Why become a member? ×

first large combo/head and cab

Geek99

Can someone suggest a decent combo or head/cab as I want to step up from a laney 30 watt combo.
Large enough for a pub gig / rehearsal. I have a zoom b2 so not too bothered about onboard effects and
modelling. Not too fussed about brand as long as people rate it. Would rather get quality than cheap but i'm
not spending a fortune either. Its only a hobby! Thanks

Check out the For Sale threads for Eden combos... there were a couple not so long ago...

Start there, IMV..and you have a very good 300 watt combo that will deliver...add a extn cab and you can get around 500 watts of power...which should cover most basses...

Just a suggestion..

I've just been in a very similar position: joining my first band and wondering what to do for stage gear. For me, quality rather than cheap, but also on a budget points straight away to the second hand market.

What I've ended up with is an almost new Hartke LH1000 head (cost me £350), two pretty battered but servicable Peavey 210 TVX cabs (about £60 each) and some serious cables from an ebay seller called bassic bits to join it all together. Bassically :) , I've spent just over £500 to get IMHO a pretty serious rig, with the flexibility of only using one 2 x 10 cab in a smaller venue. But that's just what I've done - there as many opinions as there are members on here. Happy hunting!

[quote name='Daquifsta' post='594307' date='Sep 9 2009, 09:14 PM']I've just been in a very similar position: joining my first band and wondering what to do for stage gear. For me, quality rather than cheap, but also on a budget points straight away to the second hand market.

What I've ended up with is an almost new Hartke LH1000 head (cost me £350), two pretty battered but servicable Peavey 210 TVX cabs (about £60 each) and some serious cables from an ebay seller called bassic bits to join it all together. Bassically :) , I've spent just over £500 to get IMHO a pretty serious rig, with the flexibility of only using one 2 x 10 cab in a smaller venue. But that's just what I've done - there as many opinions as there are members on here. Happy hunting![/quote]

IIRC the Peavey cabs are only 175 watts rms@4 ohms, so there is a real danger of damaging the drivers with your Hartke if you give it some stick.
The Peaveys are IMO a great sounding 2x10,just take care with that volume knob!

[quote name='casapete' post='594761' date='Sep 10 2009, 02:22 PM']IIRC the Peavey cabs are only 175 watts rms@4 ohms, so there is a real danger of damaging the drivers with your Hartke if you give it some stick.
The Peaveys are IMO a great sounding 2x10,just take care with that volume knob![/quote]

Yup, you're spot on there Casapete, but the Hartke's two output stages only ( :) 'only' ) do 320 watts @ 4 ohms each, and so far I've never needed to go past about 6 on the loud knob, so I think it will be ok. And I second your view on the Peavey cabs - solidly built and nice sounding.

Ive got a very good Hartke Hydrive 115 combo for sale. Its 250 watts of power with a great compressor and value simulation settings that add extra harmonics to the sound. It is load enough for pug gigs and rehearsals.

Prices on the net go from £600 to £500.

Im asking £300 and its almost new with no marks, dents or wear.

[quote name='Daquifsta' post='594307' date='Sep 9 2009, 09:14 PM']I've just been in a very similar position: joining my first band and wondering what to do for stage gear. For me, quality rather than cheap, but also on a budget points straight away to the second hand market.

What I've ended up with is an almost new Hartke LH1000 head (cost me £350), two pretty battered but servicable Peavey 210 TVX cabs (about £60 each) [u][b]and some serious cables from an ebay seller called bassic bits to join it all together.[/b][/u] Bassically :) , I've spent just over £500 to get IMHO a pretty serious rig, with the flexibility of only using one 2 x 10 cab in a smaller venue. But that's just what I've done - there as many opinions as there are members on here. Happy hunting![/quote]

Thats Dave/OBBM. Regular poster on here and great quality cables. I only use his cables now and you are right they are serious.

[quote name='The_D' post='602619' date='Sep 18 2009, 11:24 PM']Thats Dave/OBBM. Regular poster on here and great quality cables. I only use his cables now and you are right they are serious.[/quote]

Well that's even better - I've been supporting a fellow basschatter and I didn't even know it :)
Did my first gig with this rig on Thursday night - very happy indeed, and so was the other band's bass player (we were kit sharing) - trouser flapping!

[quote name='voxpop' post='602535' date='Sep 18 2009, 08:50 PM']Ive got a very good Hartke Hydrive 115 combo for sale. Its 250 watts of power with a great compressor and value simulation settings that add extra harmonics to the sound. It is load enough for pug gigs and rehearsals.

Prices on the net go from £600 to £500.

Im asking £300 and its almost new with no marks, dents or wear.[/quote]
thanks but am just researching at moment