Why become a member? ×

Persevere or move on?

TheBlueFalcon

I wasn't sure where this should go, but it is related to a bass.

Looking to buy a first bass, I gradually decided to spend a bit more, then a bit more (you know how it goes) until I was considering anything up to £500. While trying to decide between an Ibanez SR520 and an SR700 I found a Dealer with an SR900. Although discontinued October 2008, I contacted them for more information. The serial number dated back to January 2007, but I was told that this one was "found" in the warehouse at Ibanez and was offered to the Dealer at a reduced price around 3 months ago. Still being in excellent condition and offered to me at a couldn't-say-no price, I bought it. When I received it, the fretboard was seriously dried out, the Cosmo Black finish on the bridge has permanent marks from not being cleaned regularly and the coating on the Elixir strings is coming off.

I have taken care of the fretboard, the strings can be replaced and the tarnishing on the bridge is something I can live with. However, I have plugged it in to my combo for the first time today and the neck pickup doesn't appear to be working. The first thing I thought of was the battery, but I tried a new one and no difference.

So now to my main question, which I would very much appreciate some advice on. Do I just get them to collect it and put it down to experience, or do I spend the next month (maybe longer) trying to get it sorted out? It's a really nice bass, but where do I draw the line?

If the pickup is faulty and gets replaced, I would then be concerned that the other one might possibly have the same problem in a few months, or even after a year when my warranty is up. If I was to keep the bass, would it be unreasonable to insist that both pickups and the control section be replaced?

Sorry for the long post. :)

Edited by TheBlueFalcon

[quote name='TheBlueFalcon' post='611802' date='Sep 29 2009, 11:59 AM']So now to my main question, which I would very much appreciate some advice on. Do I just get them to collect it and put it down to experience, or do I spend the next month (maybe longer) trying to get it sorted out? It's a really nice bass, but where do I draw the line?[/quote]

Send it back for a refund. It was not meant to be.

S.P.

Only you can say how happy with the bass you could be if it all worked properly. I can't say the picture from here sounds great so I would be trying to get my money back....... but if you ask them to fix the problems you have first and say you want a refund if you aren't satisfied, then that at least gives them a fighting chance to save the deal for all concerned..

I assume you got the bass for a very good price if it came out of the shop, in what sounds like not a very good condition.

I don't think you can insist they replace those parts that are working... so if this is a big concern that you will still have problems in the future.... get your money back..IMO

Yeah, sad to say it sounds like it's more bother than it's worth on that one. I'd not have bothered redoing the fingerboard if I paid money for it and it turned out to be in the state you describe.
Most music shops are very eager to keep your future custom, so go back and kick up a fuss. See what you can guilt them into giving you, it might be more than you imagine if you talk about "the amp you're going to buy next month" etc etc

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It has pretty much confirmed what I thought, but I still have a feeling deep down that I would love to keep it. The current situation leaves me with no choice though, so I've spoken to the Dealer and they are collecting it and refunding me.

They asked if I would still be interested if they sorted it out, which obviously I might be. I suppose it really depends on what the exact problem is, so I'll wait and see.

[quote name='TheBlueFalcon' post='612023' date='Sep 29 2009, 02:35 PM']Thanks to everyone for the advice. It has pretty much confirmed what I thought, but I still have a feeling deep down that I would love to keep it. The current situation leaves me with no choice though, so I've spoken to the Dealer and they are collecting it and refunding me.

They asked if I would still be interested if they sorted it out, which obviously I might be. I suppose it really depends on what the exact problem is, so I'll wait and see.[/quote]

Sounds like the shop is playing fair as you now have both options (refund or fix) so see what they come up with.

[quote name='leschirons' post='612456' date='Sep 29 2009, 08:55 PM']Sounds like the shop is playing fair as you now have both options (refund or fix) so see what they come up with.[/quote]

It appears that way, but I keep wondering why a dealer with 25 years experience (that has a full-time technician) would send out a guitar with such an obvious fault. I would also expect them to have picked up on the sorry state of the fretboard and done something about it, especially as it's so easy to do.