Why become a member? ×

Modifications to my MIM Jazz Bass

Mecklenburg

In an attempt to ease a case of GAS for another bass, I was thinking about making some improvements to my Fender Jazz bass.

It's a MIM Fretless Jazz, made around 2000. I've never replaced anything on it and have owned it from new. I don't know a thing really about upgrading pickups, bridges, nuts etc. So I am wondering if any one can recomend some modifications or has done any themselves to a similar bass?
I really like the sound I get out of it, but I'm thinking it sometimes could do with a bit more balls!

Cheers!

64s are the traditional jazz sound, and the ones I prefer. 84s are bigger and darker sounding due to the extra windings. Don't know about the Hammers.

Bridge wise, I'm not convinced that changing the bridge makes a big difference, but others will disagree.

Start with the Wizards and take it from there, I don't think you'll need to change anything else on it to be honest. Of course, if you're feeling flush, drop a John East J Retro EQ into too, and you've got a monster on your hands.

I have to agree about the J-Retro... put one in my Jazz (fretless) and it's a bass monster... I play mainly Drum&Bass with it.
I've a MIM Precision that I've modded but only as far as new machines and covers, the electrics are fine and it sounds great.

Edited by bh2

Ive got a MIM jazz from 2000 as well. the only mods Ive done is stuck in some SD Basslines pups. Im happy with them but I'd love to try one with some wizards in it just to compare. Ive never had a problem with the bridge so I couldnt possibly comment on replacing it and Im really happy with the tuners.

I've got a MIM jazz deluxe and put a Gotoh 201 bridge on it made huge difference made the tone brighter I was quite sceptical about doing it but on the orginal bridge the E string saddle grub screws kept working loose, so I had to do something and am very glad I went for it
Picked one up for £30 well worth it, action is a bit high now though so needs a good set up, which I haven't got round to yet

Edited by markl

+1 for the Gotoh 201. Put one on my MIM Jazz a couple of months ago and never regretted it. Base plate is a bit thicker than the original though so you may struggle a bit if you want a really low action. Otherwise fine. It's a doddle to fit and set up as well.

Edited by leftybassman392

Thanks for all your suggestions guys - keep them coming!

I really like my low action on the fretless, so I think I will leave replacing the bridge for now. I'm going to look into getting some Wizards pups - not sure which set i want yet, I like the description of the 'Hammer' anyone on here tried it?

I have done a lot with my MIM fretless.

It started out like this:

I then had the fingerboard epoxied by a Dutch luthier:

Then came the classy part: I switched the pickguard to a black one.

Technically, I've replaced the pickups with Fender Custom Shop 60's pickups, which I got quite cheap. They sound so incredibly awesome! Lastly, I've replaced the bridge with a Gotoh 201. The bass now looks like this:

I couldn't be happier with it. Oh wait, I can. If it had a matching headstock :)

[quote name='BassAgent' post='620038' date='Oct 7 2009, 10:18 PM']I have done a lot with my MIM fretless.

[/quote]

That looks very nice!
How much was it to get your fingerboard epoxied? How much difference did it make to overal sound?

It looks really nice with the black pickguard. My bass is sunburst with a white pickguard - have been thinking about changing it for ages, but never decided on what to change to!

[quote name='BassAgent' post='620038' date='Oct 7 2009, 10:18 PM']I have done a lot with my MIM fretless.

It started out like this:

Then came the classy part: I switched the pickguard to a black one.

Technically, I've replaced the pickups with Fender Custom Shop 60's pickups, which I got quite cheap. They sound so incredibly awesome! Lastly, I've replaced the bridge with a Gotoh 201. The bass now looks like this:

I couldn't be happier with it. Oh wait, I can. If it had a matching headstock :)[/quote]

That's lovely, how did you find the action after fitting the bridge?

Edited by markl