Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

POD X3 for Bass - Demo on YT

xilddx

Hmmm... Seems technically interesting, but I don't know how much of that you'd actually use if you had a really good bass and amp in the first place.

I've got the BassPod XT Live & I only really use about three of the sounds on it. And that's mostly studio amp modelling or the tube preamp setting. And then again, it's only when I'm playing a passive bass. The active basses don't need any effects. They all sound amazing as they are :)

Yeah I only use a couple of models at the most, the ampeg and the Sub Dub pre, with a little compression. BUT, I use a fair few effects on some of the songs I play live and being able to have stereo chorus, flangers, delays, synth type sounds, with great distortion models, etc. is so useful for me. I use the volume pedal a lot too.

I suppose really wanted opinions on the quality of the core tones, personally I doubt anyone could really tell the difference between them and a real amp and cab, especially in a full band setting. Very subjective though, I didn't really like many of the tones in that video.

I use the GX USB interface which is the little brother version intended primarily for home use with everything controlled via my laptop. It is a very useful and interesting bit of kit for recording and experimenting with new sounds. One aspect of the GX is that you can have 2 completely different setups and then either blend them as a stereo output or send each one to either the left or right channel.

I use it as a composing tool along with Riff Works. The compressors are excellent as are the effects. One thing I have noticed is that the GX sounds so much better hooked up to my Hi-Fi than it does through a bass amp. It sound very hollow through a bass amp but has a CD quality sound through my Sony amp and Castle Speakers. The latency is almost non existent.

I would suggest buying the GX which is only about £60.00 with some bundled software before going the whole hog and getting the Live pedal.

[quote name='silddx' post='609405' date='Sep 26 2009, 05:27 PM']Yeah I only use a couple of models at the most, the ampeg and the Sub Dub pre, with a little compression. BUT, I use a fair few effects on some of the songs I play live and being able to have stereo chorus, flangers, delays, synth type sounds, with great distortion models, etc. is so useful for me. I use the volume pedal a lot too.

I suppose really wanted opinions on the quality of the core tones, personally I doubt anyone could really tell the difference between them and a real amp and cab, especially in a full band setting. Very subjective though, I didn't really like many of the tones in that video.[/quote]

Had a look at that the other day. Saw you had one via your sig and was intrigued. I liked it and was impressed by the sheer amount of sounds you can get out of it. Never really sure what to make of something I hear over YT as it gets pumped through my computers crappy speakers. But you can't not be impressed.

Edited by RichB

I think it comes down to what you want the unit (or effects in general ) for. Effects are fun in the bedroom :)
On the you tube clip ,I thought they all sounded good except for the second setting where to my ears there
was too much of a scrapey sound.

I have a toneport gx which goes into my mac and monitors. That's great . Bundles of fun,tho' I haven't got riffworks yet.

However,I have an Aguilar setup at the moment (haven't sold the eden combo yet either) By having this, I don't
think I'd need to imitate a vintage amp when the setup I have is sufficient in a band situation.

I have a V-AMP PRO ,which altho' isn't in the same league as line6 does a similar job.
I very rarely use it,as I want minimal complications in a band situation.

Maybe it's me ,but I find it difficult to get a level which is the same for straight bass and effects.

The BassPOD (Mk1) was the mainstay of my live sound for years; that Skate Park tone was pretty much what I used all the time, but as time went on I bought a hotter amp that obviated the necessity of using a POD.

I'm no purist, I love Line6 stuff, but right now I'm in a happy place with just an amp and cabinets.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='609613' date='Sep 26 2009, 09:10 PM']The BassPOD (Mk1) was the mainstay of my live sound for years; that Skate Park tone was pretty much what I used all the time, but as time went on I bought a hotter amp that obviated the necessity of using a POD.

I'm no purist, I love Line6 stuff, but right now I'm in a happy place with just an amp and cabinets.

P[/quote]

I suppose it was the sheer practicality for me. I used to be a bit up my own arse about valve tone. But I hate carting amps about, and all the sh*t you get with sound engineers. So basically the POD offered me a plug and play solution, sound guy just has to make minor adjustments for the room, no stage overspill from an cabinet either. I just double DI into the desk, pan hard left and right, not much else for the sound guy to do apart from levels. Plus, with Kit's band, I may be playing some guitar live while she takes care of the bass on the keys, so I set up the relevant patches, plug in the guitar, no problem.

Don't get me wrong, I was actually considering this unit (the X3) some time back, but at the time Line6 hadn't released the unit (in the US or UK for that matter), so my interest just stalled and I went with my Tech21 head. I guess this should be a lesson to all manufacturers; don't whet people's appetite with equipment specs when it's not going to arrive for a year.

As I hit my mid-40s I finally came to realise that waiting a year for something to arrive chops a big chunk off the time I have left on the planet. Can't sit around with my thumb up my ass waiting for the corporation to release product. Buy now, worry later.

P

[quote name='silddx' post='609629' date='Sep 26 2009, 09:32 PM']I suppose it was the sheer practicality for me. I used to be a bit up my own arse about valve tone. But I hate carting amps about, and all the sh*t you get with sound engineers. So basically the POD offered me a plug and play solution, sound guy just has to make minor adjustments for the room, no stage overspill from an cabinet either. I just double DI into the desk, pan hard left and right, not much else for the sound guy to do apart from levels. Plus, with Kit's band, I may be playing some guitar live while she takes care of the bass on the keys, so I set up the relevant patches, plug in the guitar, no problem.[/quote]