Why become a member? ×

Matamp GT200 vs. Hiwatt custom 200?

Anders

[quote name='drthirkenstein' post='605209' date='Sep 22 2009, 12:51 AM']was just thinking although i hate to say it there are advantages to big solid state amps, just basically unlimited clean head room and loads of sub, so using one as well as the matamp you'd hopefully get the best of both. thing with valve amps being theres only so much low end you can add before its just all distortion.[/quote]

I don't agree since most tube amps tone comes from the power tubes, by simply pumping the preamp into a SS poweramp I think you lose that harmonic depth that comes from the head.

But then again I've got some tube power amps so I'm bias'd

Also Jeff does agree with you, and I'd believe it more if there were a small power tube in there with a dummy load and then it fed into the poweramp.

If they made a 1u preamp that had awesome drive on it, I'd sell my SVP for one of them in a heartbeat.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='605296' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:30 AM']I'm going to call Jeff today about making a Matamp preamp as now I have 2 Strategy 400's I think I could get a better tone out of Matamp in to 2 400w all tube power sections than the 400+ slaved into a strategy 400, gives me roughly the same power.

So Matamp tone, Mesa power for those days when only 800w all tube will do :)[/quote]

[quote name='Finbar' post='605705' date='Sep 22 2009, 03:49 PM']If they made a 1u preamp that had awesome drive on it, I'd sell my SVP for one of them in a heartbeat.[/quote]

Yeah that's what I'm hoping, he didn't seem confident that it would be 1u as the tubes would have to be on their side he didn't like this idea, I'll just email him a crap load of tube amps that do that, like ampeg, alembic, kern etc :)

What sounded a bit more interesting was that the prototype preamp is in a pedal format

If it was chrome and had a 2 year waiting list me and Toasted would be all over that :rolleyes:

[quote name='nash' post='605721' date='Sep 22 2009, 03:58 PM']what's wrong with a 2U?[/quote]

Cos he was talking about 3u, which is sort of acceptable for me with a whopping big rack that takes 4 poeple to lift, but yeah 1-2u would be better.

Looking at the Alembic to tide me over sort of a super fender tone stack like my Mesa's but Stereo for added fun with the Strategies

[quote name='Finbar' post='605726' date='Sep 22 2009, 04:00 PM']I want to replace like for like with my SVP for another 1u preamp. Don't want to buy bigger rack! I'd far rather have it as a 1u than a pedal though.[/quote]

What if it had 200 blue led's huh? then you'd want it in a pedal, huh?

Man work is boring today.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='605732' date='Sep 22 2009, 03:03 PM']What if it had 200 blue led's huh? then you'd want it in a pedal, huh?

Man work is boring today.[/quote]

3U is mental!
tayste i think you should ditch your 4x10 and get another 8x10 for running both those strategy's. have you got them both in the same rack?

Yeah the idea crossed my mind, but 2 Strategies would actually be able to run 4 8x10's and my 400+ another 2

In the rack currently is the 400+ and Strategy 400 until I sort out how I'm powering stuff, as I said in another thread going to try a different tube in the 400+ drive section and see if that gives it more headroom and calms the slave down, then I'll likely sell the other Strategy.

Else plan is decent preamp such as the Alembic F-2B into 2 Strategies using various wire combinations to power either each side of one strategy or the 2 strategies together, lots of options.

I'm sure Matamp will sort the tube preamp, it's an after thought at the moment while they work on their hybrid head and I'm the only person to ask about a preamp so far, so I hope when they sit down and design it they realise it has to be 1u-2u otherwise its a waste of time.

I was thinking my rig would look best with 14u shock mounted rack with 4x10 ontop of it and an 8x10 each side :)

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='605746' date='Sep 22 2009, 03:14 PM']Yeah the idea crossed my mind, but 2 Strategies would actually be able to run 4 8x10's and my 400+ another 2

In the rack currently is the 400+ and Strategy 400 until I sort out how I'm powering stuff, as I said in another thread going to try a different tube in the 400+ drive section and see if that gives it more headroom and calms the slave down, then I'll likely sell the other Strategy.

Else plan is decent preamp such as the Alembic F-2B into 2 Strategies using various wire combinations to power either each side of one strategy or the 2 strategies together, lots of options.

I'm sure Matamp will sort the tube preamp, it's an after thought at the moment while they work on their hybrid head and I'm the only person to ask about a preamp so far, so I hope when they sit down and design it they realise it has to be 1u-2u otherwise its a waste of time.

I was thinking my rig would look best with 14u shock mounted rack with 4x10 ontop of it and an 8x10 each side :)[/quote]

that would look sweet. i'm contemplating a matamp rig after i get my shuker

[quote name='drthirkenstein' post='604965' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:58 PM']oh i dunno

i have a gt 200 and matching 2,400 watt matamp 810

and i'd say that it doesnt really have that much clean headroom. however i borrowed my friends svt classic the other day at practice and thought it sounded totally sh*t compared to the matamp so i must like it!

the best solution would probably be to get another gt200 or a slave and have the cab re-wired into two 410s...but then again thats silly money. i'm thinking of getting one of them warwick x-tremes or something similar and using that to power the bottom 4 speakers sort of like a sub.

The clean tone IS beautiful; it's just that if you're going up against guitarists running 100watters flat out into 412s it doesnt have the power. But once you get over it and embrace the dirt of cranking the gt200 you will love it. That is what its made for.

no pedals, just a musicman into an overdriven gt200 and it gives an awesome sound.[/quote]

i don't know with a decent power supply solid state can't touch valves for frequency response etc

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='608607' date='Sep 25 2009, 01:25 PM']Haha, awesome I rang them today about possibly ordering 2 GT200's just going to give Monz's a good ragging tomorrow :) see how it handles my band[/quote]

In your dreams oh young one... You wanna rag em you buy em :rolleyes: