Why become a member? ×

Advice needed for fuzz within a band setting

burno70

I use an assmaster, I aboslutely love the sound of it on the bass, especially with a bit of octave - but when I'm using it with the band it doesn't sound quite 'right'.

I've tried increasing and even reducing the mids on the amp and/or the bass to see if that helps but it's not really giving the effect I'm after.

It's not an issue of volume as the bass is present within the song, it just seems to lack definition. I'm trying to get the same sound out of it when I play 'solo' and bring it into the band - if you know what I mean?

EQ is the only answer. Perhaps you need an EQ pedal after the dirt pedal (put them both in a bypass loop or close together for simultaneous switching) bringing up the highs and hi mids should help.

EDIT: What EQ do you have on your amp?

I'm just thinking if you get a sound you want when playing on your own, then it's just the guitars and drums drowning out certain frequencies, and you need to boost these.

Edited by cheddatom

Hey thanks for the quick response.

Yeah your explanation makes sense, in that it must be the other instruments drowning out the fuzz at certain frequencies.

I Have a markbass 503 head and tend to leave the eq flat.

I'd rather not go down the additional pedals route for the eq and I'd rather avoid a bypass loop if possible due to board space. But if it turns out to be the best solution I'll look into it.

I think my mate still has a GEB-1? boss eq thang so I could have a go at that.

I'll have to wait until next praccy to push the highs and high mids up and see what effect that has.

Would this be down to the pedal at all? Or is this an issue with most fuzzes?

Cheers

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='603555' date='Sep 20 2009, 01:32 PM']Hey Burno, I think the EQ thing is the way around it. Might take some time to work it out though.[/quote]

Yeah, I got band praccy tonight so will give the EQ some adjustments for the songs I use Fuzz on.

Cool avatar by the way!

It could also be your amp positioning etc, but obviously that will affect your overall tone, not just in distorted bits. I used to use distortion 80% of the time, and I never had trouble, but I had a guitar combo right next to my ear feeding me all the nasty high mids and highs.