Why become a member? ×

Bass Choice

Willmill_77

Dear all,

I'm in the market for a bass in the region of up to £1200 - £1300.

I'm looking for an instrument which has a woody tone and is suitably versatile for jazz ratherthan full on mosh!

I've triedthe Fender American Delux Jazz and lieked it as well as sadowsky too (exPensive) but heard good thingS about the Warwick Infinity?

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

For that money, you should get a very very good bass if you look around.

I'd start at Lakland and work upwards.

Wouldn't rule out buying 2nd hand either...but I think you need to do some research so you know exactly what you like.
Warwicks and Fenders are two completley different beasts..IMO

With that kind of budget, a lot of options open up (but remember, you don't have to spend all the money!)

I'd certainly be thinking of a high-end used bass and looking carefully through the ads in the marketplace here on Basschat. If you like the (Fender-type) Jazz look, feel, tone etc., it might be worth looking at some of the Super Js that are around - these come up on Basshchat very frequently. My own preference in the price band is Sei - it's not unlikely that you'd pick-up a Sei Jazz 4 or 5 string for between £900 and £1200. Alternatives could be Sandberg, Nordy, Sadowsky Metro, Low-End and many others. With the circuits and pick-ups in some of the Super Js, you should get a fairly versatile bass. It's not really easy to define 'woody' (or to interpret) but I suspect you're looking for a highly resonant instrument with a reasonably mellow, warm, traditional tone - any of the brands listed above should be able to provide this (and a much more modern tone if required). Good luck - you're in the right place and I'm sure you'll be offered plenty of advice. One last thing, I suspect you're a reasonably experienced player (given the budget), however, I'd save a bit of cash for some decent strings and a really good set-up - I've seen very average basses brought to life by a good luthier

I'm not sure where you are based but personally I'd invest in some time and a train ticket to The Gallery (or other suitably equipped shop) and spend some time there getting an idea of what feels and sounds good to you.
You have a good budget and it might surprise you with what you end up with:)

As for me, and after a bit of experimenting, I'm more than happy with my Lakland DJ4. Not the most expensive Jazz I've ever owned but the right one for me.
Cheers, FP