Why become a member? ×

Using different strings..

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks

I'm having a problem finding the right set of strings to use with my Roscoe Beck V at the moment. I've been using EBS Northern Lights (.45-.128) but they don't seem to suit this RBV like they did on the last RBV I had for some reason.. On the last RBV, the B string was nice and solid; on this one (using the same make & gauge of strings), it's not so good... After playing around with string height, pick up height etc, I've come to the conclusion that it must be the strings.

I tried some Sandberg strings and they were not a good match either, so I'm just wondering how much difference string make, type gauge etc makes to the sound and playability of a bass?

Nik

Not sure why you think it must be the strings unless you have heard that bass sound great with the B string before.

Personally, I can't chop and change between make and guages and I would expect any new string to sound ok... It might not feel the best..but sound-wise it should give a good defintion. If it didn't, I'd be looking at the fact that the B on that bass isn't so great and there is only so much you can do in set-up to compensate...

I accept that QA is so much better than it used to be but that doesn't mean you can't get these problems any more...

I am also assuming the main problem is the sound..?

[quote name='JTUK' post='611824' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:19 PM']Not sure why you think it must be the strings unless you have heard that bass sound great with the B string before.

Personally, I can't chop and change between make and guages and I would expect any new string to sound ok... It might not feel the best..but sound-wise it should give a good defintion. If it didn't, I'd be looking at the fact that the B on that bass isn't so great and there is only so much you can do in set-up to compensate...

I accept that QA is so much better than it used to be but that doesn't mean you can't get these problems any more...

I am also assuming the main problem is the sound..?[/quote]
Thanks for the reply..

It's a number of things actually.. When I got this new RBV, I tried an old B string on it that I had lying around (which I don't know the make of because it came on another long-since-gone 5 string I had) and it sounded very solid & clear and stayed in tune.. However, it was very dead sounding so I put on a new set of EBS strings only to discover the B string didn't sound so good...

Then tried a new B string from another EBS set and that was better, but even so, it's still not as good as that old B string I tried originally and not as good as the EBS strings on my other RBV (sorry this is so long winded an explanation)..

Sometimes, string quality does vary so it could be that and I've also wondered if it might be things like the way the B string sits in the saddle on the bridge or across the nut?

But I might try some completely different strings now and see what happens, starting with some Newtone ones..

Nik,

Not sure what you mean by playability.....? you appear to have two issues (unless I'm mistaken).

1. Tension.

2. Tone.

So both of these will vary widely with differing strings and even differing gauges of the same string. Have you tried it in the std set up that Fender recommend or that they come supplied with?

That's a good starting point (use the same gauge initially and different makes) and work from there using your experience of the kind of tone that you want from it to select the strings. Then when you have the make and type of string you want then start approaching differing gauges to get one that suits both your tone requirement and feel.

Trying to change all in one go gives way to many variables to illicit a plan of what's changed and how its affected your playing.

If that helps, that's how I approached my PRSs and it worked for me.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='613266' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:55 PM']Nik,

Not sure what you mean by playability.....? you appear to have two issues (unless I'm mistaken).

1. Tension.

2. Tone.

So both of these will vary widely with differing strings and even differing gauges of the same string. Have you tried it in the std set up that Fender recommend or that they come supplied with?

That's a good starting point (use the same gauge initially and different makes) and work from there using your experience of the kind of tone that you want from it to select the strings. Then when you have the make and type of string you want then start approaching differing gauges to get one that suits both your tone requirement and feel.

Trying to change all in one go gives way to many variables to illicit a plan of what's changed and how its affected your playing.

If that helps, that's how I approached my PRSs and it worked for me.[/quote]
Thanks Bob; that makes a lot of sense..

Good question about what exactly do I mean by 'playability'?? Well, to me it simply means the way a bass feels when you play it..

For example, I've tried 2 different makes of strings before on a bass and though they're the same gauge, the feel of the bass is radically different due to the different string types.. Why that is I don't know??

Hope that makes sense...

Nik

[quote name='The Burpster' post='614043' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:57 PM']Nik,

Yes it does make sense, and whilst it is only very slight and subtle differences, tensions may vary and this is why we have to set up (or at least check it ) whenever we change string makes or gauges.[/quote]
Thanks; at least I'm not going mad then... :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='615276' date='Oct 2 2009, 09:39 PM']Thanks; at least I'm not going mad then... :)[/quote]

No, far from it. In fact it often makes me wonder on here when folks are on about changing their 'sound' or 'tone', how much of it could be done by careful and strategically changing strings.

Certainly in my limited experience you can make considerable and noticeable changes with very subtle changes here and there. I now only make one small change at a time and let it settle before moving to alter others......

