Why become a member? ×

Machine Gun By The Commodores

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='626637' date='Oct 15 2009, 07:31 AM']I've always wondered how this amazing bass sound was achieved. Is it a synth? Surely they weren't using bass synths on record then...or am I wrong?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubd2uUPT5ww"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubd2uUPT5ww[/url][/quote]

Most of the sounds were generated with one of these [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clavinet"]Clavinet[/url] Probably the bass line is tic/tak of Clav & real bass? (I can't hear it properly at moment I am on laptop speakers).

Brendan

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='626637' date='Oct 15 2009, 07:31 AM']....Is it a synth? Surely they weren't using bass synths on record then....[/quote]
Machine Gun came out in 1974. Stevie Wonder was using Synths on his solo records by 1972 and probably earlier.

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='626699' date='Oct 15 2009, 09:42 AM']Most of the sounds were generated with one of these [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clavinet"]Clavinet[/url] Probably the bass line is tic/tak of Clav & real bass? (I can't hear it properly at moment I am on laptop speakers).

Brendan[/quote]
Haha, beat me to it, but +1 to the above.
In one of the bands I was in, back in the 70's, our keyboard player had one of the staple combination set-ups of the time: a Wurlitzer electric piano (later a Fender Rhodes) plus a Hohner D6 Clavinet. (I loved that sound). He then added one of the (then) new Korg synths. Can't remember the model but it was only monophonic. Not bad for solo's anyway. He 'upgraded' to a Moog.

I love that tune but I don't think it's one instrument giving you the sound you're talking about. There's bass, clavi, synths and all sorts on that track.

I like the fact that Jonathan Ross hinted at Lionel Richie in that interview a couple of years ago that it's a shame that he no longer unleashes the funk.

[quote name='The Funk' post='626843' date='Oct 15 2009, 12:35 PM']I love that tune but I don't think it's one instrument giving you the sound you're talking about. There's bass, clavi, synths and all sorts on that track.

I like the fact that Jonathan Ross hinted at Lionel Richie in that interview a couple of years ago that it's a shame that he no longer unleashes the funk.[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Unweash The Funk!...Wionel!....

[quote name='Stingray5' post='626815' date='Oct 15 2009, 12:05 PM']Haha, beat me to it, but +1 to the above.
In one of the bands I was in, back in the 70's, our keyboard player had one of the staple combination set-ups of the time: a Wurlitzer electric piano (later a Fender Rhodes) plus a Hohner D6 Clavinet. (I loved that sound). He then added one of the (then) new Korg synths. Can't remember the model but it was only monophonic. Not bad for solo's anyway. He 'upgraded' to a Moog.[/quote]

Them were the day hey? Looking at your avatar I guess you like me also love the sound of the Melotron?

I would love to work in a band with someone with one of those, but would hate to help them carry it!! :)

B

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='627242' date='Oct 15 2009, 07:21 PM']Them were the day hey? Looking at your avatar I guess you like me also love the sound of the Melotron?

I would love to work in a band with someone with one of those, but would hate to help them carry it!! :)

B[/quote]
I've worked with a couple of keyboard players that had a Mellotron. Long gone now (...the Mellotrons I mean! :rolleyes: )
The worst thing, aside from the weight, was replacing tape loops. Tuning was also a right pain in the A#...!

Thanks Pete for rediscovering this gem. I have coped my 79p & downloaded it from iTunes. The bass line has got to be a synth there is an extended chord & glissando near the end that must be keyboard.

As someone said earlier Stevie Wonder was using synths in early 1970 here is a youtube clip of [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuaSzFf7yq0"]Stevie & TONTO (Clicky)[/url] --- Hippies gone Funky!!! Now I got to get me one of them!!! :)

Brendan

• 14 years later...

Guys, that is an ARP 2600 synthesiser. It is using a band pass filter on  a pair of slightly detuned sawtooth oscillators. The BP filter is why there is so little very low end. In the hands of the late great Milan Williams it is funky as hell. In many places in the song Milan overdubbed the same notes an octave up on the Clavinet. 

• Like 1