Why become a member? ×

Matamp GT200 vs. Hiwatt custom 200?

Anders

[quote name='Anders' post='603829' date='Sep 20 2009, 07:06 PM']Has anyone tried both the Matamp GT200 and Hiwatt custom 200 heads and can tell about the sound?
I have just ordered a Matamp GT200 and i'm waiting to hear it.[/quote]

Im sure there are many fans of both on basschat.

You will really like the Matamp....no doubt about it.

Im also VERY curious about the Hiwatts....Ive heard many good things about their high end amps.

Welcome to the brotherhood :)

I played a Hiwatt 400 and thought it was lovely... very smooth valve sound with LOADS of headroom

I then played a GT200 and was blown away by it's ability to do the velvety smooth valve tone and also by rotating the DRIVE dial 3 notches you get an amazing overdriven gritty valve tone with stacks of character and headroom.... needless to say I plumbed for the Matamp

You will love it

[quote name='Monz' post='603840' date='Sep 20 2009, 07:17 PM']Welcome to the brotherhood :)

I played a Hiwatt 400 and thought it was lovely... very smooth valve sound with LOADS of headroom

I then played a GT200 and was blown away by it's ability to do the velvety smooth valve tone and also by rotating the DRIVE dial 3 notches you get an amazing overdriven gritty valve tone with stacks of character and headroom.... needless to say I plumbed for the Matamp

You will love it[/quote]

+1

TBH, unless you are Metallica, as with my Orange as well, 200W tube is perfect. Fat smooth and velvety, then all out grind if you want it....without it being STUPID volume levels.

The GT200 is still REALLLLLLLY loud...

Some players like the ability to have more dirt at lower levels.

Thanks for the input Monz and Musicman20!
Good!
I haven't really tried the Hiwatt head but i have read about some guys owning both such a head and Orange MK1.They say that they sound similar,not very different in sound or output.
The reason i went for the Matamp was that it's PTP wireing,supposed to have great components (outboard transformers and so on),weighs a little less than Hiwatt 200 and is cheaper too.
The thing is that i have tried the Orange MK3 and thought the sound was great but it was (distorting?what's the word in English)breaking up very early.It was just a tad louder than my other head Ampeg V4bh of 100w.
So the Orange MK1 would be great but they are reeealy hard to find,so,the option was Hiwatt 200,but i bought the Matamp instead.
When i talked to Jeff at Matamp on the phone he went on and on about how the Matamp delivers 200w rms clean sound,then the distortion kicks in.But can also be dialed in so the distortion starts earlier if you want.(like you said Monz)
I can't wait ....

[quote name='Anders' post='604027' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:06 PM']Thanks for the input Monz and Musicman20!
Good!
I haven't really tried the Hiwatt head but i have read about some guys owning both such a head and Orange MK1.They say that they sound similar,not very different in sound or output.
The reason i went for the Matamp was that it's PTP wireing,supposed to have great components (outboard transformers and so on),weighs a little less than Hiwatt 200 and is cheaper too.
The thing is that i have tried the Orange MK3 and thought the sound was great but it was (distorting?what's the word in English)breaking up very early.It was just a tad louder than my other head Ampeg V4bh of 100w.
So the Orange MK1 would be great but they are reeealy hard to find,so,the option was Hiwatt 200,but i bought the Matamp instead.
When i talked to Jeff at Matamp on the phone he went on and on about how the Matamp delivers 200w rms clean sound,then the distortion kicks in.But can also be dialed in so the distortion starts earlier if you want.(like you said Monz)
I can't wait ....[/quote]

The Orange is a very dirty amp...suits passive style basses really well. Works well with my Stingrays as well, but the P bass is where it shines. A total powerhouse. Ive played 600W solid state amps before a few times and this thing just has so much more. Ive no idea how tube amps sound THAT much more massive, but they do.

Enjoy...and get some pics!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='604030' date='Sep 20 2009, 11:10 PM']The Orange is a very dirty amp...suits passive style basses really well. Works well with my Stingrays as well, but the P bass is where it shines. A total powerhouse. Ive played 600W solid state amps before a few times and this thing just has so much more. Ive no idea how tube amps sound THAT much more massive, but they do.

Enjoy...and get some pics![/quote]
I will get pictures.
I have a p-bass too,by the way.Fender std 5 with a Nordstrand j-bass pickup in bridge pos.
I agree with you,the Orange sound great with it.

My GT200 is putting out 200W clean and well into the 300s running dirty... rest assured unless you play for a noisy EMO band :) 200W clean is enough to send the front ten rows of the audience home with tinitus

* They measure it on a oh-silly-scope at Matamp and admit it's not a perfect measurement but it's close enough

PS where are you from? Not the UK I guess

[quote name='Monz' post='604101' date='Sep 20 2009, 11:57 PM']My GT200 is putting out 200W clean and well into the 300s running dirty... rest assured unless you play for a noisy EMO band :rolleyes: 200W clean is enough to send the front ten rows of the audience home with tinitus

* They measure it on a oh-silly-scope at Matamp and admit it's not a perfect measurement but it's close enough

PS where are you from? Not the UK I guess[/quote]
Good to hear about the tinitus-effect :)
I'm from the Gothenburg-area (Lerum)in southwestern part of Sweden.

