Why become a member? ×

That Lakland in Guitar and Bass this month....

Moos3h

[quote name='silddx' post='644400' date='Nov 3 2009, 02:21 PM']When I was a nipper people used to, in a completely racist fashion, say stuff from Japan was sh*te, cheeky slopes copying our inventions and all that rubbish.[/quote]
When I was a nipper people used to say they wouldn't buy anything Japanese because of the war - but they didn't seem to say the same thing as often about the Germans.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='644416' date='Nov 3 2009, 02:43 PM']I recall the outrage when it transpired that the 1968 "I'm Backing Britain" promotional carrier bags were of Nipponese manufacture.[/quote]
Around World Cup time I'm always struck by the number of probably Chinese made St. George's crosses flying from cars that were built almost anywhere except England. Strange.

I remember when people used to knock Japanese Fenders. They were wrong.

Lakland/Sadowsky can make their basses cheaper this way, so everyone can try one...

Not only that, they really do go over them.

I've already waited 6 weeks for my JO5, and I'll wait another 3 months If I have to. Dan actually hand picked me the lightest one and then made sure the UK supplier were aware. Dan also mentioned it would be another 3-4 months before he had stock after the run he had in his workshop. I like that....

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Toasted' post='644345' date='Nov 3 2009, 01:07 PM']Certainly have. I assume Dan Lakin has too. Like anywhere it depends where you choose to buy from. There are dodgy factories and great factories. Much like every other country.[/quote]

Can't work out whether we agree or differ? My experience isn't musical instrument manufacture but my observations have noted that the best production units are those that are primarily non-Chinese management, working with US/European/Japanese equipment (and product designs) and non-Chinese QA systems. So, how much of the talent is Chinese?

Getting back to the OP's point, considering the lower labour costs, incentives, lack of R&D and mass-production techniques, why would I pay >£1000 for a Far East produced copy of a copy (albeit a well built one) when I could have a non mass produced UK built bass of equivalent or better quality for not much more? I find it a bit sad that US (and some European) manufacturers haven't revisited cost reduction and innovation to compete with the Far East and have just taken the easy route to make their products accessible to the lower pricing point buyer. Just the opinion of someone who's industry has 'relocated' to the Far East and now spends his time making Far East production 'fit for purpose' :) .