Why become a member? ×

Electra Ric Copy SOLD PENDING...

dangerboy

First in my massive bass clearout...

From Electra (as far as I know): A bolt-on copy of a famous (ho ho) bass made in Japan in the 70s.. Maple top on a mahogany (I think) body. Maple neck with black 'sharkstooth' markers printed on (not inlayed). When I bought this it had weird pickups (a Tele pickup, for instance), so I put in the pickups from a CMI Ric copy. One mono output jack.

NOW HAS BACK PICKUP FROM A CMI AND A MODERN FRONT REPLICA OF ITS ORIGINAL FRONT PICKUP.

£240 plus postage? You get to choose your own postage, which will be charged at cost. I have a hardcase for this so it'll be safe in the post to you. Or you can pick it up from London for nowt.

Loads more pics if you want them.

NOW CHEAPER - SEE LAST POST

Edited by dangerboy

Nice - this is a Fujigen Gakki bass, same as the early Ibanez Rick copies, apart from the more individual finish. I know a guy in the US who collects Electra copies & he has at least one the same as this, so I'm 99.9% sure it is an Electra. Very unusual to see one over here - Electras were never officially imported into the UK.

Don't think it's a Rick bridge, unfortunately - yours has chrome saddles, they're always unplated alloy on the real deal. The other way to tell is the holes the strings pass through behind the saddles - they're oval on real ones, round on copies. Irrelevant, really - the copy bridges are functionally identical - and actually seem a lot less prone to bending under string tension (the dreaded "tail-lift") than the real thing!

Jon.

I knew it was too good to be true.

So listing up top should read:

"Nicer (still not real) bridge fitted. You can have the original too if you are into that kind of thing".

Cheers Jon!

(This bass sounds ace btw. Only selling because 2 Ric copies in my living room is one too many!)

[quote name='Bassassin' date='Sep 24 2007, 10:31 PM' post='65047']
Nice - this is a Fujigen Gakki bass, same as the early Ibanez Rick copies, apart from the more individual finish. I know a guy in the US who collects Electra copies & he has at least one the same as this, so I'm 99.9% sure it is an Electra. Very unusual to see one over here - Electras were never officially imported into the UK.

Don't think it's a Rick bridge, unfortunately - yours has chrome saddles, they're always unplated alloy on the real deal. The other way to tell is the holes the strings pass through behind the saddles - they're oval on real ones, round on copies. Irrelevant, really - the copy bridges are functionally identical - and actually seem a lot less prone to bending under string tension (the dreaded "tail-lift") than the real thing!

Jon.

MB1. :huh:

fujigen Gakki try saying that when youre pissed! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is back up for sale now I've fixed a few issues it had. I put the original front pickup back in, but it sounded AWFUL, so I've sourced a matching modern pickup. Sounds sweet now. I've also changed the nut, because I noticed that the original was held together with epoxy.

Price is down to £210 plus shipping.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='134096' date='Feb 5 2008, 08:53 AM']Get this Joe, and you're one up on me! Nearly bought a Shaftesbury Ric-a-like ages ago and wish I had. This one's very Lemmy, I like it :)[/quote]

Hehe, not sure if it would quite match your RD. So wish I could afford this, would stick a black scratchplate and truss rod cover on and be very happy indeed.