Why become a member? ×

If...

Lew-Bass

[quote name='Lew-Bass' post='627521' date='Oct 16 2009, 02:19 AM']You got all of the parts needed to be assembled to create a bass guitar, how much would a luthier realistically charge to put it all together? And would they actually do this?[/quote]

I'm sure most jobbing luthiers would take the project on board. Cost? Depends on the luthier's rates, but I wouldn't imagine any less than £75 -£100 at the very least, given it's a build [i]and [/i]a set-up.

The other guys are right - DIY or post to see if someone here can help, indicating your location.

[quote name='mike257' post='627646' date='Oct 16 2009, 10:49 AM']What have you got Lew? I've got a screwdriver and a soldering iron. I'll have to go the offy for us though, you'd have no chance in my local :lol:[/quote]

Nothing as of yet Mike, I was just contemplating it as a next bass instead of buying a stock one. I'd only have a budget of £[b]<[/b]500 therefore a full-blown luthier job would be out of the question. I also wouldn't trust myself with anything like this, so that's how the idea came about. I'll have to price it all up but I reckon if I bought sensibly second-hand I'd be able to get a pretty decent bass for my money.

P.S. I'd only let you go the offy afterwards, a drunk and a soldering iron don't sound too good to me!!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='627824' date='Oct 16 2009, 01:07 PM']I'm sure most jobbing luthiers would take the project on board. Cost? Depends on the luthier's rates, but I wouldn't imagine any less than £75 -£100 at the very least, given it's a build [i]and [/i]a set-up.

The other guys are right - DIY or post to see if someone here can help, indicating your location.[/quote]

Thanks mate. I'm based in Liverpool for anyone reading this :)

Edited by Lew-Bass

Yeah, if you're on a budget like that, you're best off going for something 'ready-made' really, there's some great gear knocking around in that price range. Buying spare parts and building is pretty nifty and cost effective if you've got a bass to upgrade, but not so much so if you're buying the whole thing from scratch!!

Good call on the drunken soldering too, I'd end up with a tone pot permanently fixed to my kneecap, probably!