Why become a member? ×

Another "which bass?" thread....

TheBlueFalcon

I didn't want to hijack anyone else's thread, so I thought it would be better to start a new one.

I've been looking around at information online for the past couple of weeks and seen advice to other people about going in to a store to try before buying. The only local place is a bit small and their bass range is very limited. I am planning on visiting a much bigger store soon (in the next week or so) but I really don't know what I should be looking for. I was hoping I could get some advice, so that I can go in with a good idea of what I should be considering.

Although it will be my first bass, I really want to look at something above a "standard" starter bass. One that won't need any upgrades and something that I am less likely to need to replace for a while. I would prefer to buy new, as the dealer I am going to will make sure it is set up correctly. I really wouldn't know what to check when buying a 2nd hand bass, so knowing me I would end up with a duffer. I'm looking at spending up to around £400 if I need to, but if spending more would be a big enough benefit then I might consider it.

I am looking for a guitar that is good for slapping but also does other styles well, as there is no particular style that I intend to stick to solely but slapping will be my main interest. I have small hands (I think) so I have been looking at Ibanez basses. I have been looking at the SR300, SR500, SR520. I was originally considering the BTB range, but I wasn't sure if going for a 35" neck would be a good idea.

So what other Ibanez models should I consider (if any) and what other basses from other manufacturers should I consider?

I'll be buying either a Roland Cube 30 Bass or a Line 6 Studio 110 to use with it.

The Rockbass Streamer Standard 2 pickups has a tone to die for and the neck is very stable, you can set up those to play like butter with very low action without fret buzz.

The Ibanez SR500 is probably the most comfortable bass you can buy in that price range. Low weight, thin neck, good balance, a joy to play.

I have had very good experiences with both of those, I own their 5strings models. For tone, I would choose the Rockbass, but I have a weak back so I play 95% of the time with the Ibanez.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='600374' date='Sep 16 2009, 03:55 PM']How about a Squier VM Jazz bass?[/quote]

I know I probably shouldn't rule anything out on looks, but I'm not sure that I like the Fender style. I keep being drawn towards the looks of the Ibanez basses. Having said that, I think I need to hear a Fender (or 2) so that I can compare. If a not so nice looking bass (to me) felt right or sounded much better, I would certainly put that before looks.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='600420' date='Sep 16 2009, 04:32 PM']The Rockbass Streamer Standard 2 pickups has a tone to die for and the neck is very stable, you can set up those to play like butter with very low action without fret buzz.

The Ibanez SR500 is probably the most comfortable bass you can buy in that price range. Low weight, thin neck, good balance, a joy to play.

I have had very good experiences with both of those, I own their 5strings models. For tone, I would choose the Rockbass, but I have a weak back so I play 95% of the time with the Ibanez.[/quote]

I'll take a peek at the Rockbass.

I quite liked the SR500 when I saw it, but some reviews have said that the finish on the body is quite easy to mark and supposedly wears fairly quicky. Therefore, I was considering the SR520 instead. They are exactly the same except for the neck. The SR500 uses Jutoba/Bubinga and the SR520 uses Maple/Rosewood. I'm not sure what differences that brings, but the SR520 I can get for £50 less.

The weight of the Ibanez basses is another reason I am drawn to them. I've had a few minor back and neck problems over the years, so I think it would be better to go for something lighter.

[quote name='TheBlueFalcon' post='600465' date='Sep 16 2009, 06:00 PM']I'll take a peek at the Rockbass.

I quite liked the SR500 when I saw it, but some reviews have said that the finish on the body is quite easy to mark and supposedly wears fairly quicky. Therefore, I was considering the SR520 instead.[/quote]

Yup, the body finish is VERY delicate, I can confirm that. On the other hand, if you buff it, its one of the most beautiful finishes I have ever seen. It will shine so much you will need sunglasses.

I suppose the main difference between both necks could be the jatoba/bubinga neck being more stable. Actually its mainly bubinga, just like the maple/rosewood neck is made of maple mostly. Bubinga is denser and harder than maple.

