Why become a member? ×

Hi from Dorset

oldslapper

Hello fellow low downers,
New member here from Dorset. Just saying hello...there that was easy.
Influences: Dee Murray, Macca, Stanley Clark, Pierre Brock, Percy Jones, Rocco Prestia, Bootsy, etc.
Playing for 30 years. Teach bass in schools and at home studio with private students. Will teach guitar if needed, but always try to convert students to the dark arts. Play in function bands and odd live/recording session work.
Currently playing warwick 4 & 5 string guitars, EUB and (thanks to Mark from bass direct) am a genz benz owner.
Have my old Yorkville rig to sell now, so will post that at some time.
Great to here from you bout stuff. Looks like a great place to chat and exchange ideas.

Great to hear from the dorset bass fraternity, thanks for the welcome too! Haven't been in the area long, but Dorset has a good music scene (IMHO) from rural acoustic nights to larger (Bournemouth/Poole venues) anyone see Chic in the summer?, awesome, even without the legendary Bernard Edwards. Anyway nice to hear from you and I'd be chuffed if anyone can post any bassy events happening in the area....I'll do the same.

[quote name='Moo' post='619922' date='Oct 7 2009, 08:04 PM']Hi Old Slapper.

Welcome to basschat fellow Dorsetite.

Are you the teacher My Son and I had a couple of lessons with last year?

Moo. (AKA Mark Warder)[/quote]
Hey Mark,
I believe I was, must be longer than a year, very early down the teaching avenue, hope you got over my fumbled attempts at coaching!
Good to hear from you, how's the jazz playing? Do you still go to the blues nights? I must visit sometime, our singer goes and he says they're great.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='620059' date='Oct 7 2009, 10:43 PM']Hey Mark,
I believe I was, must be longer than a year, very early down the teaching avenue, hope you got over my fumbled attempts at coaching!
Good to hear from you, how's the jazz playing? Do you still go to the blues nights? I must visit sometime, our singer goes and he says they're great.[/quote]

Hi There.
I liked your lessons, but the long drive was too much, and charley got a more local teacher through school.
The Jazz thing is not realy happening now. I joined a rock band, which has now gone in a funk direction due to suggestions from the pubs we played. The funk set goes down realy well. - We are a walking 70's/80's Disco, which amazes the younger clientel that such tunes can be played by a band.
I am still doing sound for 'Bluesnights'. Our next Gig with Geof Aichson (SP?) got a bigup on Radio2 and is nearly sold out.
How is your teaching going? You keeping busy?

Moo.

[quote name='Moo' post='621901' date='Oct 9 2009, 06:30 PM']Hi There.
I liked your lessons, but the long drive was too much, and charley got a more local teacher through school.
The Jazz thing is not realy happening now. I joined a rock band, which has now gone in a funk direction due to suggestions from the pubs we played. The funk set goes down realy well. - We are a walking 70's/80's Disco, which amazes the younger clientel that such tunes can be played by a band.
I am still doing sound for 'Bluesnights'. Our next Gig with Geof Aichson (SP?) got a bigup on Radio2 and is nearly sold out.
How is your teaching going? You keeping busy?

Moo.[/quote]
Hi, yes teaching built up over past 18 months now to full time with bass work too, which is cool. Teaching split 50;50 bass/guitar, but always prefer bass. I'm slowly converting my function band to dance/disco, the drummer is into it, but the guitarists want to rock out......I'll have to show them some nile rogers!! Glad Charley got a teacher nearer, is he still pursuing upright bass too?
This forum is great, i didn't know about it until i did a search for genz benz.
I'll try and get down to the blues night soon.
Nice to hear from you,
John

[quote name='oldslapper' post='622080' date='Oct 9 2009, 10:21 PM']Hi, yes teaching built up over past 18 months now to full time with bass work too, which is cool. Teaching split 50;50 bass/guitar, but always prefer bass. I'm slowly converting my function band to dance/disco, the drummer is into it, but the guitarists want to rock out......I'll have to show them some nile rogers!! Glad Charley got a teacher nearer, is he still pursuing upright bass too?
This forum is great, i didn't know about it until i did a search for genz benz.
I'll try and get down to the blues night soon.
Nice to hear from you,
John[/quote]

I just had an email from the promoter that the next bluesnight is sold out.
Charley still does pop club at the Arts centre, but is playing more upright now than bass guitar. He is in the Big band, and Orchestra at Thomas Hardys School.
Glad business is good for you.
Mark.