Why become a member? ×

Upgrade Time . . . But To What?

flyfisher

My outfit consists of a Fender P-Bass plus Ampeg SVT-70T combo. I've recently hooked up with a new band and although the Ampeg is fine for rehearsals we're starting to play more regular gigs and I feel that 70W and 1x15 is now being pushed to, and sometimes over, the limit. So time to upgrade.

Because going bigger seems to also mean getting heavier, I'm thinking of a head+cab rig. I'm also thinking two cabs, possibly a 2x10 and 1x15. And I'm thinking of around 300-500W. But, after loads of reading and surfing, that's about as far as I got before my head started spinning.

Unfortunately, money [u]is[/u] an object and I'm wondering if it would be sensible to add a cab to my Ampeg combo first. It's rated at 140W into 4ohms, so would it be sensible to consider a 2x10 cab to run with the Ampeg combo? 140W might be enough for some of the smaller places we play. I could then add a 1x15 later and eventually get a new head.

My final budget is around £500, probably more if I can delay the full outlay by buying a bit at a time, but each bit must be a useful addition to my Ampeg combo - until I have the full new rig of course. I've been looking at Marshall and Ashdown. I've also considered the Hartke VX3500 as it's the right sort of spec (I think) but it's a bit of a beast to lug around, hence my views on two cabs and a head.

I'd really appreciate and comments and advice; I'm sure I'm not the only one to have grappled with this sort of dilemma.

Cheers.

As a first step, I think you're right to add an extension cab, how about a Barefaced Compact. If you go for a good cab you won't need to change it for awhile. A Compact is sensitive so will get the most volume and tone out of your watts and 2 15’s should be good while you’re saving for the amp.

Interesting idea. I'd not seen the Barefaced stuff before. A bit pricey for my budget, although maybe not if it turns out to be adequate with my Ampeg alone.

Can you explain why you think adding a 1x15 cab would be better than adding a 2x10 cab. I've no particular preference, just a vague idea that 2x10 would be more of an 'update', but I could just be falling for fashion perhaps? Would another 15 give a better-matched outfit?

Thanks for the advice.

I think that, for the money, which is around £450 for the Compact, you get a cab which is a cut above most of the competition and way better than Marshall, Ashdown and Hartke (in my opinion). The Compact is very light, powerful and will get you a great tone. There is more information than I can give you on the Barefaced forum and check out their web site. Call Alex and get on to the Compact Tour. Alex has a cab travelling around the country being tried by Basschatters.

[quote name='chris_b' post='612698' date='Sep 30 2009, 01:11 AM']Alex has a cab travelling around the country being tried by Basschatters.[/quote]

Two Compacts and one Big One actually! To find out where they are and where they're going see here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=73"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=73[/url]

Alex

Flyfisher..

Your thinking is ok, IMV but it is probably time to move the Combo on as 140 watts into 4 ohms is still going to limit you in time.
A 15 and 2x10 with a horn is good thinking as those cabs should provide a good range of frequencies should you want them.
And if you go this way, then try and match the cabs.

Or you can go for a combo like a 300w Markbass or Eden and add a 15" ext cab when you need it. These set-ups crop up on here 2nd hand from time to time.

As to the argument about 15's and 10's... you need to see what freq specs the cabs have and more to the point how they work out in practise.

[quote name='JTUK' post='612829' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:57 AM']As to the argument about 15's and 10's... you need to see what freq specs the cabs have...[/quote]

Ha! :) Such specs would be useful if they weren't plucked out of thin air by the marketing department 99% of the time...

[quote name='JTUK' post='612829' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:57 AM']and more to the point how they work out in practise.[/quote]

Exactly!

Alex

Personally I treat all the bluff about certain cabs as just that... a spec sheet is ok but means nothing against my ears.
It is just a starting point, really. Having said that if they said the cab went to 8-10khz, for example,..that would mean more to me than a roll-off of around 3.5-4khz

If you have 300wts into 8ohms and can go to 500 into 4, or thereabouts..volume isn't the thing you should be concerned about.. just turn the amp up a bit more. It is tone and frequecy that should be the arbiter.

whatever you read, hear etc etc ... all might point you in a certain direction, but it is how it sounds to you that is the final consideration.

You are going to have to get out there and demo a few cabs... IMO

[quote name='chris_b' post='612820' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:45 AM']If you can you get to the Bass Bash (just off the M25 near Staines) in two weeks time you should see more top class bass gear than even the Gallery can put it's hands on![/quote]

+1 The gear list that will be there will allow you to hear more bass cabs,amps and combos than going around any of your local or not so local shops (seriously, check out the list of people and what they are bringing!). You will also get to talk at length to the owners and find out if it does what you need.

That makes it worth every penny IMO!!!

On top of this there will be lectures from our very own Alex (Mr Barefaced) on psychoacoustics and bass, and various other luminaries of basschat (I'm really looking forward to hearing what Jakesbass has to say, he is a highly respected member of this forum, pro bassist and by all accounts an exceptional teacher).

If you can drag your self along I think all your questions will be answered.

I personally think the Compact would be a clever move. It will significantly increase your volume (up to a theoretical 6dB which is a lot), but in the long run you are right, that you will need to replace that extremely underpowered combo. The beauty of going the Compact route is that when you are ready you can trade the combo against the head you will replace it with, and the Compact can take a lot of grunt, so you will probably find that trading an underpowered combo for a decent head will mean you end up with a much smaller lighter solution that is easily loud enough. I would suggest looking at Hartke LH500 to eventually pair with the Compact.

Thanks for those comments. Food for thought indeed.

I could be tempted by the Compact on the basis that it might give me the extra volume I'm looking for (actually, being able to wind the amp down a bit) so it might buy me a lot of time before needing to upgrade the amp itself - depending how things work out with the new band. :)

I take the point about trading the Ampeg combo for a new head but I'd like to hang on to it because it's pretty ideal for home use and small venues. I also like its sound, although I sometimes worry if I've just got used to it. I guess it's difficult to know if others like your sound as much as you do.

Fair point about having to demo stuff. I'm not trying to 'select on spec', just trying to decide on a sensible strategy and sort out a shorlist. All comments have been very helpful in this regard.

The Bass Bash sounds very tempting. I'll see what I can do with my diary. If I miss this one, are they a fairly regular event?

Thanks again,
Mike

Edited by flyfisher

• 3 months later...

Just to wrap up this thread, I eventually went for an Ashdown outfit - 115 and 210 mag cabs plus an Evo 300 II head.

I've since played a few gigs and the difference compared to my Ampeg combo has been a great improvement, with no need to crank the volume right up to 'straining point'.

I was planning to sell the Ampeg but now think I'll keep it as a practice amp and for smaller gigs. I've never been very good at getting rid of stuff!