Why become a member? ×

Sub-forum for non-bass music discussion?

BottomEndian

I have a deep, deep yearning within my soul (...well, I may have overstated that, but you get the gist...) for a sub-forum that falls somewhere between "General Bass Discussion" and "Off Topic", called something like "General Music Discussion".

A lot of what's in "General Bass Discussion" isn't anything to do with bass, but a lot to do with music. Couldn't "Off Topic" be reserved for stuff that's genuinely off-topic (completely non-music), and "General Bass Discussion" be reserved for stuff that's genuinely bass?

Or does nobody care but me? Wouldn't be the first time in my life, I assure you. :)

Just to be difficult, can I reg a vote to keep things as they are. I quite enjoy the diversity of general bass discussion.

We've got dedicated forums for basses, effects, amps, technique, gigging and recording. If we take general music [i]out[/i] of Gen Bass Disc, there won't be much left to go in there... :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='597325' date='Sep 13 2009, 02:40 PM']Just to be difficult, can I reg a vote to keep things as they are. I quite enjoy the diversity of general bass discussion.

We've got dedicated forums for basses, effects, amps, technique, gigging and recording. If we take general music [i]out[/i] of Gen Bass Disc, there won't be much left to go in there... :)[/quote]

I'd vote against it too, although I agree with the op that some topics are not bass related, yet not Off topic and so don't really belong anywhere. Maybe rename General Bass Discussion to General Discussion. (or something with a snappier title :rolleyes:)

[quote name='SteveO' post='597330' date='Sep 13 2009, 01:45 PM']Maybe rename General Bass Discussion to General Discussion. (or something with a snappier title :))[/quote]
That's a good idea and a good compromise. It's not as if general music discussion is currently being inhibited by the sub-forum title. Might also push some of the gear and technique related stuff into the appropriate dedicated sub-forums.

OT could then be re-specified as being for non-musical discussion. Might tidy up some of the cross-over stuff that slides into OT, e.g. band problems.

My, we're all fizzing with ideas today!

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='597387' date='Sep 13 2009, 02:53 PM']OT could then be re-specified as being for non-musical discussion. Might tidy up some of the cross-over stuff that slides into OT, e.g. band problems.[/quote]

Oh Lordy, I thought the whole of Basschat was OT, thats obviously where I've been going wrong! :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='SteveO' post='597330' date='Sep 13 2009, 01:45 PM']Maybe rename General Bass Discussion to General Discussion. (or something with a snappier title :))[/quote]
[quote name='skankdelvar' post='597387' date='Sep 13 2009, 02:53 PM']That's a good idea and a good compromise. It's not as if general music discussion is currently being inhibited by the sub-forum title. Might also push some of the gear and technique related stuff into the appropriate dedicated sub-forums.

OT could then be re-specified as being for non-musical discussion. Might tidy up some of the cross-over stuff that slides into OT, e.g. band problems.[/quote]
Yep. This could work too, and be less complicated than an extra forum.

I like the idea of a general music discussion forum, but perhaps with a slightly more specific title - how about 'General Music Discussion'? I can see some of the less alert members using a 'General Discussion' forum for, er, general discussion - you know, like you would at the pub after a couple of beers...speaking of which... :)

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='SteveO' post='597330' date='Sep 13 2009, 02:45 PM']Maybe rename General Bass Discussion to General Discussion. (or something with a snappier title :lol:)[/quote]

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='597387' date='Sep 13 2009, 03:53 PM']That's a good idea and a good compromise. It's not as if general music discussion is currently being inhibited by the sub-forum title. Might also push some of the gear and technique related stuff into the appropriate dedicated sub-forums.

OT could then be re-specified as being for non-musical discussion. Might tidy up some of the cross-over stuff that slides into OT, e.g. band problems.[/quote]

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='597521' date='Sep 13 2009, 06:41 PM']Yep. This could work too, and be less complicated than an extra forum.[/quote]

:) What, are you mad? I wouldn't trust the opinion of anyone who's crazy enough to support one of my ideas.

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='597528' date='Sep 13 2009, 06:47 PM']I like the idea of a general music discussion forum, but perhaps with a slightly more specific title - how about 'General Music Discussion'? I can see some of the less alert members using a 'General Discussion' forum for, er, general discussion - you know, like you would at the pub after a couple of beers...speaking of which... :lol:[/quote]

Phew, the voice of reason. :rolleyes: