Why become a member? ×

Bass Set-Ups

bassatnight

Folks,

I have recently bought a few basses some in better condition than others but sadly one needs some TLC that is a bit beyond my humble skills.

The volume pot is stiff and causes electrical crackling through my amps this is undoubtedly due to excessive dust particles as the bass had clearly been left uncovered for some years, the bridge has about a half inch of dust to be cleared away!

I can obviously clean what I can but I would prefer an expert eye.

What can I expect from a standard service set up and can anyone recommend one in the Bexhill/Hastings area?

Ta,

Steve.

I wouldn't expect a standard set up to include anything to do with the electrics; it'd just be neck relief, bridge adjustment & a new set of strings.
The crackling pot is probably being caused by the track in the pot becoming carbonised - this happens when pots are left untouched for any length of time. You could probably sort it out yourself with a can of electrical contact cleaner.

[quote name='RhysP' post='641823' date='Oct 31 2009, 12:41 PM']I wouldn't expect a standard set up to include anything to do with the electrics; it'd just be neck relief, bridge adjustment & a new set of strings.[/quote]
I had a setup done by Hugh Manson, who cleaned the pots and replaced the battery as a matter of course. So, some luthiers do it.

I would expect the electronics to be checked as well. I've done the odd setup for friends and students and came up with this list to make sure that I didn't forget anything:

Truss rod nut cleaned & lubed.
Neck evaluated and adjusted (if necessary).
Fingerboard thoroughly cleaned and conditioned.
Frets polished.
Bridge cleaned and adjusted to fretboard radius.
Nut and string slots cleaned.
Nut height taken down (if necessary).
Electronics checked.
Pots cleaned.
Switches cleaned.
Control cavity checked, cleaned (and sanded smooth if necessary).
New strings fitted.
Intonation checked with a strobe tuner for super-accuracy.
String height checked and adjusted either for your playing style or to original factory specs.
Neck satinised (if requested).
Pickup heights checked and adjusted (if necessary).
Guitar cleaned and hi-gloss polish applied.

Sanding the control cavity makes people think about shielding and makes the job a lot easier for them to do. I really don't like the heavy gloss on necks so I take care of that as well "satinising" the neck.

By the way, my parents live in Bexhill. Small world !!

It's 0000 grade wire wool. :)

Literally a few passes with a piece and it takes the edge off the thick gloss you get on the back of the neck with some basses. Takes about 30 seconds but makes a world of difference. Be careful around the neck/body joint (don't touch the body) and don't do it with anything but 0000 grade wire wool. Anything thing else is too harsh.

Edited by 7string

• 1 month later...

That list by "7string" is pretty comprehensive. I include all of these in my standard setups.

tighten any screws that might have come loose too! particularly machine head screws.

I always evaluate the pots and decided whether to clean them with contact cleaner but sometimes it can be a risky business if the pots are crap quality! Of course i point out all the defects to the customer and check that they want them doing too.

acoustic guitars:
correct string break angle at bridge too

there's loads of tiny things i do which i dont even notice im doing half the time!!!

Jack

Nice to see that I'm not the only one doing more than the average setup :)

I've even heard of setups being done without even changing the strings. Even that costs £30 +.

At the moment, I do setups for £20 and the customer supplies a set of strings (if not I supply the strings at cost +£2 as I have to get them. I'm even do collection/delivery within 3 miles of the City centre for an extra £5 (other places available though).

I've found players who are at work at all week and just don't want to waste part of their valuable weekend taking guitars to be set up and then collecting them the next weekend. Last weekend, I set a guitar up on Saturday for the owner to collect Sunday midday as that fitted into their lives.

I find if I ask for a set up & highlight a certain issue, that'll get done too. RhysP is quite right though about the electrical contact cleaner. Cheap as chips on EBay too. When you consider how easy it is to clean the pots there is no reason why it can't just be included in the set up.