Why become a member? ×

Nottingham Drum & Guitar Centre

pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='612239' date='Sep 29 2009, 05:32 PM']All the 5 string sets are EB's as are the Flat wounds (yes they do have some in stock, but only Med gauge and only 4 string sets).[/quote]

They sold me some Fender flats, heavy gauge, a couple of weeks back as that was all they could find in stock :)

FWIW they were much better strings than I'd expected.

I'll make sure I visit on a Saturday morning from now on!

I tried a set of the Hartke 45-105 they had in stock and was pleasantly surprised at how good they were for the low price so I've been back and got a 3 pack set for £30. never found it a particularly bass friendly shop, most of them are too far out of reach to even get one down for a closer look. I asked for a price on a shine violin bass out of curiosity, gave an email address. Still waiting...

Good on ya Shep....
Well done on the new role.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='611576' date='Sep 29 2009, 07:05 AM']Hey people,

For any of you that have visited Nottingham Guitar & Drum Centre you will know it has a great range of low - mid priced basses (one of the largest for miles) and a workforce with a reputation for great customer service... And absolutely NO knowledge about bass at all!

This is my 'local' store, but I was getting sick of picking up a nice bass to find out it has been set up by someone who has no clue.

So what did I do?

I took a punt that something might change and confronted the owners, Dave & Andy about the way they handle there bass stock, both of which admit the stock is not tendered too as it should be, and that none of the staff can set up a bass. At the end of the rant and lecture they offered me a job!

So... As of this Saturday I can be located at the store as the 'resident bass expert'. As I work full time plus some already I will just be doing 4 hours 10 - 2 for the time being, taking time to go through the entire bass stock, one by one, setting up, cleaning and generally making thier bass range more playable. They will be looking to me to advise them on where to go with the stock and so I expect to be selling through the older items in the near future.

If any Basschatters are in the Nottingham area on Sarurday mornings, it would be cool to put names to faces etc. Bring a bass down... There's some nice SWR Working Pro rigs that need a real test!!

If your about pop in and ask for Shep![/quote]

Just got home from the first shift. The last Corvette has had a full overhaul and set up. It now plays very well. It is in need of some new strings, but Andy assures me that any buyer can have a set of there choice if they take it. It sounds damn nice through the SWR rig.

The whole of the bass stock had been moved around. For anyone that has been before you will recall that anything but a Squire/Fender Jazz of P was a nightmare to reach. Now the nice Aria's and the whole Ibanez range are within reach. Good times.

Next Saturday the rather nice G&L Tribute L2000 will be getting stripped and set up. It's pots crackle no matter what you do and the strings are a mile off the fretboard... Looking forward to it playing right. In fact I may be the person to buy it because it's bloody gorgeous.

Good times

[quote name='budget bassist' post='616170' date='Oct 4 2009, 01:59 AM']I came in today about 3:15 but you had buggered off home! ah well.
And that G&L is nice right??!! I've been lusting after it for a while, but having already owned one, i won't be having another, not that i don't like them, just i prefer my corvette :)[/quote]If your coming in again this week, I'll be there 11-3... Stripping and sorting out that G&L.. Then trying to avoid buying it ;-)

[quote name='KevB' post='620529' date='Oct 8 2009, 01:29 PM']I'm in town briefly this Sat morning, I'll try to pop in if I can. Not been in often so I never even noticed a G&L. If my next selling deal comes off I might have some spare cash to chuck about.[/quote]
Awesome, I'm there from 11. If the G&L plays as nice as it looks after the weekend I'll fight you for it ;-)

Is the G&D centre the one at the bottom of Hockley? Where sound control was? I think that's the same place as I got my Stingray and Ashdown rig from. Or maybe I'm confusing it with somewhere else. I'm not as familiar with Nottm as I should be.

Fuzz is a good shop, went in there not long ago, very reasonable prices, some top equipment in there.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='622492' date='Oct 10 2009, 03:49 PM']Cheers to Tim, Mike and Kev for popping in today and saying hi etc. Was cool to put some faces to names. A special thanks to Tim for keeping me well past my finishing time ;-)[/quote]

:)

I just couldn't get enough of that SWR Workingman Pro rig and the white Jazz!

Thanks for the hospitality, the shop have done themselves a service in employing you Shep!

There are two multi-story carparks around hockley just up the road, one on Fletcher Gate, one on Stoney Street. They are a few minutes walk away, but tend to get busy after 11. There are others a little further away, like Vic Centre as well. Around the lace Market there are a number of roadside parking spaces but actually getting one is pot luck!