Why become a member? ×

Marshall Bass Amp Advice...

Muriel

I heard from a friend that Marshall bass amps are just generally rubbish. It's too late for me I already have one. But because it's my first amp I don't really know the difference between all the brands out there.

I just wanted to know if this was true or if I should have looked elsewhere.

By the way I have a 30watt Marshall MBB series...

Having had a Marshall MB4210 for well over a year now, I think they are just as good as anything else out there in the same price range. Lots of headroom, 2 channels (effectively three with the blend dunction) and pretty versatile. I have gigged with it many times and have recently added the MBC115 cabinet as well. I have never had an issue with reliability and I don't forsee a need to replace it in the future.

That said, tone is a very personal thing. I didn't like the Ashdown or Peavey tones in the same price range, but others do. The important question is do you like the sound you're getting?

There's a view held by some that Marshall are crap. Others think they're perfectly acceptable and quite good value for money.

Either way, these are just opinions and if you're happy with your Marshall that's fine. Frankly, when you're talking about cheerful 30w blasters there's really not much difference between the various manufacturers, so don't let anyone badge-snob you.

If you move on to getting a more powerful amp for gigging (and you will need a bigger amp eventually, if that's the route you decide to go) you can try out some different models / manufacturers and make up your own mind as to what fits your needs and tastes.

Enjoy your MBB - you never forget your first amp.

I think the most reason most people think Marshall are crap with bass amps is because they're more well known for guitar amps.

I think a lot of it is gear snobbery as well. They don't want the same as all the guitarists out there, they want everyone to know they're the bass player.

I just purchased a VBC412 Cab off Thumperbob on here and it's great. Speak to him about Marshall bass stuff.