way) :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='644268' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:41 AM']Many would say that the tone is ultimately down to the PUPs and circuit so you could try dropping them into a lighter Precision?

C[/quote]

Ahhhh don't know if I could bring myself to split up a really nice bass!! Wonder if someone could clone me the preamp??

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='644295' date='Nov 3 2009, 12:15 PM']Oh, and by the way - the Precision Special in the OP will have been an '81.[/quote]

OK cheers for that - the guy I bought it off was convinced it was a '79.

Headstock starts E8 so I presumed it was maybe a late '79 early '80.

FWIW My Elite 1 sounds very similar at home - but that's in too good a condition to leave the house!!

Edited by Jamesemt

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='644324' date='Nov 3 2009, 12:44 PM']Hmm... I haven't heard this very often at all. Got any examples?[/quote]

Think there's a thread on here somewhere (in fact, I think it might have been in Basses For Sale), when the active electronics took a bashing alongside general tone and playability. Like I said, I haven't played one and as you know, I'm a Fender dude so would probably have a bias for anyway :)
Having owned a couple of early 80's Fenders I'd agree on the standards of the era generally.
C
PS did you get my PM re PUPs?

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='644265' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:39 AM']Can you describe the tone from the P special that you like? Is it hot like a Stingray?

Thinking G&L Tribute might be for you![/quote]

I've never played a Stingray!!! It sounded really thin and middy at home, yet perfect thumpy and cutting through with the band. Switched to an SX Jazz half way through the rehearsal and the rest of the band asked where the bottom end had gone :)

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='644327' date='Nov 3 2009, 12:45 PM']Ahhhh don't know if I could bring myself to split up a really nice bass!! Wonder if someone could clone me the preamp??[/quote]

Some time ago I had a local guru clone this circuit - he's not with us any more but I think I may still have the unit and/or the schematic somewhere (don't hold your breath - I've got a double garage workshop all shelved out and it takes a while to find anything!)

[quote name='Beedster' post='644337' date='Nov 3 2009, 12:55 PM']Think there's a thread on here somewhere (in fact, I think it might have been in Basses For Sale), when the active electronics took a bashing alongside general tone and playability. Like I said, I haven't played one and as you know, I'm a Fender dude so would probably have a bias for anyway :)
Having owned a couple of early 80's Fenders I'd agree on the standards of the era generally.
C[/quote]

Hmm... I can't find that thread. Is there a chance you're getting mixed up with the Mexican Precision Special?

I've owned two (Special and Elite) and they were both great - beautiful instruments of CS quality. I've not seen many, if any, P-Special haters either here, on TB, the FDP or elsewhere. Just lots of love!

The Fullerton AVs of that era go for silly money, and the standards of the time are very well made too.

It's actually seen as a bit of a golden era.... even the catalogue of the time is a collectors item. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beedster' post='644337' date='Nov 3 2009, 12:55 PM']PS did you get my PM re PUPs?[/quote]

Ooh! Forgot. I'll do it now...

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='644263' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:36 AM']I posted this thread initially on talkbass as I thought the Specials were more common in the states, but not many people seem to know about them.

I got a great deal on a '79 Precision Special (painted headstock/active) the other month and thought that it sounded pretty rubbish at home. Took it to band rehearsal last night for the first time as I'm having work done on my rehearsal basses, all I can say is WOW - this bass is EXACTLY what I was looking for in my tone.

Only downside is that it's way too heavy to gig with (I had to sit down after 30 mins). My gig basses are a pair of lightweight Hohner Jacks.

Can anyone think of a bass which sounds pretty similar to an old Precision Special when running active? Has anyone compared the MIM newer Specials to the old ones? Although I don't think they'll be in the same ballpark as they are completely different animals...

I've never played a Stingray in a band setting (as I don't own one), but am led to believe that the late 70s/early80s Precision Specials were designed as competition to the 'Ray. Unfortunately aren't most of those back breakers too?

FWIW I was using the active circuit with the bass slightly boosted and boosting/cutting the treble depending on the song[/quote]
Have you thought about getting a new body made up?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='644354' date='Nov 3 2009, 01:20 PM']Hmm... I can't find that thread. Is there a chance you're getting mixed up with the Mexican Precision Special?

I've owned two (Special and Elite) and they were both great - beautiful instruments of CS quality. I've not seen many, if any, P-Special haters either here, on TB, the FDP or elsewhere. Just lots of love!

The Fullerton AVs of that era go for silly money, and the standards of the time are very well made too.

It's actually seen as a bit of a golden era.... even the catalogue of the time is a collectors item. :)[/quote]

No, it was definitely early 80's active Precision (either Special or Elite). Might not have been a For Sale and as I'm on mobile broadband which is about as fast as Royal Mail at present I don't fancy looking myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting they're not good, but I was tempted to buy one a couple of years back and was put off by a few negative comments by other members who'd owned/played one.

Of course, I might be going mad :rolleyes:

C

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='644346' date='Nov 3 2009, 01:08 PM']Some time ago I had a local guru clone this circuit - he's not with us any more but I think I may still have the unit and/or the schematic somewhere (don't hold your breath - I've got a double garage workshop all shelved out and it takes a while to find anything!)[/quote]

If you find the unit/schematic I'd be happy to buy either off you!!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='644355' date='Nov 3 2009, 01:21 PM']Have you thought about getting a new body made up?[/quote]

I can't do it as the bass is really original and lovely...

I've already had brief discussions with Jon Shuker about building me a lightweight clone...problem is my current Buckeye build is taking a while because I keep getting Jon to do other jobs (LEDS on two basses, 5 bass setups, neck shaping) :)

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='644384' date='Nov 3 2009, 01:56 PM']I can't do it as the bass is really original and lovely...[/quote]

Bit of weight training perhaps? If the mountain won't come etc :)

Seriously, one of the reasons I like heavy basses is, to my ear and all else being equal, they sound better than light basses. OK, some folks say that's bull and that weight isn't a factor, and others say it's the electrics irrespective of wood type, mass etc, but if I give my '80 ray as an example, it weighed about 12lbs, 3lbs more than my '07, and the tone was a different league, tighter, more responsive, more powerful, thicker in the mids and more consistent across the range. Of course, it might have been down to PUPs and other factors, but I much preferred the heavier bass and just had to get used to slinging it around my neck to rehearse.

C

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='644327' date='Nov 3 2009, 12:45 PM']Ahhhh don't know if I could bring myself to split up a really nice bass!! Wonder if someone could clone me the preamp??[/quote]
It can be cloned easily - I had one cloned (from one of Hayward and Lodge's instruments I believe) around '82 and put into my Gibson Ripper. I had a Precision Special last year and it was tremendous: these are superb instruments in my experience and not too easy to find.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='644354' date='Nov 3 2009, 01:20 PM']Hmm... I can't find that thread. Is there a chance you're getting mixed up with the Mexican Precision Special?[/quote]

Long time ago now I know, but I think you might have been right Michael!

C

You should try a Sterling By MusicMan Ray 34 [url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/main.html?dir=bass_ray34"]http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/main.html?dir=bass_ray34[/url]

or SB14 one which is a still active and very light in weight with a J-bass neck [url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/main.html?dir=bass_sb14"]http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/main.html?dir=bass_sb14[/url]

They are pretty close to the real thing and half the price you could find them at any of these dealers: [url="http://www.stringsandthings.co.uk/MMstockhome.htm"]http://www.stringsandthings.co.uk/MMstockhome.htm[/url]