Why become a member? ×

Pretty basses

LukeFRC

Well I figure I should show off a wee bit, I think I now have two amazing basses I am super happy with.

My first bass was the status shark proactive that gets sold on on here every 4 months. When I was in my old band I sold it to get a Fender CIJ '57 RI P bass for that classic thump and to cut through more. The shark was sold to buy a blue warwick streamer stage one off warwickhunt.
The Fender was sold to buy the Squier below.
The blue warwick was lovely but it took me a long time to like it and use it, something about its tone didnt sound right. I found a natural one on gumtree and sold bluey.
I also made my own cheapy fretless for well under 100 with parts bought on here, and a guitar (! i know) which I try and play off a guy on here.
Ive forgotten the names of most the folk I can thank for selling me such great gear.

I play them through a Hughes and Kettner Quantum 600 head into a Tech Soundsystems classic 2x12.
I also sometimes play with a Bass Pox XT live that I recently bought, Its great though I have a habit of tweeking setting in soundchecks and then accedentally saving over patches I need....

anyway on to the pictures...

And last of all my home built fretless.

Vox standard bass body, weighs a flippin tonne, 'routed' for a pup with a hammer and chisel.
no name neck I ripped the frets out of and coated with ronseal diamond hard varnish.
MM style pup, 'screwjack' bridge...

It plays, its not awful, its not great. Body is too heavy and will get replaced eventually, as will the neck....

yes it is a guitar. im sorry. if it helps i really can't play the thing...
yeah the home build may keep getting stuff added to it with felt pens. I figure as I am an artist by training it can only add to the value of the thing. I only used it live once, half way through, with the stress of playing fretless too the amp cuts out, i think it is my soldering and switch to the fretted only to find that doesnt work either. i lent it to a friend and he did use it live for stuff, must have done his back in, its super heavy!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='603019' date='Sep 19 2009, 05:09 PM']And last of all my home built fretless.

Vox standard bass body, weighs a flippin tonne, 'routed' for a pup with a hammer and chisel.
no name neck I ripped the frets out of and coated with ronseal diamond hard varnish.
MM style pup, 'screwjack' bridge...

It plays, its not awful, its not great. [color="#FF0000"][b]Body is too heavy and will get replaced eventually, as will the neck.[/b][/color]...[/quote]

You mean that you're going to get rid of it? :)

It sounds like the old classic: "I've had the same broom for 20 years and in that time its only had 3 shafts and 4 heads" :rolleyes:

no, body is too heavy to play really. some super hard wood. so at somepoint i may get a new body for it.
the neck was home defretted, the ronseal is great but it is too hard to sand back, it puddled at the edges of the fretboard meaning I dont have much of a radius on it. so at some point i may stick something else on it.

even if i was trying to get rid of it its probably worth less than a packet of space raiders!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='603012' date='Sep 19 2009, 04:55 PM']Squier '57 RI Precision Bass

Early 1982 JV P bass, somebody replaced the pups.
JV02479, still has the sticker of the shop it as bought from.

Its amazing to play. I've tried out the current US '57RI and prefer this! Though I am biased.[/quote]

I got me one of dem!!! Super basses! Mines just like yours - will be using it with Mike Berry and The Outlaws in a couple of weeks time.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='605151' date='Sep 21 2009, 11:19 PM']I got me one of dem!!! Super basses! Mines just like yours - will be using it with Mike Berry and The Outlaws in a couple of weeks time.[/quote]

see thats good to know. I've not played a silly amount of fenders but to my hands and ears this is a very good one. If someone with 5460 basses has one and plays it it cannae be bad!
Have you got the nice grain on the wood that you get on the early ones with the fender logos? My pups have been replaced with SD SPB-1 (i think thats what he said they are) what are the original pups like in comparison would you think?

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='603346' date='Sep 20 2009, 09:05 AM']no, body is too heavy to play really. some super hard wood. so at somepoint i may get a new body for it.
the neck was home defretted, the ronseal is great but it is too hard to sand back, it puddled at the edges of the fretboard meaning I dont have much of a radius on it. so at some point i may stick something else on it.

even if i was trying to get rid of it its probably worth less than a packet of space raiders![/quote]

i've got to say, i agree with Delberthot, if you're swapping the body and the neck you're getting rid of the bass really. you're using those eletronics and pickups in a new bass.

[quote name='Tait' post='606192' date='Sep 22 2009, 10:29 PM']i've got to say, i agree with Delberthot, if you're swapping the body and the neck you're getting rid of the bass really. you're using those eletronics and pickups in a new bass.[/quote]

well yessss but if i sat down and did my sums i would just buy a new bass rather than upgrade most/all of it.
which wouldnt be so fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think it's pretty, but I do play in a metal band.

The flames are 2mm Aluminium checkerplate which took about 5 hours to cut out.

The headstock is out band logo, stainless steel, painted with a glues on chain mounted on the same chckerplate (and yes I know it is upside down, it has been remounted)

The bass itself is a Wesley, not really a good enough player to buy a decent one yet I'm afraid.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='603012' date='Sep 19 2009, 04:55 PM']Squier '57 RI Precision Bass

Early 1982 JV P bass, somebody replaced the pups.
JV02479, still has the sticker of the shop it as bought from.

Its amazing to play. I've tried out the current US '57RI and prefer this! Though I am biased.[/quote]

I have one exactly the same as that too. My dad has one with a rosewood fretboard and he prefers mine by miles... The maple really brings out the zing with the tone control :) How does the pickup in yours sound? Mine doesn't have the original in it, it's got a Dimarzio Model P. I wouldn't change it out for the world...Just incase you weren't happy with yours, I thought I'd give you a heads up on how good that pickup sounds in one of these basses :rolleyes: