Why become a member? ×

Shuker Jazz "Jaffa Cake" Bass

thedontcarebear

I decided to get a Shuker Jazz after looking at all the Jazzes available, gonna phone Jon later to put the deposit down, but thought I'd post a spec here: -

4 string J bass
34" scale
22 fret
Maple neck
Maple f/board
Orange headstock face (to match body)
Two way truss rod
Carbon fibre reinforcement
Black 2mm side dots
Black block markers
Possible inlay on 12th fret block
Satin lacquer finish
Brass nut
Medium fretwire
Gotoh elephant ear tuners
Black shuker logo

Swamp ash body
Polyester basecoat
Bright orange colour coat, gloss topcoat

Black s/plate
Black control plate
Black hardware
Black gotoh 203 bridge

Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 pickups
Passive electronics
Vol, pan, tone

Shuker Hiscox hardcase

Edited by thedontcarebear

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='623738' date='Oct 12 2009, 09:02 AM']It was that or pink! Haha.[/quote]

Each to their own I guess :)
You going with a matching headstock too?
Always thinks it adds that little bit more class to a fenderesque bass.
You certainly won't be disappointed with Jon's work though, the stealthy J Bass I recently let go was the best Jazz Bass I'd ever played, and was certainly the sexiest bass I've ever owned, was sad to see it go.
Unfortunately, the Jazz Bass sound just ain't me, perhaps if I'd gone with a Precision pickup and a MM at the bridge things would've turned out differently...

Eude

I was thinking about a matching headstock, but I am not really sure at the moment, I might ask about the cost and see if it's worth it.

I love jazz basses, and don't think I'll play anything else now after all these years of trying other stuff.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='623749' date='Oct 12 2009, 09:13 AM']I love jazz basses, and don't think I'll play anything else now after all these years of trying other stuff.[/quote]

I'm with you on that!

Looking forward to seeing this unfold! :)

Si

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='623749' date='Oct 12 2009, 09:13 AM']I was thinking about a matching headstock, but I am not really sure at the moment, I might ask about the cost and see if it's worth it.

I love jazz basses, and don't think I'll play anything else now after all these years of trying other stuff.[/quote]

Good choice!

Oh the matching headstock won't cost much ...
Think about side LEDs though if you play on stage:) They are brilliant (SIC) and well worth it.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='623789' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:14 AM']Any idea how much LED's are? I guess they might add to the build time as well.[/quote]

Not a huge amount in terms of % .. I got mine years ago so I don't know the current costs. Worth every penny though, not only for the practicalities of being able to find your place in the dark but also 'cos it's just about the only aspect of a relatively normal looking custom that impresses civilians, drummers, funding sources such as wives, etc ....
Mind you an orange bass is hardly normal ...

Don't worry about build times. Luthier months are notoriously longer than normal months .....
Just add about 30% to whatever Jon says and you'll be OK.

Just spoke to him and gonna get a matching headstock, and going to call him later to put the deposit down.

Didn't mention LED's, as I'm still not sure, people may think I am showing off a bit too much if I get them!

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='623807' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:29 AM']Just spoke to him and gonna get a matching headstock, and going to call him later to put the deposit down.

Didn't mention LED's, as I'm still not sure, people may think I am showing off a bit too much if I get them![/quote]

LEDs - Just on the side .. No one can see them when you are playing. Front LED's are awful IMHO,

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='623945' date='Oct 12 2009, 01:33 PM']I'll ask about the LED cost later when I talk to him, if it's a lot though, I won't get it, really depends, I've not had issues at gigs with not seeing the dots.[/quote]

Yeah I thought that too ... Then I got them and I now see side markers in a whole new light :)
"Jafa cake"? Hoping to avoid paying VAT?
:rolleyes:

Haha yeah, it's a cake, not a bass!

But yeah, I am getting his shape not the traditional one. Just because of the pictures of that blue one, that's up for sale again here, looks a bit rounder.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='623958' date='Oct 12 2009, 01:46 PM']Haha yeah, it's a cake, not a bass!

But yeah, I am getting his shape not the traditional one. Just because of the pictures of that blue one, that's up for sale again here, looks a bit rounder.[/quote]

Nice one :)
I got mine done in a slab finish, just personal preference, reckon it can be as curvy as you want it.

Eude