[quote name='The Burpster' post='615568' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:56 AM']No, far from it. In fact it often makes me wonder on here when folks are on about changing their 'sound' or 'tone', how much of it could be done by careful and strategically changing strings.

Certainly in my limited experience you can make considerable and noticeable changes with very subtle changes here and there. I now only make one small change at a time and let it settle before moving to alter others......[/quote]
Hi Bob,

Amazingly, with your encouragement I have managed to solve it!! Thinking about what you'd said, I decided to set the bass up from scratch, checking each string's intonation and action as well as looking at the pick up height as well...

And whilst doing that I noticed that the Gotoh bridge on the RBVs has an extra adjustment that you can make which allows you to tweak the string spacing.

So I looked at each string and noticed that the B-string was out of line as it it crossed over the saddle and down into the hole that goes throgh the body of the bass! Which in effect meant it had quite a twist to it, causing it to sound quite vague and not intonate properly.

Having straightened it up it now sounds really distinct and clear and is in tune right up the neck, so I'm really happy!! Thanks for the help...

Nik

for me different strings are

flats
rounds
half rounds
coateds
nickels
stainless...:)

beyond that apart from the gauge and core parameters find most makes fit in just as well as any other
having tried a few i have settled on TI rounds and jazz and elixir for a good lasting string with a played in feel out of the packet

[quote name='The Burpster' post='615568' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:56 AM']No, far from it. In fact it often makes me wonder on here when folks are on about changing their 'sound' or 'tone', how much of it could be done by careful and strategically changing strings.[/quote]

I'v come to realise that this really is a much bigger factor than many people think. Change your brand of strings, change your sound. At least IME.

[quote name='4000' post='616500' date='Oct 4 2009, 02:57 PM']I'v come to realise that this really is a much bigger factor than many people think. Change your brand of strings, change your sound. At least IME.[/quote]
+1 on that - probably the biggest single factor in your sound. The problem is there's not that much information available for actually comparing like for like - after all, how can you describe a subtle difference in a sound, let alone a feel? People get put off 'cos you're looking at anything from 25 to 50 quid for a set, allot to lay out if you end up not liking them.
Maybe we should start a database with easy to use parameters describing brightness, depth, smoothness, tension etc. on a 1 to 10 scale or suchlike. At least it will give a starting point for anyone looking for a change.

[quote name='henry norton' post='616526' date='Oct 4 2009, 02:30 PM']+1 on that - probably the biggest single factor in your sound. The problem is there's not that much information available for actually comparing like for like - after all, how can you describe a subtle difference in a sound, let alone a feel? People get put off 'cos you're looking at anything from 25 to 50 quid for a set, allot to lay out if you end up not liking them.
Maybe we should start a database with easy to use parameters describing brightness, depth, smoothness, tension etc. on a 1 to 10 scale or suchlike. At least it will give a starting point for anyone looking for a change.[/quote]
Sounds like a plan.... :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='616526' date='Oct 4 2009, 02:30 PM']Maybe we should start a database with easy to use parameters describing brightness, depth, smoothness, tension etc. on a 1 to 10 scale or suchlike. At least it will give a starting point for anyone looking for a change.[/quote]

While that is a great idea its also frought with problems, i.e. my dull - brite - very brite may vary from say Niks or yours.... My lovely tension (considering I only use flats) would probably rank amongst some others as unplayable.... :)

Now were there an industry std by which all things could be measured, that would be a great help......

[quote name='The Burpster' post='616590' date='Oct 4 2009, 05:40 PM']While that is a great idea its also frought with problems, i.e. my dull - brite - very brite may vary from say Niks or yours.... My lovely tension (considering I only use flats) would probably rank amongst some others as unplayable.... :)

Now were there an industry std by which all things could be measured, that would be a great help......[/quote]
Yes but a database would at least go some way to showing your average bass player the differences. Having a base point to start with would be a help - say Rotosound swing bass and whatever the most popular flat is. It would probably be impossible to apply an industry standard because all the manufacturers want us to think their strings are better than everybody else's.

[quote name='4000' post='616500' date='Oct 4 2009, 01:57 PM']I'v come to realise that this really is a much bigger factor than many people think. Change your brand of strings, change your sound. At least IME.[/quote]

Absolutely.
Swapped the original (Fender) Strings on my Jazz for Fender 7150 Nickels, which were superbly comfortable and had a suitably warm and smooth sound.
At the last change, I moved over to DR Sunbeams, using the same gauge as the Fender (40-100)
What a difference! The Jazz is now a monster (?!) Much higher output - sounds more like I've changed the pick-ups for overwound ones! Even better tension and playability, thanks to the round cores.
Other string favourites include Elixir, DR Fatbeams and Elites (as a cheapo alternative)