Why become a member? ×

what style of bass do you prefer?

nash

Shapes like the Ritter Roya, Overwater & such do it for me.
Although I like Jazz & P basses, I think the top horn looks really awful. Like they designed everything else & just left a fat mongaloidish bit to fasten the strap to.
It's the only thing that puts me off em or I'd have one in a second.

It's more the tone than the style for me, but for "visible" drooling I love stripey through-necks. Twin pickups lend a nice balance to the body, and I do like natural wood with no scratchplate (if I owned a house I'd probably be one of those that strips all paintwork). I do like fender jazz for the look but I've never come across one which sounded remotely inspiring (and believe me, I've tried) - maybe I've just been unlucky.

Tonewise I love Warwicks for the growl AND the shape (and the finish!), but the 6-string Tobias I've got does sound good when pushed (with a little low action for extra noise). A nice acoustic bass is a joy to behold.

The Ashbory never fails to get a raised eyebrow and a question, it looks wicked in black :)

If it has to be one bass and one bass only, then make it a P Bass for me. Specifically, a 57 style with the maple board. I'm [i]so[/i] over rosewood on F-style anything.... partly my own preference for 50s aesthetics, and partly that it's all you ever see below a certain price point nowadays, esepcially if you're a lefty like me.

Eventually, I'd like to have a couple of fairly whacky, retro things. I [i]love[/i] the bass version Eastwood do of the Jack White Airplane guitar, but three or four P bass types are on the list first! :)

I appreciate loads of different styles of basses, but I always end up coming back to the Precision. 4 strings, maple neck and a cool sunburst.

After that I think it comes down to Fender, Rickenbacker and the Gibson EB0-3 styles really. Vigier as well, but that is more due to sound rather than cosmetic looks.

Always fender, Always a Precision. I was never sold on jazzes, look..wrong, although I do like the narrowness of the neck. I think the older the better, a 60 something precision is my ultimate bass, looks and tone wise. my dads 80 something P would do...in its all black sexyness... Mmmm :wub:

EDIT! I realy like the rickenbacker styling as well...

Edited by MRJAKESK8

[quote name='nash' post='593301' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:18 PM']for me it has to be Fender and Fender inspired style basses. mainly traditional colours.

i am into the MM Big Al. kind of looks like it should of been made in the 50's/60's[/quote]

after a bit of shilly shallying with ricks manson fender mm and shuker

i am really interested in a bass which is a good player..good sound reasonably made and easy on spares
fender!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Fitz666' post='605873' date='Sep 22 2009, 05:40 PM']As a complete metal head I do love a pointy bass, I have a Flying V bass and a BC rich.[/quote]

Where is the B.C.Rich?

I am a fan of pointy,usually handmade basses,I have 10 B.C.Rich basses,although 2 of them are Fender shaped :)

I have a Fender MIM P bass maple neck with lake placid blue body, I love the look and how comfortable it is

I recently brought a Maple Ric, which I have wanted since I was a boy (in the 70s!) and although I gigged it for the first time recently and loved it, somehow it has made me appreciate the Fender more

I am not keen on modern looking basses, 5 strings or actives (although it would come in handy in the covers band as sometimes key changes leave me no where to go if trying to copy the original bass lines)

I did own a 5 string in the 90s as I was commanded to use one by the band leader, some horrible purple colored thing

So sorry to be boring but my desert island bass would be a simple P or J