[quote name='Monz' post='604101' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:57 PM']My GT200 is putting out 200W clean and well into the 300s running dirty... rest assured unless you play for a noisy EMO band :rolleyes: 200W clean is enough to send the front ten rows of the audience home with tinitus

PS where are you from? Not the UK I guess[/quote]

Bah it's only on my recommendation he's gone for the Matamp :)

FYI Matamp build all the custom shop stuff for Hiwatt :lol:

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='604219' date='Sep 21 2009, 09:34 AM']Bah it's only on my recommendation he's gone for the Matamp :)

FYI Matamp build all the custom shop stuff for Hiwatt :rolleyes:[/quote]
That's actually more or less true it's on your recommendation.Thanks a bunch!
I was hopefully going to thank you later when i get the amp,and hear it,but i'm really gratefull for your recommendation.

I'm not surprised they build for Hiwatt too.

You love it, Monz was there today and Jeff said someone from BC was enquiring and knew us both. I'm going to call him today about a 2x12 cab they are stunning for people that want a loud sound in a tiny package and for £399 that I think he charges for them there is nothing out there as good, as cheap. Also (I'd have to check with Monz) but I think he said something about offer 10% off for Basschatters, defo on that 2x12.

Bring the Matamp love, now to just buy that pesky GT200 head

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='604571' date='Sep 21 2009, 02:23 PM']You love it, Monz was there today and Jeff said someone from BC was enquiring and knew us both. I'm going to call him today about a 2x12 cab they are stunning for people that want a loud sound in a tiny package and for £399 that I think he charges for them there is nothing out there as good, as cheap. Also (I'd have to check with Monz) but I think he said something about offer 10% off for Basschatters, defo on that 2x12.

Bring the Matamp love, now to just buy that pesky GT200 head[/quote]
That was me. He Said about Monz and then suggested a i contact Steve Taylor from BC. I said i know Steve Taylor :) I

asked about a 212 but he was reluctant to quote me a price but for £400 that's just silly!

How much were the 410?

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='604583' date='Sep 21 2009, 02:35 PM']Anyone looking or considering should check this thread out

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57336"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57336[/url][/quote]
that was what got me started :) :rolleyes:

410 is 549 or something and 8x10 is 999 but there are discounts to be had if you are buying head and cab at the same time.

Also while I think my heavy 4x10 sounds best, Monz's are light half the weight and sound amazing and tbh if you order you'll get a Monz 4x10 not a Tayste one as Jeff doesn't know what he put in mine and I won't let him open it because the pixie dust will escape.

[quote name='drthirkenstein' post='604965' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:58 PM']oh i dunno

i have a gt 200 and matching 2,400 watt matamp 810

and i'd say that it doesnt really have that much clean headroom. however i borrowed my friends svt classic the other day at practice and thought it sounded totally sh*t compared to the matamp so i must like it!

the best solution would probably be to get another gt200 or a slave and have the cab re-wired into two 410s...but then again thats silly money. i'm thinking of getting one of them warwick x-tremes or something similar and using that to power the bottom 4 speakers sort of like a sub.

The clean tone IS beautiful; it's just that if you're going up against guitarists running 100watters flat out into 412s it doesnt have the power. But once you get over it and embrace the dirt of cranking the gt200 you will love it. That is what its made for.

no pedals, just a musicman into an overdriven gt200 and it gives an awesome sound.[/quote]

Like the sound of this!

Even though im on the dark side....Orange....I get a very similar experience. Creamy and fat clean, but the dirt is what makes it so special.

[quote name='drthirkenstein' post='604965' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:58 PM']oh i dunno

i have a gt 200 and matching 2,400 watt matamp 810

and i'd say that it doesnt really have that much clean headroom. however i borrowed my friends svt classic the other day at practice and thought it sounded totally sh*t compared to the matamp so i must like it!

the best solution would probably be to get another gt200 or a slave and have the cab re-wired into two 410s...but then again thats silly money. i'm thinking of getting one of them warwick x-tremes or something similar and using that to power the bottom 4 speakers sort of like a sub.

The clean tone IS beautiful; it's just that if you're going up against guitarists running 100watters flat out into 412s it doesnt have the power. But once you get over it and embrace the dirt of cranking the gt200 you will love it. That is what its made for.

no pedals, just a musicman into an overdriven gt200 and it gives an awesome sound.[/quote]

I think you'll be sorely disappointed with a Warwick head, Matamp just tweaked Monz's preamp so it stays cleaner for longer, I'll report back when I try it and see if it give much more umph.

Cheers

[quote name='drthirkenstein' post='605209' date='Sep 22 2009, 12:51 AM']was just thinking although i hate to say it there are advantages to big solid state amps, just basically unlimited clean head room and loads of sub, so using one as well as the matamp you'd hopefully get the best of both. thing with valve amps being theres only so much low end you can add before its just all distortion.[/quote]

Can I ask you what valves you have in your pre-amp as I now have 2 '81s in there and mine does not properly distort until I dial the last click of drive in. We also spent a couple of hours with my amp on the testbed playing with the controls while it was hooked up to the sillyscope finding where the maximum clean sound was and found the presence has a marked effect on power output and where the signal starts to square off, the optimum setting being around the 2 o'clock region. I know this all depends on what goes into the input but it was still 200W clean on a mid frequency and 150W clean at 40htz.

PS Love the Harry Patton track

Edited by Monz

I'm going to call Jeff today about making a Matamp preamp as now I have 2 Strategy 400's I think I could get a better tone out of Matamp in to 2 400w all tube power sections than the 400+ slaved into a strategy 400, gives me roughly the same power.

So Matamp tone, Mesa power for those days when only 800w all tube will do :)