If you have a chance to try the Rockbass, make sure the model is the Streamer Standard with 2 MEC soapbar pickups and PASSIVE electronics (3 pots vol-vol-tone). Out of all Rockbasses, its by far the best one tone-wise in my humble opinion.

Edited by Fraktal

i think for your first bass, go and play everything in your price range. see what you like.
also don't be put off by the cheaper stuff. Its your first bass, and you are talking about a fair whack of money. If you take to bass playing you will probably end up upgrading and then you can buy secondhand.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Having already heard and fondled (ooer!!) a couple of Ibanez basses, I think I have already convinced myself that I want one. Therefore, I think it's down to which Ibanez to buy. I will most likely be using the first bass I buy for at least the next 4 years (hopefully longer if I get it right) so I really do feel that moving up from the SR300 would put my mind at rest and stop me from getting those "I wish I would have...." thoughts. The only thing I might consider at some point would be a Status, but at over £2k it won't be happening for a long time (if at all).

I would have gone for the SR520 already, but I'll have to wait until November for it. If I could get one now, my mind wouldn't be wandering to the SR700. Another thing on my mind is if a 35" neck will really make much difference over a 34". Even though I have small hands, an extra inch spread out over 24 frets doesn't sound like it will be THAT much different. Therefore, an Ibanez BTB could be a possibilty after all. There is the BTB470 and BTB670 that I could consider with the above SR's.

I think I am confusing myself.

I wouldnt say you look confused at all, its perfectly reasonable that with so many different choices in the market today you need some time to set up your mind.

In the end, and as previous posters have pointed already, the best way to decide is to try them all by yourself.

Oh, by the way, and just to help confuse you a bit more :) Status has a model you can order with several custom options, such as body wood, string width, pickups, electronics, etc. I think its called the Smartbass and the cheapest one goes for 1000£ if I recall correctly. I would give you a link but the web is being updated, apparently. Maybe Outtoplayjazz could help us here, though you can always send Status an email and ask about.

Im pretty surprised that your taste in basses seems to be pretty close to my own, heh!

You are right, I think I'm actually frustrated rather than confused. I would have had an SR520 by now, if they were readily available, but not being able to get one has made me start looking at other models.

Although I do agree with trying them for myself, I don't really think I am experienced enough to do that yet. All I could do is listen to someone else play it and then hold it to get the feel of it. I doubt there will be a major difference in sound and I can't imagine there would be much difference in the feel of them either. Or at least not to my untrained senses in this area. I think going somewhere to compare would really start to confuse me.

If I consider the BTB series (But I am still wondering about that extra inch) there is the BTB470 and BTB670. There is also a Limited Edition BTB600 from 2007.

Unfortunately, the Status would be out of my price range for a while. I didn't know they did one at that price though, as the cheapest on their price list is £1395. I was looking at the KingBass II, which starts at £2085. I need to try and stick to something under £500 for now.

Edited by TheBlueFalcon

Personally...

I would go into a shop and try a few basses around the £500 to 800 mark. Choose the one you like best. Then....post in the items wanted section on this forum and see what turns up. I've done loads of trades/buys on here and no-one will look to pass on a duffer. You'll save a few quid and get some good advice in the process also.

Your budget should easily pick up a GnL Tribute, Musicman Sub, Jap Jazz/Precision (possibly a US).......the list goes on. If you find you didn't like it then you would be able to movit on through BC without much of a hit.

Sorry to mess with your mind but there's an SR700 for sale here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=60856&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=60856&hl=[/url]

Just for the record, I have no interest in this sale.

[quote name='Ray' post='602621' date='Sep 18 2009, 11:28 PM']Sorry to mess with your mind but there's an SR700 for sale here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=60856&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=60856&hl=[/url]

Just for the record, I have no interest in this sale.[/quote]

Thanks, I had a look last night. If it had been Charcoal Brown I would have seriously considered it.

Edited by TheBlueFalcon