Why become a member? ×

Shuker self build course

Bass-ic

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='626851' date='Oct 15 2009, 12:47 PM']Hi
Im sure ive seen something like this on the site somewhere, but has anyone actually done the group course. It seems like an incredibly good deal.
Im fairly well versed in carpentry so am seriously considering this. Any info would be great.
Cheers
Matt[/quote]

Talk to Tait
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=830"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=830[/url]

PMd!

there are others that have done this course, if you search "shuker course" there are a few threads with people asking about the course, and a few threads from people to have done the course. although, sorry, the vast majority or threads that turn up in the search are ones where i've referred to my "shuker course taitycaster" in a reply.

[quote name='Tait' post='627161' date='Oct 15 2009, 05:56 PM']PMd!

there are others that have done this course, if you search "shuker course" there are a few threads with people asking about the course, and a few threads from people to have done the course. although, sorry, the vast majority or threads that turn up in the search are ones where i've referred to my "shuker course [color="#000000"][size=4]taitycaster[/color][/size]" in a reply.[/quote]

Always makes me think of someone sowing potato seeds for some reason :)

It's very good.

Not what you want to know but...

[list]
[*]Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm, but you can start a little later and/or finish a little earlier
[*]On the website, it says you can make a standard precision or jazz style bass with a simple lacquer finish - you do have some freedom to make something a little more sophisticated, but there is only so much time.
[*]You make the body, neck and fingerboard from raw wood.
[*]Wood and hardware is high quality.
[*]Typically use light machinery and hand tools
[*]You'll make mistakes
[/list]

It's very good.

[list]
[*]Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm, but you can start a little later and/or finish a little earlier
[*]On the website, it says you can make a standard precision or jazz style bass with a simple lacquer finish - you do have some freedom to make something a little more sophisticated, but there is only so much time.
[*]You'll make mistakes
[/list]

Hi All.
Cheers for your input Luke I have a few more questions for you, but I'll pm you.

I think my main concern, as I'm still fairly new to the Bass, is about pickups, the choices of and which is better for which purpose ie do you need different for passive/active and why etc. Would this be dependant on what sort of style of music you intend to play?
Hmm

Cheers
Matt

[quote name='BigRedX' post='627850' date='Oct 16 2009, 01:27 PM']I would have though that help with those choices is what Jon is there to do?[/quote]

Hi
yes indeed, but he has only listed a few types of pick up.
I just need some basic info on what they are like or whether, because of the 'bespokeness' of such a hand made bass, would it better to spend some extra cash for something better/ different?

Im sure Jon is extremley knowledgable is this area, but i do like to research projects before i commit cash to them
:)

cheers
Matt

Edited by Absolute-beginner

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='627949' date='Oct 16 2009, 03:04 PM']Hi
I just need some basic info on what they are like or whether, because of the 'bespokeness' of such a hand made bass, would it better to spend some extra cash for something better/ different?

Im sure Jon is extremley knowledgable is this area, but i do like to research projects before i commit cash to them

cheers
Matt[/quote]

Don't worry about what Jon has listed on his web site. Within reason he can source pretty much anything, so if you want a particular type of pickup in your build he's likely to accomodate that (subject to cost of course!). I know Luke specified Seymour Duncan's, but with a modded pre-amp on his build.

One of the real benefits of this course (or having Jon build a bass for you!) is that you can pick his brains on what will work for you.

[quote name='Sercet' post='627213' date='Oct 15 2009, 06:38 PM']It's very good.

[list]
[*]You'll make mistakes
[/list][/quote]

Not enough time to make a 35" scale neck-through 5 string Jazz, then?

G.

matt, without wanting to put you off, because it really is an amazing week, have you thought about waiting a while before doing it? its just, it sounds like you don't know what you want in your bass, and trust me, this bass really is a keeper. i don't know how new to bass you are, but maybe you want to wait until you have your own technique, you know what styles you play, what pickup manufacterers make a sound you want, whether you want active/passive etc.

sure, if you want to go for it now, then thats great. but its just a thought. either way, you'll love what you've made, you'll have a great time, and like others have said, jon and basschat are here to help.

of course, you can't go wrong with a precision or a jazz really, and my personal favourites are seymour duncan. i also really like the EMGs in my dad's precision. also remember that if you begin to develop a taste for active basses, or you find other pickups you like or whatever, the knowledge gained from the course will allow you to swap pickups, route holes for active electronics, remove electronics etc. for yourself, and even if you don't have the confidence to do that, a local luthier or jon will be able to do it. you can even refinish the bass yourself! so the only permanent things are the body woods, the shape and the neck. you can even route it or plug holes for different shaped pickups, so if you ever take a liking to a musicman pickup.

so don't worry too much about things like that. and remember jon will help you pick things like that, he knows a fair bit about basses!

i've not recieved a PM from you, i don't know if you've sent it yet or not, but if you have i'm not ignoring you!

voxpop, jon will give you a quote based around what you want to build. when i did the course about a year and a half ago, i think the one-to-one courses were about £950 each (that was what i was quoted, i later added another pickup to have a final price of £990. my build was fairly basic, too) and the five person courses were about £650. although now its three person courses so the prices have probably changed.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='627949' date='Oct 16 2009, 03:04 PM']Hi

cheers
Matt[/quote]

i would let someone who is a real luthier (jon) make it...then you can enjoy the crafstmanship
its a little beano to do one but i dont think you would be happy with the results

or resale value

[quote name='mrcrow' post='628251' date='Oct 16 2009, 07:50 PM']i would let someone who is a real luthier (jon) make it...then you can enjoy the crafstmanship
its a little beano to do one but i dont think you would be happy with the results

or resale value[/quote]

completely different points. if you want a perfectly built bass, then sure, jon can do it. if you want to learn about the bass and want to have a fun week, and especially if you want something special that you can say "i built this myself" then you want the course. you wont come out with a perfect bass (although the quality is still amazing), but you'll come out with something IMO a lot more special than even a custom bass.

[attachment=34580:DSCN0768.JPG][attachment=34581:DSCN0773.JPG]

I managed a multi-lam 5 string super jazz...ok, had to assemble it with a rather soft finish...but got it done. Raw wood to bass in five days.

Yes, I did carve the neck a little too thin..and there is one small dent in the fingerboard (missed the fret..getting tired!) but its a good bass and a tribute to Jon's patience and knowledge.

[quote name='BassBod' post='628410' date='Oct 16 2009, 11:37 PM'][attachment=34580:DSCN0768.JPG][attachment=34581:DSCN0773.JPG]

I managed a multi-lam 5 string super jazz...ok, had to assemble it with a rather soft finish...but got it done. Raw wood to bass in five days.

Yes, I did carve the neck a little too thin..and there is one small dent in the fingerboard (missed the fret..getting tired!) but its a good bass and a tribute to Jon's patience and knowledge.[/quote]

Blimey - that looks fantastic!