Why become a member? ×

Quick poll: Rounds or flats on a Fender Jazz?

Clarky

I have flats on my two P-basses but keep umming and aahing over whether to have rounds on my Jazz. I don't slap, flats feel nicer to me, but the Jazz has different tonal characteristics to me that some will probably argue are better suited to the more zingy sound of roundwound strings. So out of interest what do you Fender Jazz players prefer?

Edited by Clarky

I do like flats but I'd say rounds Clarky. Last night I changed the strings on my Shuker Jazz - it had some old Elixirs on that'd got quite hairy but TBH, didn't sound too bad. Anyway, I replaced 'em with my first choice strings - DR Sunbeams and wow, I was in Jazz tone heaven - it really opened up the bass and the highs were really sparkly with well defined lows.

Thank you for your comments gents. I am erring on the side of rounds right now (hence my post t'other day about finding some nice low tension, nickel rounds).

I have D'Addario Chromes on my Jazz right now and it plays nicely with these but was wondering aloud whether I should give rounds a go?

Edited by Clarky

I'm back in J-land after many years in P-land. I've used flats constantly.

My J had rounds on it when it arrived. They lasted one gig. After putting a new set of La Bellas FLs on, I can't think why I'd want to shift across to rounds. Lots of tonal variation, a more focussed tone, and no sizzle. Lovely.

Well broken-in rounds for me Clarky! I love the bite of roundwounds on a Jazz bass, but generally don't like the 'zinginess' of new strings (unless I'm playing stuff by Tool :)). My hands don't really sweat that much when I play, so it takes a fair while before the strings feel dead to me. I can usually get 6-9 month's use out of a set of before needing to change. I also find that I get more bottom out of a worn-in set of strings (a new set only feels 'right' to me after 3/4 long gigs). I nearly always use nickelwounds though- Most stainless steel strings don't feel nearly as good to me under the fingers!