Why become a member? ×

Anyone here a pro bass player?

Spoonman

I have been playing as a pro for the last 4 years with 2 major label pop bands, the first of which didn't break and I am now in another for the same label and have been for 10 months. The album gets released early next year.

If this is the route you are looking at then i recomend you do a lot of networking and sign up to sites such as starnow.co.uk and ukmusicjobs.co.uk as major labels always put casting calls up on sites like this. you have to pay a motnhly fee to reply to the castings though.

For auditions make sure you really listen to the tracks you are sent and learn the parts that are on the record, don't try and add flashy parts and licks into the tracks when you auditions this will be frowned upon, however have a couple of fills/licks up our sleeve incase they ask you ad-lib. Be polite and on time and make sure you have all of your gear in good working order.

I also work in GAK alongside playing as a pro as money can sometimes be a little un-stable depending on whats happening wth the projects. I also find it keeps you grounded, as playing pro can go to some peoples heads (I've seen this a lot!)

Most importantly just have fun wth it!...

oh and keep money aside for the tax man :)

wes

Been playing bass for over 30 years- since was 15- always played at least four times per week- mostly in cover bands though was with a couple of signed bands- never really got anywhere. Had a period ( 4 years ) with one tribute band where we played almost every night- toured UK, Germany, did cruises- bahamas- Israel etc.

Really not a great life once you have been doing it for years. Being in others pockets can be difficult- esp 7 in a van for hours at a time.

Am really happy now playing 4-5 times per month. Have my own business so no real financial pressures. I have had some years without playing a note- really because for a period I played too much and got burnt out.

Now really enjoying it again.

Good luck to anyone trying to go pro- my advice is to practice- get yourself about a bit and stay nice. Stay off the booze too.

Bob

In the summer I turned up to audition for a "pro" band who “were going to be big” only to find out that the drummer couldn't make it, the guitarist hadn't learned the two numbers that I'd been given and the singer couldn't get his amp working correctly. I had learned the numbers and was the only one playing them properly! Unfortunately unprofessionalism works in both directions!

[quote name='Spoonman' post='637037' date='Oct 26 2009, 04:28 PM']Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere else, but here goes..

I'm trying to get going as a pro bass player. I'm in my final year of uni doing music at the moment so I'm trying to get afloat with something soon. I've got some stuff going on; for one thing I play with a singer-songwriter who I think has a lot of potential (was signed with RCA, but recently split - long story..), but not often does it earn me money.

Basically I just wondered if anyone has a steady income from playing bass? And if anyone cares to share, what kind of stuff do they do, how did they get it started? Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Phil[/quote]

[list=1]
[*]Be 15 mins early
[*]Play everything
[*]Know the material inside out and be a great sightreader (where no band calls are required)
[*]Be fun to be around
[*]Network like crazy especially with drummers and MD's
[*]Keep your opinions to yourself
[*]Learn to sing, backing vocals are very desirable
[*]Have good gear especially leads and sockets that do not cackle
[*]Timing, timing. timing!
[*]DON'T PLAY TOO LOUD!!!
[/list]

Hi all,

Thought I'd chip in with some advice. I've been a pro bassist for eight years now.

My main job is teaching, which I do at BIMM Bristol (I'm head of bass there, and teach all levels). I encounter students every day who want to be professional bassists and there are four things that continuously bang on about:

1) Sight reading. If you can read well, you will gig. There are so many opportunities for a reading bassist. As an example, when I left university I went straight to cruise ship work and saw the world. How? Because I could read.
2) Music Theory. It won't kill your creativity, and will benefit your playing in every way. Learn all you can - you need to be able to talk to musicians in a language they understand.
3) Walking bass. If you can walk a convincing line over chord changes, it can be very helpful. Not necessarily for playing jazz, but the process of learning how will teach you the fretboard and about chord tones in better detail than you could ever imagine.
4) Be versatile. If you can competently play in a number of styles with authority then you'll be pretty employable.

There are a few other concerns, such as punctuality, politeness, image, but I consider those to be pretty obvious.

So what do I do? I teach at BIMM, I write a lot of books (I run my own publishing company), I play wedding gigs at the weekend, I tour with Carl Palmer, I occasionally write for Bass Guitar Magazine and i give private lessons. It's a very rewarding career, but it involves a LOT of hard work. It is worth it, but I know when I first went pro and lost the security of a regular wage, there were times when I wondered if it was.

Good luck with it, and be sure to let us all know how you get on.

Best,
Stuart

[quote name='Alz' post='639622' date='Oct 29 2009, 12:05 AM'][list=1]
[*]Be 15 mins early
[*]Play everything
[*]Know the material inside out and be a great sightreader (where no band calls are required)
[*]Be fun to be around
[*]Network like crazy especially with drummers and MD's
[*]Keep your opinions to yourself
[*]Learn to sing, backing vocals are very desirable
[*]Have good gear especially leads and sockets that do not cackle
[*]Timing, timing. timing!
[/list][/quote]

Oh by the way, I forgot....

Go easy on the sauce and crack.

[quote name='johnmarley' post='641832' date='Oct 31 2009, 12:50 PM']Have any of you other pro bass players found that you've played at so many weddings now that it has almost certainly ruined yours when it comes?!!! They are all the same...I'm gonna elope and definately won't be having 'Your Song' by Elton John as a first dance.[/quote]

have some thing people really wouldnt expect like monkey man.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

I've been playing bass with Elliot Minor for 3 years now, and although it's been a lot of fun and we've had some amazing opportunities, I'm uneasy about classing myself as a professional, for two reasons:

1. There seems to be a level of 'skill' associated with the term 'professional' and in that respect I have a huge amount to learn. I'm not saying that's how it is but that's how it feels to me.

2. I'm still living in my dad's house and pick up part time work whenever I can in between tours, which more often than not isn't musically related. I've earned enough to survive but a lot of our profits have been put back into the band to fund European tours etc given that we've never had any kind of financial support from a label. Even when we were on a major, nothing made it's way back to the band. Having said that we were immensely grateful for the promotion we received while with Warner.

I'm actually looking into maybe depping as we have quite a bit of time off after the tour. Either that or doing some beginners lessons.

The day I move out and get my own place and start earning a decent living from music is when I will sit comfortably with the term 'professional'.

Ed